Brother To Sister

Could end up up with blind and/or deaf ferrets, maybe worse. I wouldn't.

Its even discouraged to try and breed any two silvers together because the gene pool just isnt big enough. Many are deaf.

Edited by GreyRake
  • Like 1

It's not as bad as it's made out to be, so long as you start with sound stock. A lot of first class fen dogs are inbred. I once read a scientific report about inbreeding, where they bred rats, brother to sister for 13 generations with no ill effects. I myself bred rats as hawk food, for at least 10 years. Starting with a brother and 2 sisters plus 1 unrelated male, adding no new blood, after many generations over the 10 years or so, never getting any abnormalities.

Im not going to claim to be an expert on this by any means, but i am studying zoology and genetics in uni and From what iv studied ur safest way to ''inbreed'' for certain traits is to breed mother-son or father-daughter and every 2nd generation or so bring in some outside blood to keep some variety in the gene pool.Brothers and sisters can tend to be too similar in genetics, but for one breeding generation you should be fine.

As has been said before the only reason we have such variety in domestic breeds today is because of generations of well managed inbreeding (with occasional outbreeding) so it can be done and still is done. But saying that there is a reason why a mongrel dog will live a longer healthier life than a pedigree on average. The more mixed and different the genetics are the better. Too many generations of close inbreeding can cause negative traits to become expressed and individuals can have less resistance to disease etc.

Sorry about the essay just thought ye might be interested :whistling:

Alot of guys will prob tell you not to do it and to be honest unless your looking for a very specific trait your better off to get a good unrelated ferret, But as long as your not doing it over generations then you should be fine.

• Like 2

Im not going to claim to be an expert on this by any means, but i am studying zoology and genetics in uni and From what iv studied ur safest way to ''inbreed'' for certain traits is to breed mother-son or father-daughter and every 2nd generation or so bring in some outside blood to keep some variety in the gene pool.Brothers and sisters can tend to be too similar in genetics, but for one breeding generation you should be fine.

As has been said before the only reason we have such variety in domestic breeds today is because of generations of well managed inbreeding (with occasional outbreeding) so it can be done and still is done. But saying that there is a reason why a mongrel dog will live a longer healthier life than a pedigree on average. The more mixed and different the genetics are the better. Too many generations of close inbreeding can cause negative traits to become expressed and individuals can have less resistance to disease etc.

Sorry about the essay just thought ye might be interested :whistling:

Alot of guys will prob tell you not to do it and to be honest unless your looking for a very specific trait your better off to get a good unrelated ferret, But as long as your not doing it over generations then you should be fine.

Crack on mate....good post :thumbs:

aye crack on, common practice in pedigree livestock breeding, i would go any further breeding related individuals unless you read up on it tho :thumbs:

WAS,

still is pal, every racehorse, racing pigeon, show winning pig, sheep, cow or rabbit will have parents that are related in some way. :yes: