Patt Pup

got a patterdale pup 6 and a half month old... recall coming on but soon as near any cover hes in...bang on as i wanted him for bushing but soon as his nose is down his recall goes out the window....im not purposely wanting him to work the cover yet ... any advice on getting his recall better????? should i keep him away from cover altogether till recall spot on ???? its my first pup so any advice or tips would be usefull .... like i said its my first pup so no stupid comments please..cheers rich

Sorry to hijack your thread, but your patt sounds exactly like my russell pup (11 months). Recall is spot on until there's something to hunt, then she just ignores me.

Caught her first rabbit today mind, so it's not all bad.

I'd also be interested to hear any tips or advice on this too. Good luck with your patt mate, lovely dogs.

Let him do his thing! Some hunt up more than others, dont panic when you feel like hes to far away because he'll think that hes done something wrong when you keep calling him back, then he'll stay further and further away thinkin hes done wrong and end up ignorin you all together. Just relax and will end up doin what you want him to.

as pigeonman said leave him hunt away once he is on the line of something,if he is not hunting something and just acting the tit wanting 2 be up ahead of you all the time then you need to work on his recall as that can be a pain in the ass having a terrier 70 yards ahead of you scaring game away and bolting game that the lurcher and other dogs wont have time 2 get on 2,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...