Questions About Whippet

Do you not think a collie x could potentially be a nightmare to train as a 1st dog? I've no doubt they make great dogs but in experienced hands :thumbs:

ok try a well bred bull x or a saluki .........lol

collie x hound would be steady (biddable),..and have brains ,...so would be easy to train...........

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahh back to the faithful little rag hounds again........   But this time its not 'can they do fox' or 'will they take deer'....   Its 'dont get one because a collie/grey is cheaper'   ......  

I'm guessing your not that long in the game either mate

i prefer six dogs to the one rabbit.............lol. whippets are loyal little fellas who lie on the couch all day and catch a few rabbits,.........cant argue with that...........

Posted Images

Ahh back to the faithful little rag hounds again........

But this time its not 'can they do fox' or 'will they take deer'....

Its 'dont get one because a collie/grey is cheaper' :laugh:

To the op.... great little dogs for all that is legal..... :thumbs:

• Like 3

Do you not think a collie x could potentially be a nightmare to train as a 1st dog? I've no doubt they make great dogs but in experienced hands :thumbs:

collie x hound would be steady (biddable),..and have brains ,...so would be easy to train...........

It's about Whippets as a 1st dog is it not? :thumbs: I've no experience with collie x's but seem to read a lot that they can be difficult but also great! Personally i wouldn't want to take the chance as a 1st dog!

I have a Whippet...knows who's boss...very easy to train...fast enough...decent nose...decent lamper...good retriever and an excellent choice 1st dog for bunnies imho :thumbs:

• Like 1

It's about Whippets as a 1st dog is it not? :thumbs: I've no experience with collie x's but seem to read a lot that they can be difficult but also great! Personally i wouldn't want to take the chance as a 1st dog!

I have a Whippet...knows who's boss...very easy to train...fast enough...decent nose...decent lamper...good retriever and an excellent choice 1st dog for bunnies imho :thumbs:

better with a bit of ridgeback/malamute/dingo and zippy the wonder dog in it though :laugh: :laugh:

better with a bit of ridgeback/malamute/dingo and zippy the wonder dog in it though :laugh: :laugh:

Let me know when you're next litter's due :laugh:

A whippet is a good little rabbiting dog and you are allowed to catch rabbits with them aslong as you have permission from the land owner with the permission your hunting on.

Also as for slipping 2 dogs on 1 rabbit that's just stupid. You should always single slip on a rabbit.

I'm guessing your obviously new to hunting so a whippet wouldn't be a bad choice for a first dog, however they can be costly. A good collie x grey would do the job just as good as a whippet in my opinion.

is lamping you just do or do you work your dogs during the day ?just with the comment you should only slip one dog

Lamping mainly mate to be honest when out day time i never work dogs on a lead so i suppose that was abit of a daft thing to say haha.

• Like 1

Yeah that was why i recomended the collie x as it has brains so is easier to train

Ahh back to the faithful little rag hounds again........

But this time its not 'can they do fox' or 'will they take deer'....

Its 'dont get one because a collie/grey is cheaper' :laugh:

To the op.... great little dogs for all that is legal..... :thumbs:

Haha that made me laugh im not saying dont get one theyre good dogs and all but for a first time dog owner would they do the job?

Course they would.

Ideal first dogs. Dont draw unwanted attention and slip under your jumper :yes:

Race em', work em', lure course em', show em'........share the couch with em' :laugh:

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket
  • Like 2

tbh in my opinion i prefer to have a little more than just a pure bred just due to past experience i found a collie grey caught alot more and wasnt much slower at all and thats not just on one occasion thats over a few different dogs. they seem to have a little more brains as well, also found beddy whippet is a fantastic dog to have if your into ferreting as well but the choice is yours just my opinion and past experence.

atb

post-64179-0-37172300-1365883633_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

tbh in my opinion i prefer to have a little more than just a pure bred just due to past experience i found a collie grey caught alot more and wasnt much slower at all and thats not just on one occasion thats over a few different dogs. they seem to have a little more brains as well, also found beddy whippet is a fantastic dog to have if your into ferreting as well but the choice is yours just my opinion and past experence.

atb

What was up with your pure whippets?

atb

bad feet no wind run in to fences hedges do not like the cold skin like paper :D

atb

bad feet no wind run in to fences hedges do not like the cold skin like paper :D

but apart from that............................... :laugh: