Wanted live rabbits for restocking some land I have.willing to travel pm me if you can get any please

does restocking ever work unless the reason for there disapearence has been rectified :hmm:

If the reason for there disappearance is maxi or the rabbit virus and there are no rabbits left alive in the area and the rabbits that you are restocking with are healthy (maxi and virus free) then I believe it would work. Maxi and the rabbit virus are spread from rabbit to rabbit and if all the native rabbits in an area have been wiped out there would be no infected rabbits for the restocked rabbits to catch either disease from. That is the theory anyway, I believe this is being tried out on the continent. I would be interested in knowing how successful this is. Is there anyone with any past experience of restocking rabbits.

Its also spread via mosquito's as mixi is blood borne - so no matter if an area is clear,

it only takes one of the little suckers to have fed off a rabbit miles away to infect the new area.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixy is spread via a flea and that flea can live in a rabbit warren quite happily until a new resident comes in to offer it lunch .........

I take it you read this. You shouldn't always believe everything you read. It's not always true.

Mixy is spread via a flea and that flea can live in a rabbit warren quite happily until a new resident comes in to offer it lunch .........

I take it you read this. You shouldn't always believe everything you read. It's not always true.

No I know because I have nearly 40 years experience of ferreting and my job is a rabbit catcher so I need to make it my business to know all about the rabbit ... Maybe you should try reading a bit and perhaps you could learn something ........

You want some cream for that burn ;)

• 2 months later...

No I know because I have nearly 40 years experience of ferreting and my job is a rabbit catcher so I need to make it my business to know all about the rabbit ... Maybe you should try reading a bit and perhaps you could learn something ........

I am infact a great reader, and I too have many years experience with catching rabbits.While it is true that myxy is thought to be spread by fleas this is not so with RHD which is thought to be spread by contact with other rabbits. If you do a bit of research on the internet you will find that in Spain and Portugal they have done quite a bit of research on this.

You want some cream for that burn ;)

? Best to leave these discussions to the grown ups son.

caravan park i do was full of rabbits over run with them started to use old burrows then the mixi appeared now the place is moving no more i think your find it is true

• Like 1