Recommend A Scope Under £300

Nikon mate,I have a 3-9x50 prostaff on my .243 and it is superb, how they can make scopes like that for the money is beyond me,and the bdc reticule is very useful,for 300 quid you should be able to pick up a monarch sidewheel focus model, secondhand and they are superb,S+B 8x56,or a second hand Doctor would also be good choices,but you will not go wrong with a Nikon,dont bother with Niko sterling,Hawke ect,(unless you get the endurance 30 flashdot,very good scope) cheap rubbish in comparison mate.

as said have a look ebay theres some good glass secondhand ,spend the bigger money on a set of binos ive had a lot of scopes and yes the likes of zeiss are clear and youll get a few minutes at last light but theres some good scopes out there just dont get carried away with kit snobbery

ive got a old parker hale with a bsa scope think it was 10 years old when i brought it still holds good zero ,but beware theres alot of very dodgy fakes on ebay cheers

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In some ways you would be better off asking what magnification or range of magnification people suggest.

When you have waded through those replies ......

Its a bit out of my league but it sounds as though you have plenty of punch and quite a big target (fox / deer chest shots) compared to a rabbits brain which is my main quarry.

So I guess relatively low magnification, say 3-9x would be sensible as it will give you a reasonable field of view and it will be quite bright - lower magnification = brighter and clearer.

I have a Nikon with ed glass and 32x but that great a magnification is too much except for rabbit heads at 100 yards or target shooting.

For most smaller quarry 16x is a good compromise but as I said, your target is quite big so that brings us back to 9x maximum as a bright clean sharp image in low light is the most important thing.

A good sunshade (not the honeycomb type) can help with glare and the added length helps the ego factor (car bonnet syndrome) but mind it does not snag your moderator.

I like side focus or parallax or whatever you want to call it as my arms are not long enough to easily reach the end of the scope, more of an issue at shorter ranges, beyond 100 yards you are effectively on infinity.

Don't get too bothered by objective lens or tube diameter. I have seen 40mm lenses that are brighter than 56mm lenses. You have to judge the particular scope and that is a pretty tough call if you can only look through it in a shop.

• Like 1