Why Is It Only Deben That Make Ferret Finders

Wondered about this myself mate,Deben will have obviously patented theirs,but that would be very easy to get around :yes: some years ago I used to repair nappy making machines for Proctor and Gamble :bad: (pampers)when Huggies brought out a nappy with something new on it ,procters would modify it by 1or2mm and slap it on their Pampers,and vice versa :blink: the mark up on ferret locators is huge,staggered nobody else is competing for a share in the market...

It's a matter of simple economics. Say Deben sell 2000 locators a year? If another was produced it would only get a share of that 2000 not the full market. is it worth another company spending on research and development for such a limited market?

TC

• Like 1

It's a matter of simple economics. Say Deben sell 2000 locators a year? If another was produced it would only get a share of that 2000 not the full market. is it worth another company spending on research and development for such a limited market?

TC

even the tooling costs for the plastic cases etc would make it a no brainer economically

Cant believe the price of em,Ive said it on here before ,I buy a lot of powertools,stud/pipe locators far cheaper ,the initial outlay would be recouped tenfold surely :hmm: one for Dragons Den maybe :laugh: can see it now Hillary holding my hob whilst Theo and Peter are netting up :boogy:

• Like 4
Guest scramble

i could have them copied in china in a blink but they would want a large order and there is only a niche market in the uk - not worth the hassle

Been down this route myself years ago, the PCB's were pence each and the MOQ wasn't as big as you'd think. tooling costs was the issue if i wanted to have my own housing.

While I can get the issue of costs for housing and such. What seems to be missing is that for a small run of perhaps <-10 they could easily be made in your shed over a weekend, all that needs doing is sourcing the electronics and finding a suitable form of housing. As long as your not asking money for it simply make up a set of plans with listed suppliers for parts and offer it out to folk to make their own?

I remember in the late 70s I had one of the 1st locators made it wasn't by deben I don't think, basically they were converted transistor radios & a transmitter fixed to a collar, a bit Heath Robinson in design but they worked ok, only thing was that sometimes you got the "top 40 hits" on Sunday whilst ferreting !

• Like 1