Tanning Rabbit Hides

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hello i'm looking at tanning rabbit and other hides. some one has told me theres a kit on the market for this. has anyone tryed it? http://www.ronniesunshines.com/rabbit-skin-tanning-kit.html   c

I used the Alum/salt and water recipe to do a Sika hide given to me by my friend who shoots deer around here. It came out quite well I think, I cleaned as much flesh and membrane before it went into t

F**k me, it's Buffalo Bill!    

Posted Images

dont waste your cash all it is alum you can get that any where. just mix alum and salt in a large bucket leave your skins in it for afew days then flesh job done.

Hi Rob,

If you've used the tanning kit you will already know that it's not just alum. Yes, alum will work but someone with little or no experience in tanning will not get as good a results with just alum.

There is a part A and part B to this kit plus full step by step instructions on the best way to use it. It's been used in tanning by Snowdonia Taxidermy Studios for about 20 years but has only been made available to the general public in the last 10 or so years.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tanning with alum - we sell it at £5.95 per kg (http://www.snowdoniasupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl) so yes, it's a cheaper option but the White Tan kit has been developed to make tanning skins easier than using alum and salt. If you'd like any info on the kit or if there is anything else we can help with such as the tanning process etc. then you can call us, the manufacturer, on 01492 640664.

If you look at it on the basis that, if you get 30 or so skins out of a kit that costs £20, each skin will cost just over 50p to tan. You also get all of the above and free help and advice every 5 minutes if you require. I hope that this helps and please understand that I'm not saying that alum is useless by any means :victory:

ATB

Sam

Edited by Terrierman Sam
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds expensive... inc postage £24.34 for a few rabbit skins, especially if you've never done it before?

'If you've used the tanning kit you will already know that it's not just alum', actually couldn't get a straight answer from your company when I asked what was in the kits, just 'chemicals you find in domestic water supply' so it could be salt and alum.

Got good results from the kit but also had no trouble getting the same first time with alum, and the nice white colour on flesh side, like suede.

dont waste your cash all it is alum you can get that any where. just mix alum and salt in a large bucket leave your skins in it for afew days then flesh job done.

What amounts of each do you use please?

1lb alum and 2.5lbs salt in 5 gallons of warm water is the amount I use

So all you do is stick you skin in it for a few days (a week?) and then scrape all the fresh and stuff of it and dry and its done? or have I misinterpreted it?

So all you do is stick you skin in it for a few days (a week?) and then scrape all the fresh and stuff of it and dry and its done? or have I misinterpreted it?

I scraped the flesh and membrane off first, then (for rabbits) left them in for a week (though maybe 4/5 days would have been ok), rinsed them and left to dry until damp and then worked until totally dry. Also rubbed in a tiny bit of neatsfoot oil on the flesh side. If you don't keep stretching them while they dry they will dry stiff and useless and not soft and flexible

• Like 1