Night Vision Range Finder?

Hi all,

Was out lamping the other night and found it difficult to range find a few rabbits with the air rifle.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a rangefinder anyway for my HMR but wondered if there are any night vision enabled range finders out there?

I have had a look on the net but can not seem to find anything. I was also thinking, if there is no such device, could you mount a lamp to a normal rangefinder mono and illuimnate the target you are trying to range find?

Thanks in advance

Deano

Guest scramble

they are available but your looking at thousands of pounds. you could try and make your own using a light sensitive camera and a cheap LRF. most get round the problem by using a red/green dot laser as a crude range finder. the laser can be far too bright so just replace one of the button cell batterys with a few coins and it'll dim it down a bit :thumbs:

Guest scramble

buy a red dot laser, one with adjustable windage. cheap ones are crap. mount it central above your scope nice and high. zero the laser to your scope at your zero range. job done. when shooting if the dot is above your cross hair then target is closer than your chosen zero point and vice versa. you can practise at night at different ranges and memorise your aim points. :thumbs:

Edited by scramble

I use a similar method by mounting my focus adjustable nv ir illuminator under my barrel with a cheap barrel clamp.

it helps if you use a half mill dot scope as the range increases the dot/beam moves up the vertical mill dot recital up to say 100 yards.

it help me measure infront of and past my zero.

BUT I would love to hear of a better way of range finding at night.

the only reason you cant use a normal range finder after dark is because you cant see! but the range finder will still work. all i have done in the past is use a 345lumen torch, but its messing around. and estimating range in the dark is not the easiest thing so looks like your F***ed Dan. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest scramble

the only reason you cant use a normal range finder after dark is because you cant see! but the range finder will still work. all i have done in the past is use a 345lumen torch, but its messing around. and estimating range in the dark is not the easiest thing so looks like your F***ed Dan. !!!!!!!!!!!!

If thats the case then it'd be an easy fix and i'd of got round it years ago. :yes:

there is a guy on u tube that uses a nv monocular through one.

i have modded a range finder in the past by putting a small led light inside it so i can see the read out at least.

it still not ideal!

the laser bellow the barrel / above the scope works the best so far for me

If thats the case then it'd be an easy fix and i'd of got round it years ago. :yes:

Well i dont know how your range finder works! but mine is a lazer range finder and the lazer works in day light and darkness and the only thing stopping me using it at night is, i cant see in the dark, a torch is all thats needed I promise!!!! give it a try.

Guest scramble

Well i dont know how your range finder works! but mine is a lazer range finder and the lazer works in day light and darkness and the only thing stopping me using it at night is, i cant see in the dark, a torch is all thats needed I promise!!!! give it a try.

There are many options open to solve your "not being able to see in the dark" try combining the 2 and you'll see where the trouble comes. most LRF's are far too small to use with NV gear, they restrict the light passage so do not give a good enough image at distance that usable to us. You could use the IR laser from certain models of LRF's as an aiming device, this would give a quick pulse of light visible through your NV gear.

Guest scramble

there is a guy on u tube that uses a nv monocular through one.

i have modded a range finder in the past by putting a small led light inside it so i can see the read out at least.

it still not ideal!

the laser bellow the barrel / above the scope works the best so far for me

lots of people have tried combining LRFs and NV gear, when someone does finally come up with something usable im sure they'll be inundated with orders. however i think the patent for something along these lines has already been granted. :hmm:

SCRAMBLE