Thanks for that Foxdropper, I do understand what your saying, I've trained and treated all my dogs the same way from birth, and it's only Binx that behaves like this *shrugs*

anyway, this is the latest, Binx has been really good at my cousins, he whined for about 20 minutes every time they came back from a walk but then settled down again, I was very incouraged by this,

he came back at 10am, and we did as advised, my cousin said nothing to him, I was inside the house and she took him straight around the back, through the ally way and gate to the kennels, she was completely ignoring him, no eye contact etc..... she placed him back in with Zak and walked to the house, we were then hidden watching him through the kitchen window,

him and Zak were thrilled to see each other and were playfully getting reaquanted again, this lasted for 10 minutes and then Binx walks to the gate of the kennels and started to howl :wallbash: he's been howling and whining since them 10 minutes of play :no:

I've got one last thing to try and then I'm out of ideas, I'm going to black out his kennel and sound proof it as much as I can and see how that goes, I'm going to use 3 inch polystyrene to dim the sound, glued around the inside and some black paint on the small window, does this sound ok?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest SKINNER

try putting cotton wool in his ears as well, because he might be whinning and barking with strange noises? if this dosnt work try it on the neighbours

Edited by SKINNER

Thanks Marko, I really do love my dogs, and will try anything and everything before I'll consider re-homeing just to make sure that I've tryed everything possible first,

Binx is still in with Zak at the moment and still howling, can't put him into the sound proof kennel/my wooden shed, yet as the glue and the paint are not dry enough yet, will proberly be tommorow now, but had my daughter shouting in there before, and it's muffled the sound a bit, I hope to god this works!

I've bought some roasted ham bones, some raw chicken wings and pigs ears for the dogs later, as that's when the neighbour starts to complain, so hopefully they will last a few hours through the night :clapper: I'm hoping they do anyway :yes:

I also bought some ear plugs, a few packets of them, do you think with a bottle of wine I should give some to the neighbour? or will they think I'm taking the pee?? I don't want to upset them more than they are already :(

I think if you explain your predicament and that you are trying everything possible, so could they please bear with you untill you either sort the problem or admit defeat. I know i would be more sympathetic to someone who communicated with me.

Good luck.

MOLL.

Tina I'm sorry it didn't work i think that if you want the dog to be happy then you should think about looking for a home for him with one other dog in a house it sounds like he has Learned to behave like this and that you will not be able to change this easily maybe if we could see how he is acting (his body language etc ) some more people will be able to help it is hard to give advice on something u can not see can you post a vid of his behavior

I have a feeling that putting a dog in a "black out, can't hear a thing situation" is likely to drive it completely round the bend :( poor dog! I know you are doing your best but IMO sometimes you just have to make the tough decision and do what's right for the dog and find it another home.

It's a bit like trying to mend a broken down relationship: you keep on trying to patch things up but you know deep down that its not going to work.

I hope you manage to find a HAPPY solution for BOTH of you.

I have a feeling that putting a dog in a "black out, can't hear a thing situation" is likely to drive it completely round the bend :( poor dog! I know you are doing your best but IMO sometimes you just have to make the tough decision and do what's right for the dog and find it another home.

It's a bit like trying to mend a broken down relationship: you keep on trying to patch things up but you know deep down that its not going to work.

I hope you manage to find a HAPPY solution for BOTH of you.

:clapper:

Move the dog on to a completely different kind of situation,...find the critter somewhere different,..its the only way to break this cycle of behaviour,..or,..do the other thing... :yes:

But do something....and be quick... :thumbs:

If you are still determined to try and keep the dog DO phone Jim!!! At the end of the day he may agree with those of us who think it is better to find the dog another home but I think if you hear it from a professional trainer/behaviourist you might feel better about it.

Tina.........I am afraid I am with Foxdropper on this one.

I think you need to have a deep think on, and what I mean is this.........

If the dog was in physical pain that could not be cured, any decent person would PTS.........well I would say that the dog is in mental pain so whats the difference....

If you rehome, whats to stop the next owner doing the same and so on and so on?..........

If the RSPCA start having a good look at you and find an excuse to take away your other dogs, it may well cost the life of 4 and not 1!

I really hope you find a solution, but dont prolong the agony...........

Good luck :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help everyone :signthankspin:

Molly, I did go around there lastnight with some ear plugs and a bottle of nice red wine, I knocked the door started to explain and say sorry and she told me to go away with some rather choice words :icon_eek:

Ferret15, haven't got my digi-cam at the moment as my bro has borrowed it for his hols, but I'll try to discribe it for you, he stands at the gate of the kennel run, looking at the kitchen window with ear's pricked up howling, I have a blind on my window which I keep close except for the smallest of gaps, he sometimes gets up on his hind legs with his front paws on the gate, ear's pricked up and still whines, if he see's anyone, it get's ten times worse :no:

J Darcy, I to thought it was for attention and brought him and his kennel mate back into the house, but he still whines and howls, even when cuddling up to the family watching TV :blink:

Skycat, I tryed to phone yesterday a few times, it was busy, I have a breeder friend called Mike who is going to pop around later to have a look at him, he's been in the dogs business for over 30 years, and has looked after Mike Brown's whippets plenty of times while Mr Brown has been on holiday, so knows the breed well :thumbs:

Wilf, I understand what your saying but he was perfect (well not 100% but close to) when he stayed at my cousins for a few days, but she can't have a dog as her boyfriend is alergic to dogs, he did whine when he came back from walks for about 20 minutes but then settled down again, even at night he was good,

I didn't put him in the black out shed as when I went to put him in there, he stood firm and wouldn't budge, so I wasn't going to force him, and at least the shed finally got cleared of all the junk in there :thumbs:

I'll let you all know what Mike say's later, in the mean time, it's more chicken wings and pig's ears just to get an hours peace, :thumbs:

this is another thing I don't understand, he's still eating like he always has (a pig) and has not been stressed as to ever go off his food, and when he's out walking he's full of life and not depressed at all :blink:

i still think that the howling is to try and reunite the pack (the dog has an issue with the pack being split up half in the house half in the kennels) the fact that when he was away from the pack he was much more relaxed makes me think that unless you bring the pack back together all in the house your not going to solve this i thought that time away might be enough but its not like chalkwarren says i think you need to re home him as this wont be resolved while he is in the kennels. i know its hart breaking but try to do what will make the dog happy.