Rifle For Fox And Roe Recommendations Please ???

Hi guys

I am awaiting licence and I am looking for some recommendations for first rifle for fox and roe deer I have been going out with mate who has a tikka t3 22.2250 stainless with pes mod on it

Can anyone advise me what I should be looking at

Don't want the cheapest as I would rather get something now mid to upper range that I won't want to replace in a years time and I could keep for long time without wanting better upgrade

Light and straight would be good lol

I use a .243 it's legal on all species in Scotland and is not too big for damaging roe carcasses, and it's lethal on the todds! It's also light enough that you don't mind humping it around the hill, I have a sauer with an atec mod and ziess scope and a bipod a great setup.

I use a Tikka M55 contenental barrel medium weight with no silencer in 22-250 calbre with 50grn HPs superb on Roe in Scotland and also foxes

not so many calibers can match it for flat trajectory but looses out at extreme ranges

Had it 30 years now and it still shoots well

• Like 1

I use a Tikka M55 contenental barrel medium weight with no silencer in 22-250 calbre with 50grn HPs superb on Roe in Scotland and also foxes

not so many calibers can match it for flat trajectory but looses out at extreme ranges

Thanks for the info only question I would ask is what you feel is an extreme range ?

I'm in the belief that t3 22-2250 would be accurate to 350-400 yards before it moves much.

Am I thinking along the right lines ?

I use a .243 it's legal on all species in Scotland and is not too big for damaging roe carcasses, and it's lethal on the todds! It's also light enough that you don't mind humping it around the hill, I have a sauer with an atec mod and ziess scope and a bipod a great setup.

I agree with this 100%. The .243 is legal for all UK deer species, so if you get a chance to go for the reds, the one rifle will do it all.

Thanks for the info only question I would ask is what you feel is an extreme range ?

I'm in the belief that t3 22-2250 would be accurate to 350-400 yards before it moves much.

Am I thinking along the right lines ?

The 22-250 is one of the flattest shooting rifles there is in standard caliber without going wildcat.

and exceptionally accurate out to 300 yds although personally i would not shoot at live quarry out at those kind of ranges as my own personal limit with any rifle i call time at 180yds the caliber is capable of doing more i accept but those are my personal shooting standards with the type of deerstalking and wildlife control i am involved with.

From test I have done on target shooting a 50grain projectile will drop 1" at 100 1,5" at 200 yds and drop 4" at 300 yds

then the accuracy falls quickly away some tests i have done show a fall of 14" at 400yds through interpolation it can obviously be seen that between 300yds and 400yds the energy is falling away fast and even striking an intended live creature could lead to problems

As stated Its a good rifle to be used only on Roe deer and foxes but quite rightly insufficient energy and stopping power on larger animals . that is one reason it dosent comply south of the border in England with the deer act other than may be used on Muntjac and CWD but not Roedeer,

Under the Scottish law it complies in my view its a very accurate caliber if used in the right hands but its limitations are those who use it should be within the distances as stated and not try to extend their capabilities.

JMHO

Stu

• Like 1

A .243 will do all you want mate,if you intend to reload mate,my load of 80gn Sierra blitz under 45gns of win 760/h414 (max load) is simply quite stunning on foxes,and drops roe and cwd on the spot without a lot of meat damage,and is nice and flat out to 250 yds plus,and if you do wish to use it on larger deer the Hornady 95gn sst is an awesome round(scotland must be 100gn on large deer) and my recommended rifle would be Howa/weatherby vanguard.

A .243 will do all you want mate,if you intend to reload mate,my load of 80gn Sierra blitz under 45gns of win 760/h414 (max load) is simply quite stunning on foxes,and drops roe and cwd on the spot without a lot of meat damage,and is nice and flat out to 250 yds plus,and if you do wish to use it on larger deer the Hornady 95gn sst is an awesome round(scotland must be 100gn on large deer) and my recommended rifle would be Howa/weatherby vanguard.

Im with charlie caller 100% .243 :thumbs: roe ,reds ,fallow , fox

Its catch 22 really,personally I would go for the .22-250 if Roe and Fox were my only quarry ,unfortunately the powers that be have now allowed .22 centerfires for Muntjac and CWD in England and Wales but not Roe.Ludicrous in my view, as the. 222 and up have been proven very good for Roe in Scotland.So then you have the .243 a round that is legal for all deer in the UK and now allowed for Fox in alot of FLO'S.However, if you use different bullet weights for Fox and Deer, you either have to adjust your aim or even have two scopes for the rifle!Also I have found the .243 causes alot of bruising to the carcass more so than the .308 or even a 30.06 I have used!So yes the .243 can do it all yes but not without some draw backs!

Its catch 22 really,personally I would go for the .22-250 if Roe and Fox were my only quarry ,unfortunately the powers that be have now allowed .22 centerfires for Muntjac and CWD in England and Wales but not Roe.Ludicrous in my view, as the. 222 and up have been proven very good for Roe in Scotland.So then you have the .243 a round that is legal for all deer in the UK and now allowed for Fox in alot of FLO'S.However, if you use different bullet weights for Fox and Deer, you either have to adjust your aim or even have two scopes for the rifle!Also I have found the .243 causes alot of bruising to the carcass more so than the .308 or even a 30.06 I have used!So yes the .243 can do it all yes but not without some draw backs!

Yep I can see your point about different bullet weights,hence my reccomended 80gn blitz Sierra,I would not hesitate in using this loading on anything including fallow,the only time I would go up to a heavier bullet is on reds, then it would be England and wales 95gn sst,Scotland 100gn prohunter/gameking, in handloads or factory the 105 grain rws gecko,to be honest the man that had a .243 and wanted to stick to just one factory round for everything in England and Wales,could do far worse than stick to the superb Hornady 95gnsst,they put everything on the deck from foxes to red stags.

Yes CC alot of people have stated that they use the 95 gn bullets on stags but personally I never go lighter than 100gn in fullbore rifles.I have had a dalliance with the 95gn on Roe in 243 but found I was getting blow ups on impact and spoiling alot of meat on the animal?That was an Hornady Spire point I think?As you are aware you can't use that weight for large deer in Scotland.