Lamping Hares

Coursing people think every person who owns and hunts with a lurcher yearns for there dogs to be able to catch hares in the day time, why is that? :hmm: Its just not true that every person with a lurcher wishs to run daytime hares and go to the fens :no:

Edited by C Hall
  • Like 2

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lamped hare,daytime hare...difference?..f**k all apart from ones ran in daylight the other gets ran in the dark lol..if it gets caught its dying..same end result?.....back in the day of the late 80's

I find they taste the same as daytime hares.

ive ran hares on the lamp i think if there run regular you get some excellent sport ,i dont think its for failed daytime dogs ,yes they do make the odd mistakes but all lamped quarry does , they can

i never go out looking for hares just lamping rabbits,but just to test my dog ive run him on them the odd time on the lamp and its some animal to even catch on the lamp so i could well imagine my dog in the daytime just wouldnt be able to compete with a day time hare but thats just my opinion :thumbs:

What do people on here think of lamping hares ?

People who think its sport give yourselfs a shake for fxck sake. Get out in the daytime and if you cant catch them stick to your easy raddits, your only kidding yourselfs thinking your dog can catch a hare. A lad come with me at the end of dec with his little bitch what had being cleaning them up easy on the lamp last 6 it had run was all in the bag, anyway hare jumps 20 yards away and sure enough he drops her straight on about 2 min later bitch runs out of steam after never looking like catching it :whistling: If thats not proof in the pudding what is :laugh::thumbs:

and what gives you the right to tell others what and how to hunt, this is what annoys me, if you are into coursing then best of luck to you, but don't bring down another man for what he does.

The proof was there for me that day. when the hare runs so much better come daylight its deserves to be run in day light, but if you have to get you lamp out for them then carry on kidding yourselfs

• Like 1

People who think its sport give yourselfs a shake for fxck sake. Get out in the daytime and if you cant catch them stick to your easy raddits, your only kidding yourselfs thinking your dog can catch a hare. A lad come with me at the end of dec with his little bitch what had being cleaning them up easy on the lamp last 6 it had run was all in the bag, anyway hare jumps 20 yards away and sure enough he drops her straight on about 2 min later bitch runs out of steam after never looking like catching it :whistling: If thats not proof in the pudding what is :laugh::thumbs:
and what gives you the right to tell others what and how to hunt, this is what annoys me, if you are into coursing then best of luck to you, but don't bring down another man for what he does.
Exactly what I was thinking, I'd rather be lamping them during the season than going out during the summer months I know some people still are running pregnant milky does leverets and shagged out bucks, I lamp, course, mooch it's about getting out with the dogs and doing what you enjoy watching your dogs work, some coursing lads think they above everybody else they have the best dogs what they say is gospel only they are allowed to course the mighty hare

pre ban if your a lamper then lamp them. if your a daywalker run them in the day. its your dog, your chosen method of working that dog and your choice to run it.

pre ban after my dogs 15 or 20 rabbitts into the night if i wanted to run a hare then i would, its a different test for the dog.

• Like 5

The proof was there for me that day. when the hare runs so much better come daylight its deserves to be run in day light, but if you have to get you lamp out for them then carry on kidding yourselfs

why are we kidding ourselfs, we are not all f***ing stupid you know, even us "non-coursing lads" know the difference between a daytime and lamped hare.

most daytime lads were more like coservationists regards old hartly . never wiping a place out of numbers and tipping their hat to a strong winter hare . it was genuinely weaker , older animals that were knocked over . its called respect.

>

most daytime lads were more like coservationists regards old hartly . never wiping a place out of numbers and tipping their hat to a strong winter hare . it was genuinely weaker , older animals that were knocked over . its called respect.

I'm sorry mate. I don't usually get involved in petty stuff on here but you can't say that all lamping lads wipe out their quarry. Maybe that's the case where you are but not everywhere.

This is coming from a guy who cut his season short by a month or so and stopped going out at the beginning of Feb because Ihe had one pregnant rabbit :thumbs: I think you call that respect for quarry mate. I could have carried on like some would :victory:

ATB

Sam

well done pal ,genuinely :yes: two seasons ago i stopped in the first week of feb :yes: as the dogs were doing there jobs easier . when they are off they are off. :victory: you give your side of the discussion well :yes: and i enjoy speaking to people like yourself :thumbs: but ,i must ask ,where did i say NO LAMPERS HAVE RESPECT FOR THE HARE :hmm::thumbs:

Thanks mate. Means a lot :victory: That's what this place is about! Not bitching and slagging off but good healthy discussion and understanding others points :thumbs:

I do believe that there is a good healthy balance of animals from mice to foxes and I try my best to keep a balance on my permissions and I hope that it's acknowledged and appreciated by the landowners and farmers. After all the right amount of all species can be of use to farmers and landowners.

Maybe I read it wrong but the first comment I'v quoted just seems like it insinuates that lampers and lads who hunt in different ways don't have respect.

ATB

Sam

your right pal. its all about opinions. my take on it is . IF IT WERE STILL LEGAL , with numbers being the way they are in some places . the population of hares that are there struggle enough . most lampers i know admit to getting blasted in daylight ,but admire the run .im all for people filling their bellies if they are hard up. defo . but when they are gone they are gone lads . ive spent the last 2 winters when the grounds frozen ,catching good numbers of rabbits and releasing them locally as this place had been locally devoid of them for 10 years . as i say when they are gone they are gone . fuji , pal ive never had the silver spoon and new great hardship during the miners strike . 4 of us had to get bye on £12 a week for over a year :yes:;) anyway im out of this topic now ;) WHEN THEY ARE GONE THEY ARE GONE :bye:

No worries Bendrover matey...I wasn't exactly pointing the silver spoon towards anyone and FairPlay to you guys for surviving for so long on a paltry sum of mullah..all credit to you fella...what kind of boils my piss is why is it always the hare that takes precedence in the Lurcher game?.. I know lads who owned big hefty bull x types that they ran on the lamp and worked around earths...not a chance could they of caught their quarry on a fair run in the day...why don't we all call them failed dogs? The top and bottom of it is they serve the purpose which their owner requires,no different to a day coursing dog,a ferreting dog or just an out and out lamping dog...would a coursing man own a Beddy x Whippet to run the Fens lol of course not..an electrician wouldn't go to work with a saw and a joiner wouldn't go with a screwdriver ...right tool for the right job...simples really :-)

No worries Bendrover matey...I wasn't exactly pointing the silver spoon towards anyone and FairPlay to you guys for surviving for so long on a paltry sum of mullah..all credit to you fella...what kind of boils my piss is why is it always the hare that takes precedence in the Lurcher game?.. I know lads who owned big hefty bull x types that they ran on the lamp and worked around earths...not a chance could they of caught their quarry on a fair run in the day...why don't we all call them failed dogs? The top and bottom of it is they serve the purpose which their owner requires,no different to a day coursing dog,a ferreting dog or just an out and out lamping dog...would a coursing man own a Beddy x Whippet to run the Fens lol of course not..an electrician wouldn't go to work with a saw and a joiner wouldn't go with a screwdriver ...right tool for the right job...simples really :-)

;)

i think the young and inexperienced hunter would favour lamping hares more, but would say the older more experienced hunter has more respect for this gracious creature,but be it day or night if its a pest problem on permission it has to be sorted regardless of the time of day,but im an old c**t what do i know

• Like 1

Love how the daytime runners take the moral high ground, when in reality the hares caught on the big land are normally ditched after being killed in case they get a tug......

Anyway I don't run purpose bred coursing dogs, I run small fields and I like my lurchers to lurch....ie to catch their quarry with a minimum of fuss , not to f**k around, if your going to admire the chase and be happy to to let them get away, run a borzoi, otherwise I like to load the dice considerably in favour of my dog

• Like 7

Love how the daytime runners take the moral high ground, when in reality the hares caught on the big land are normally ditched after being killed in case they get a tug......

Anyway I don't run purpose bred coursing dogs, I run small fields and I like my lurchers to lurch....ie to catch their quarry with a minimum of fuss , not to f**k around, if your going to admire the chase and be happy to to let them get away, run a borzoi, otherwise I like to load the dice considerably in favour of my dog

Brilliant post...well said fella and a lot of truth in there :-)