Epilepsy And Shotgun Certificate

12 hours ago, dumbledore said:

I suggest that those demeaning sobs need to get educated 

And I suggest you don't start your posting on this forum by digging up an ancient thread & having a pop at people who were just voicing their opinions & trying to give the OP different experiences.

Nob head. 

• 1 year later...

On 27/03/2020 at 07:55, dumbledore said:

Just looking through  his thread, and it seems that people suffering with epilepsy are looked down upon and not fit to hold a Firearms certificate, some of the comments made regarding sufferers of this illness appear to be misinformed or ignorant . The firearms departments are to look at every application "IN THE ROUND" I suggest that those demeaning sobs need to get educated as to how many different  types of epilepsy exist,  then look at yourself,  are you a sufferer of a variant of this disabling disease, not everyone has grand mal seizures and blank out instantly,  I suggest you do your home work before shooting your mouth off, it would of course  be wrong for me not to consider that you have some sort of autism that prevents you from thinking before you type,  and if you do, should you have a shotgun certificate ?

Thank you! Someone needed to stand up to these ignorant fools who express opinions without knowing anything of the disease. A lot of people living have been suffering from epilepsy their whole lives and know exactly how much of a threat they would be (if at all). It is a matter of the officer understanding the details or simply holding prejudice against anyone with a neurological condition. If someone is fit enough to have a driving license, I don't see why they can't hold an FAC.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Anonymous said:

Thank you! Someone needed to stand up to these ignorant fools who express opinions without knowing anything of the disease. A lot of people living have been suffering from epilepsy their whole lives and know exactly how much of a threat they would be (if at all). It is a matter of the officer understanding the details or simply holding prejudice against anyone with a neurological condition. If someone is fit enough to have a driving license, I don't see why they can't hold an FAC.

Did you really join this site just to reply to a 9 year old thread and call existing members ignorant fools?

Old thread but it provoked a relevant thought...

If proper trigger discipline is maintained, is epilepsy really much of a risk when shooting? The safety should be engaged and finger away from trigger for all but a few seconds before a shot will be taken.

I realise that the problem of course is how many people are really that disciplined.

On 09/01/2022 at 14:58, Anonymous said:

Safety is not ignorance and not everything is discrimination.

If you have a condition that makes you a danger to yourself and others then it's reasonable for the Police to refuse to grant. As i posted orinigally some time ago, the obvious dangers are two fold in my opinion:

1. You shoot someone or yourself whilst having a fit either because you pull the trigger whilst in the intial stages of the fit when you may also be swinging the gun around in non safe directions or on the way down. It's going to depend on whether you just drop or start with the shakes or become unsteady before going down. 

2. The 2nd risk is the gun and ammo get stolen whilst you're on the ground having your fit. Going to depend on where you are obviously and whether anyone else is around either with you or passersby eg. on a footpath, the latter being the concern. The prospect of an unsecured gun and ammo is always going to be a concern for the Police.

As for the difference between a driving licence and a gun, the result of a car being in an accident if someone has a fit at the wheel is there but the results of such an accident are unlikely to be as serious as someone being shot at close range with a gun. Most driving is spent at low speed on local roads minimising the risk of serious injury.

A shotgun discharge from close range will literally blow off limbs. It will gut you like a pig if shot if the torso. Rifles have considerable range unlike cars. A rifle's dangerous range can be measured at potentially up to 3-5 miles depending on the calibre vs a car who's range is to the nearest wall, tree or other vehicle. Rifle ammunition is expanding and causes devasting injuries designed to shock animals into an instant death. However, against a human sized target the effects are devastating and often not instantly fatal. Hence why it's use is banned in warfare.

The consequences of a fit behind the wheel vs a fit with a gun are very different therefore. One has a high risk of minor injury. The other a very high risk of serious life changing injury or death. 

Then there's the theft risk and threat of the gun being used in crimes including murder, attacks on the Police and robberies. Hence why they are rightly so careful about grants to people who may fall unconscious whilst in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

As ever, a grant is going to depend on an individuals suitability and risk factors rather than a blanket decision.

On 10/01/2022 at 09:13, Born Hunter said:

Old thread but it provoked a relevant thought...

If proper trigger discipline is maintained, is epilepsy really much of a risk when shooting? The safety should be engaged and finger away from trigger for all but a few seconds before a shot will be taken.

I realise that the problem of course is how many people are really that disciplined.

I think the issue may be Ben what happens if you're addressing the clay / prey with the finger on the trigger when it starts especially if mid swing.

3 hours ago, Alsone said:

I think the issue may be Ben what happens if you're addressing the clay / prey with the finger on the trigger when it starts especially if mid swing.

What happens if a meteor falls out the sky and hits the barrel to face a child just as you're about to pull...

f***ing hell like, the time your finger spends on the trigger even on an intense shoot is minimal with proper discipline.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Yes, unregistered to this site but I will register.

So old thread I know but here is my 2p.

I gave up my FAC when I had kids, and moved a lot due to work. I have worked a lot in the mining industry, TV and also in para medicine (ie paramedic). 2 years ago I suffered a seizure, now knowing I’ve had signs of it in the form of auras for years, yet I still shot with friends granted at ranges without having my own FAC. I am now on full time medication and have my DL back. My form of epilepsy is under full control and I know consciously any signs that may start any issues. I hope to apply again for my FAC and have been told it isn’t an issue so far. Every condition is different and can change year by year, so, long as the individual is happy to try then let them, if you have an issue with shooting near or with someone with a medical condition then don’t or ask and become a person against the laws helping everyone have a fair life.

I am happy to talk about this as this about inclusivity.

• Like 5

A very complex subject and condition to have, clearly cases vary so it is not really possible for those outside this illness to fully understand how safe it would be to own a gun be it shotgun or firearm.  We know from several cases where the police have taken licences and guns away from everyday shooters on some very thin reasoning so to me, I would have thought that perhaps the police would use this as a perfect reason to refuse anyone with this condition any licence at all but who knows.

Phil

• Like 1

It is about inclusivity. Just be aware the Police are very sensitive these days as Philpott says and although it may not necessarily exclude you, be aware as I said above, it may raise some questions as well.

You only have to take a look at what's been happening in Devon and Cornwall to see how politically charged the situation is now.

• 1 year later...

Having read all the posts/comments i can confidently say there are a lot of people in this thread that dont fully understand epilepsy. Not their fault just a reflection of society as a whole. Geez they use to labotomise epileptics - go figure !

So to provide a more responsible answer to the question, Every individuals case is considered relative to that persons situation. Its treated the same was as a motor vehicle licence. 

There are epileptics that shoot and some that compete in competions. There are a range of factors to consider, eg: are they controlled on meds effectively or not, do they know when they will have a seizure, what kind of seizure they have, how long since they have had a seizure.

So to anyone reading this who is has been diagnosed as an epileptic and has a licence. Dont panic, take your time and go through the offical channels, talking to  appropriately qualified medical professionals and legal people who have experience in this topic not someone who has not had the correct experience. 

After seeking the right professionals i know of one recently diagnosed epileptic that lost access to his firearms (they had to be stored by a friend), and he was able to keep his licence and shoot under direct supervision until the doctor provided him, with a clearance. 5 years later he competes regularly at major competitions and also hunts unsupervised. 

Hope it helps