Help Any Advice !!keeping Firearms On A Liveaboard Boat.

Hi all,

thinking of moving on to a barge,currently live in a house and have a shotgun cert,what are the restrictions if any

about keeping guns on boat ,obviously security is the important factor .but my view is aslong as they are secured in there current cabinet

and perhaps alarm the boat aswell ,carnt see what the problem will be.This will be my permanant residence,Any body have experience

of this or are currently doing this any info would be greatly received. Obviously will be speaking to police but just toying with idea first.(pls no speculators)

thanks

Where will the boat be used? In land waterways or canals or perhaps more further afield?

I would suggest it's no different to a caravan situation whereby the cabinet needs to be secured to the structure of the vessel, i.e. the hull somewhere and even better kept out of sight. Under the seats on a narrowboat would seem almost ideal for it. Not quite sure how you'd secure the cabinet, that might take some creativity.

The only other thing I can see as being a problem is whether you move around a lot, in and out of different forces, even so the certificate would be registered to wherever it would be permanently moored/based so the police know who is to administrate it and a point of contact if they need to visit.

Ideally, I would suggest asking your Enquiry officer to visit the boat when you buy it and give his advice on how best to meet the security needs.

Can't see there being many shotgun/firearm certificate holders whose permanent residence is a vessel but there's nothing to say you cant.

SS :thumbs:

Same as S.S .. I had some of my guns ,243,22 s/g in a cabinet in my caravan while renovating a barn ,the cabinet had to be fixed to the chassis of the caravan ,Under a seat out of view was ok, but obviously limited the size I could use , hence only a three gun .Although not ideal it served its purpose for a couple of years .Cant think you would have to much trouble to get a s/g cabinet passed ....good luck keep us updated

Will watch this thread as I'm in a similar position. I've got my house and a canal cruiser and have been wanting to upgrade to a narrow boat for years but can't decide wether to keep the house or live aboard,(if it was up to me I'd sell up and live on a boat tomorrow but the mrs ect ect...) my only reservation being my guns. Although I don't think I'd have a permanent mooring I'd be "constant cruising" so it could be hard? I'd be on the Lancaster canal which would all be under lancashire constabulary unless I decided yo take a trip over the ribble link on to the Leeds Liverpool but that would only be a holiday? As I say I've been cruising the canal for about 10 years now but never met anyone with a cabinet on the boat but that's not to say it can't be done! Keep us up to date on how you get on!! Good luck!!!

Atb ant

• 4 years later...