Help Training My Pup To Go For Rabbits

Hi there ive got a 8 month old pup she come onnlovley she got abit of a mad breed in her, she looking more lurcher and got the lurcher insinct , she crossed with a suliki wippetx collie greyhound x french mastiff x rottweiler , i was wondering wats best ways of training her to go for rabbits ?

Hi there ive got a 8 month old pup she come onnlovley she got abit of a mad breed in her, she looking more lurcher and got the lurcher insinct , she crossed with a suliki wippetx collie greyhound x french mastiff x rottweiler , i was wondering wats best ways of training her to go for rabbits ?

I would love to see a picture of that .........

• Like 2

I would love to see a picture of that .........
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=pick+a+mix+sweets&oq=pick+a+mi&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.1.0l2j0i5j0i24l2.3197.6691.0.8801.9.9.0.0.0.0.559.1793.1j6j1j5-1.9.0.les%3Bcrnk_mobile_unfiltered.1.0.0...1.1.5.mobile-gws-hp.D9gkf-kBizY&biw=360&bih=588&sei=YS5SUanDAaGr0QWa24DICw
  • Like 3

My Bull x Saluki Grey 8 Month old dog will smash 3 out of 5 on a night out already, he will go straight through the bushes and pick them up. He only gets one night a week at the most as he is young and wont break speed till 15-16 month. People will say its to young others will say its not but if the dog will run at 8 month let it run at 8 month.

All i did was take it out twice a week on the lead watching the lads older dogs do it then ever so often the softer mouth dogs would retrieve a live one and we would drop it for the pup to chase. He started catching the drops with ease so we introduced it to close kick ups. Now we will slip it no problem.

• Like 2

1 run on a long ear is too much for a 8 months old dog let alone 5, especially if it's a dog pup cause its still growing,you will do more damage than good. If it's a good hare and runs the dog for too long it will break his heart and can also do damage to the lungs so I'd keep him sharp on rabbits now then introduce him later.

• Like 3

My Bull x Saluki Grey 8 Month old dog will smash 3 out of 5 on a night out already, he will go straight through the bushes and pick them up. He only gets one night a week at the most as he is young and wont break speed till 15-16 month. People will say its to young others will say its not but if the dog will run at 8 month let it run at 8 month.

All i did was take it out twice a week on the lead watching the lads older dogs do it then ever so often the softer mouth dogs would retrieve a live one and we would drop it for the pup to chase. He started catching the drops with ease so we introduced it to close kick ups. Now we will slip it no problem.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 5

Thats how i began bringing my pup on mate, ive got a saluki bull grey hes 10 month now and i let him watch older dogs since he was 3 month "i know a bit young " haha but i found letting him watch for 4 / 5 month made him keen as mustard and the past few month ive just been putting him on squatters and give the odd long slip and hes showing real potensial

But 8 month is spott on mate jus keep him on squatters and like he says when they retrieve live to hand give it to your pup goodluck

Edited by bow19

I wouldnt run them on out till there about a year old.Let them have the odd dropper before then as long as you think there up to it.I take them out with other dogs ratching from about 12 week old but not let them do out bar look/learn.The lurcher i have now is 14 month but didnt run its first rabbit until it was appx a year old(had its first dropper at appx 11 month) ,its not done much but like i sais its just a pup,had about 15-20 rabbits all on lamp and one big rabbit in the daytime.Thats what works for me,others may do things differently but your better starting them a bit late than too early.

• Like 2

At about 6 months i introduce them to the Ferreting game, getting them used to the smells, watching the rabbits hit the nets, preparing them to be steady round the nets, and hopefully show signs of marking.

I know some will say to young, but its always worked for me, but i have run smaller type, beddy X Whippets and a Whippet.

and ive never had yippers.

• 2 weeks later...