Questions About Whippet

hi i am looking into getting a whippet is there any laws on letting it catch a rabbit as i have some people saying no u cant and have heard other people say i can aslong as it one dog to 1 rabbit not 2 dogs one rabbit

If anyone on here could tell me the right answe i would be very grateful

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahh back to the faithful little rag hounds again........   But this time its not 'can they do fox' or 'will they take deer'....   Its 'dont get one because a collie/grey is cheaper'   ......  

I'm guessing your not that long in the game either mate

i prefer six dogs to the one rabbit.............lol. whippets are loyal little fellas who lie on the couch all day and catch a few rabbits,.........cant argue with that...........

Posted Images

It's only legal to catch rats and rabbits if you have the permission of the land owner, otherwise you contravene the hunting with dogs act,which states it to be illegal to hunt any wild animal with dogs , there is however an exemption for rats and rabbits with permission.

• Like 1

A whippet is a good little rabbiting dog and you are allowed to catch rabbits with them aslong as you have permission from the land owner with the permission your hunting on.

Also as for slipping 2 dogs on 1 rabbit that's just stupid. You should always single slip on a rabbit.

I'm guessing your obviously new to hunting so a whippet wouldn't be a bad choice for a first dog, however they can be costly. A good collie x grey would do the job just as good as a whippet in my opinion.

A whippet is a good little rabbiting dog and you are allowed to catch rabbits with them aslong as you have permission from the land owner with the permission your hunting on.

Also as for slipping 2 dogs on 1 rabbit that's just stupid. You should always single slip on a rabbit.

I'm guessing your obviously new to hunting so a whippet wouldn't be a bad choice for a first dog, however they can be costly. A good collie x grey would do the job just as good as a whippet in my opinion.

I'm guessing your not that long in the game either mate ;)

• Like 2

i prefer six dogs to the one rabbit.............lol. :laugh:

whippets are loyal little fellas who lie on the couch all day and catch a few rabbits,.........cant argue with that...........

i always slip 2 just incase one gets a text message

Nope not that long mate. I'm not saying their anything wrong with a whippet my mate has one and it's like a bullet but to buy one they cost a bomb unless you're lucky. Whereas a lurcher you can get for next to nothing.

Nope not that long mate. I'm not saying their anything wrong with a whippet my mate has one and it's like a bullet but to buy one they cost a bomb unless you're lucky. Whereas a lurcher you can get for next to nothing.

your choice of dog should not have an issue with funds .........you get what you need for a certain job ,......not because there cheaper .........lol

the dog will be hopefully spending a life time of loyalty to serve you ...........and if that dog picks up a serious injury ...........please dont decide its fate because of the funds ......you do whats right for the dog not for the pocket my friend.....

your choice of dog should not have an issue with funds .........you get what you need for a certain job ,......not because there cheaper .........lol

the dog will be hopefully spending a life time of loyalty to serve you ...........and if that dog picks up a serious injury ...........please dont decide its fate because of the funds ......you do whats right for the dog not for the pocket my friend.....

Good point i'd be willing to pay a lot of money for a good dog but it's not for me it's for the guy whos thread this is. If he's only starting out does he really want to be spending loads of money on a pup?

is lamping you just do or do you work your dogs during the day ?just with the comment you should only slip one dog

Good point i'd be willing to pay a lot of money for a good dog but it's not for me it's for the guy whos thread this is. If he's only starting out does he really want to be spending loads of money on a pup?

its not about money ...its about the best dog for his intended quarry and the terrain it will be running on ,..........different dogs for different purposes.......

in all fairness a whippet would be an ideal first dog for a bit of rabbiting/ferreting..........but i prefer a lurcher that can turn its hand to different tasks .........

a collie x would also be handy rabbit dog.........but you would hardly want a whippet if your using it for other things apart from rabbiting........i wouldnt run them on plains or big open areas as they lack the speed of the lurcher............

one thing i will say is read up on stuff and dont jump into anything............a decision can be made in seconds but a dog is for years and years..........