Border Collie X Greyhound

Good running dog mate pretty clever and fast. If you're new to hunting then this wouldn't be a bad breed to start off with mate.

Why's it a bad type to start off with...?

My mistake... :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: as Pritch says it's early...

yeh i have been mega interested in this breed also. i have been pestering the blokes who have collie crosses on there phots. cheers to all those who have replied. i have looked on the hancocks website just to have a good look at the different outcomes of this breed. im not really interested in getting one from him though. also there is a forum dedicated to the breed. called colliecurs.co.uk . any more int mate and ill let you know

My bitch is about 24 inch, but nearly 11 now. Quite racey for a first cross, and she could shift when she was younger, very quick off the mark. She's a very fiery bitch with other dogs, not nasty just try's to put them in their place. Great type of robust dog. I think she would have been even better if I could have put more game in front of her, but she had a temperament that would get bored if not much was happening. Seems to be a trait that's found in some collies, where as some don't get so bored and will hunt for scent all day long. Personally I love collies and used to work pure ones to rabbits, never caught a great deal, but again this was largely to do with where I worked them, great sport though.

Also worked a border collie lurcher that had a tad of beardie in the mix......he was the best hunt up dog I have worked...his desire to hunt was amazing, also had great strike, very rarely got injured...great skin...he once got caught in a loose ball of bar wire, and came off very well considering. He would also hunt further a field than the pure border collie cross and would go right into the hedge after a rabbit, where as my border collie / greyhound would hold off the hedge.

Border/greyhound with dash of beardie

IMG_4905.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

he says it wouldn't be a bad type to start off with, it's early :D

Note to self - wait until at least lunchtime... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Learned that one meself mate, lol, golden rule is: If you read somethin that makes you think 'Are you for fookin real' read it again.

1/2 cross collie would be a good first workin lurcher mate. Relatively easy to train, good natural instincts. My first bitch was collie/grey she made my novice training attempts look much more impressive than I deserved, natural hunter. If you decide after 2 or 3 seasons that quarry/countryside around you warrants something a bit quicker you can always breed out to the 3/4 cross, easy if you get a dog pup. My advice would be a bitch tho, seem to respond to training a bit more readily. Dog pups can be a bit bolshy as adolescents its in their instinct to have a go at being dominant/alpha male, not always mind and now and again bitches can be a bit the same, but more often than not it holds true.

1/2bred border grey could come out anywhere between 21-26' at the shoulder, dogs the higher end bitches the lower.

Edited by Neoleaver

1/2 cross collie would be a good first workin lurcher mate. Relatively easy to train, good natural instincts. My first bitch was collie/grey she made my novice training attempts look much more impressive than I deserved, natural hunter. If you decide after 2 or 3 seasons that quarry/countryside around you warrants something a bit quicker you can always breed out to the 3/4 cross, easy if you get a dog pup. My advice would be a bitch tho, seem to respond to training a bit more readily. Dog pups can be a bit bolshy as adolescents its in their instinct to have a go at being dominant/alpha male, not always mind and now and again bitches can be a bit the same, but more often than not it holds true.

:no: very easy for a beginner to feck up a first x collie :rtfm:

:no: very easy for a beginner to feck up a first x collie :rtfm:

Better with a 3/4 bred for the first time...less collie = less complicated, less manic, less obsessive = less nervous breakdown... :thumbs:

3/4 bred kinda does what it says on the tin...less surprises...less of a minefield...let's get going gung ho style...

I had a hard time with this lad...one step forward...ten steps back...lots of hair pulling, lip biting, counting to ten,20,30,40........999...and beyond...but when we got to the daylight at the end o the tunnel...it was worth all the heartache...he's the most fiercely loyal dog I have had, brave and athletic, 100% committed with prey drive to match...a nose like I haven't seen with a total do-or-die attitude...and by far the most intelligent dog I have ever worked with...would I have liked him as a first time dog...no...'cause I'da shot, strangled,drowned or stoned the fecker..... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just my opinion of course... :thumbs:

Finn - now 2 years old...

post-57287-0-72313800-1365180961.jpg

• Like 2

In my experience,...the first cross Collie / Greyhound hybrid can either be your ideal hunting partner,..or correspondingly, your worst :yes:

Personaly,..I prefer to keep a noticeable Sheepdog influence in my rabbiting aids,...but maybe, water it down, ..just a tad. :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 1