Jack Russell Puppy Ferreting

Just make sure he/she is ferret friendly first then the rest will come natural mate,

My young bitch Molly she is 15 month now has just had her first hunting season

and she is working really well at marking sets and running hedges and so on with

no training at all apart from been with the ferrets at home as often as possible at least

once a day hope this helps mate atb mark

• Like 1

Just started a twelve month old bitch this season.

If you take um somewhere wheres theres plenty of action they should end up rabbit mad.

As said breacking to ferret is a must.

Working it along side somthing thats good at the job should speed things up.

We did not have that option

This bitch still has a lot to learn

She marks well and her bushing is coming on well.

Most importantly shes keen so everything should slip into place naturally if we give the bitch the oppertunnity to shine

i used to have a jack russell bitch for ferreting and bushing when i was younger good little bitch hand at pinning the rabbits in the nets that i couldnt get to she maked like a stone,when istared her i just took her out from day1 with the ferrets and she practicly trained her self

• Like 1

All I will do is echo the above. Ferret proof dog, feed together and use pipes to allow the dog to see ferret emerging and going back down etc, anf sit and stay to guard nets or un netable areas. Make sure she he doesn't disturb nets and jumps long nets. Pinning rabbits willcome in time. But also teach a retrieve to avoid the terrier running off with your dinner.

Mine has taken 4 year to trust ferreting whilst ratting. So just take your time. All the best

With all my dogs as pups i let them play and eat with ferrets out in the garden but the pup knows the word NO and if the pup gets over the top saying the word no stops them going over the top or the ferret will nip them. As the pup gets older it will learn the differents between the smell of the ferret and the rabbit. When the ferret comes out i tell mind know and they back off and as they get older they do it there selfs.

Ha ha showed me little Jill to my pup when he was 7 week old and she went in for the kill lol every time she sees him now she wants him and he's 7 month now just wanted to break the dog to the ferret incase the stinker gets out and the dog nails it as such which I didn't want to happen but I think I've got more worries about finding the dog nailed by the ferret !

id like to get some ferrets next season, i have 2 russel crosses both 2 years. do you lads think its to late to brake the dogs to ferrets? the dogs do a lot of bushing and a bit with rats.

I have 2 5 yo terriers never seen a ferret before but they both rat 1 st time they see the ferret they were trying to chew the wires on the hutch to get to it .

My bitch loves the ferrets did try to kill them at first though but after 6 months or so they are fine and work well together. Once the pup sees a rabbit in the net instinct will kick in and the rabbit will get nailed. After she had a few grabs and chases to earth she will realise how to mark her self mate good luck with your little pup