Any Tips For Fastening Down Fenn Traps

I am doing a bit of trapping on a local shoot and wondered what would be the best thing to attatch the chain of a fenn trap to when trapping along the bottom of a sandstone wall.

Would it be best to just put a stake in somewhere and fasten it to that?

hi i fix wire to mine and then to a brick the ones with three holes work fine

That would be a bit hard humping a load of bricks all over the shop.....

Have a look at earth anchors...easy as pie to use and if a fox or badger finds a kill in a trap they won't be able to drag it away..... JMO....JD

• Like 2

Have you tried a wire staple? Get some heavy fencing wire - 5mm or so thick - and bend it tight in half, 8 - 10 inches will hold in most soils

OTC

Aye then set the trap on top of it worked that way for years

Personally I would not bother with earth anchors, etc Just make some proper pegs, wood or metal.. all mine are ash same style as used for peg snares, just slightly bigger...Others use round steel bar attached to the traps. Thats if the ground is suitable, if its not and you want to attach adjacent to the wall, loop wire rope or fencing wire through a point, or whatever suits, its hard to say exactly without seeing the lay of the land.

http://www.gripple.com/products/catalogue/construction/applications/catenaries.html

Reasonably priced, easily available, very versatile.

Just a fiddle releasing them with cold pinkies.

I've got a standard gripple I use for fencing moxy, they look different and lighter duty, with no need for tools, might be handy for something..

I'd still just stick to pegs..

You don't need extra tools Ian. Just a 2mm pin to release.

You can get set lengths of pre eyed lanyards, with the wire ends soldered. Or if your adept enough you can cut and crimp you own.

Just add the gripple and go. Yes they are similar to the fencing types but if you source them from a good supplier and not CEF, they are cheap as chips.

Adjustable, removable etc.

The tools on the link are for tensioning wire rope. I could have narrowed it down to particular products but as I have already said, if anybody has anything about them, they will work it out to suit their own needs.

I too use timber pegs and can't fault them but as you say. Every situation is different.