Why Am I Such A Bad Shot With A Shotgun!!!!

I own a few rifles, from air, rimfire and centrefire. And i'm not a bad shot.

But i wanted to get back into shotguns again, especially as the farmer at my permission has hoards of crows. I bought myself a Beretta 12 gauge 302 semi-auto, with the correct LOP, and a 1/4" choke. Yet i can't hit a thing with it! I'm using Express 30g 6's with a fibre wad. I appreciate changing cartridge may help, but surely even the cheapest rubbish should be able to hit a pigeon perched on a post at 25-30 yards! Twice in the same day as well!! :icon_redface:

It's been quite a while since i've had a shotgun, although i was never a great shot with one, but by the same token i wasn't totally hopeless either.

Apologies if this sounds a dumb question, but do i have to be so precise as to have the end beed bang on the quarry?? Or should i be aiming slightly above or below a stationary target? I appreciate moving targets need different methods depending on the situation. For instance giving it some "lead". But at the moment i just can't understand how i missed 2 perched pigeons??

Now before i shell out on a few lessons i thought i'd ask some of you members for advice, or even to reccomend a good tutorial dvd. I've looked on Youtube, but there are few instructionals on there.

Some constructive advice would be appreciated fellas.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lesson would help a shooting coach would tellyou where your going wrong

It's funny because i'm dominant in niether eye (think its that way round) and so i'm far more accurate with an o/u than s/s and a lot more accurate when i close one eye. . . . . . otherwise my eyes/

Terminator?????????????...

Mate it's not just you!!! I can hit some of the most testing birds I've ever seen, but Still miss a stationary target! It's frustrating lol try a pattern plate at 30 yards and look where your shots going ;)

Edited by air gun ant

seen me dad at that 2 lol buy yourself eley 7 1/2 28grms mate keep 2 eyes opened when looking down bead put bead on head,, make sure line up the rim all along the barrel you may need to practice with out firing,,,, make sure to follow through on a moving target its every mans fault nearly who cant hit what firing at..... you'll be inclined to stop on target and your shot ill be where target was not where he is if ya get my drift lol so if you don't follow through lead your pray... also if you could yourself a day at clays it will help you... ATB mate

Mate if you are missing a stationary target @25 yds the gun does not fit you,you need to pattern the gun to see if you are firing above or below,get a large sheet of paper,blanket,cardboard,ect(assuming you dont have access to a pattern plate) draw a 30 inch circle on it and stand 30yds away and fire at the centre,this will show you where your shot is going,now I would imagine your Berreta comes with(or you can buy them)shim spacers to adjust height,take these with you and swap them until your shot is hitting centre target,then practice,practice,practice,on your moving target start off with maintained lead,ie when you have pulled through your target,maintain the lead and keep that gun swinging,pull the trigger and keep swinging as you do,keep your weight on that front foot,also get some practice in on clays,they may even have a pattern plate,you will soon start hitting em and your confidence will build,best of luck bud and I hope this helps :thumbs:

best thing to do is either spend a day at a clay club with a mate who is knowledgable on shotguns or get a lesson with an instructor - in my experience the basc ones are very good. It may cost a bit but at least then you know where you stand because if your doing something wrong and it becomes a habit it will cause you so much more trouble in the future. Shotguns and fit and all that is a really confusing thing so its best to get some advice from someone who knows their stuff. One quick thought though if I ever shoot at a sitter I aim for its feet because (dont ask me why) apparantly shotties are suppposed to have 60% of the pattern above the point of aim and this works for me.

Also it takes a LOT of practice to get any good. I try and shoot at least 100 clays a fortnight and Ive been doing that fairly consistently for about 18 months now but I went pigeoning yesterday and missed some shots a 5 year old could of hit so just try and enjoy your shooting because once you start worrying too much about kill to cartridge ratios it goes downhill. And you get used to the banter from the farmer - Ive been given a cartridge with a clear case before and told "you might get on better with that because you can be sure theres shot in there"

I have the same problem with the shotgun, although it is starting to get better of late. I find moving targets much easier than static ones and suspect its because I tend to aim it more than point it.

I have done the odd clay day etc and not embarrassed myself too much so I suppose it just a matter of practise

I remember when I first started clay shooting and I had a really low percentage of of success. Although I am right handed I had always mounted a rifle to my left shoulder which just felt natural , and because you close one eye to sight the target , it made no difference to accuracy. I mounted the shotgun the same way, but with both eyes open, but with limited success, until I was told to check which was my "master " or dominant eye. It turned out to be my right eye and I was advised to mount the shotgun to my right shoulder. It felt really awkward but the success rate went up dramatically much to my surprise and with practice improved even more over time.However even now I still mount my air rifle to my left shoulder.

Edited by saharashadow

Shooting rifle then going to shotgun could also put you off, your probably so used to holding your breath while shooting your rifles it could put you off, because shooting rifle and shotgun is a different thing, and requires different techniques etc. You'll get back into it, practice practice practice!

Yip go to someone who can show you..... :thumbs: Quick question.......Since your used to shooting rifles are you perhaps closing one eye when using the shotgun?.....if so dont do that. Next time you try and shoot something sitting on a post make sure you have both eyes open........ :thumbs: