Opinions On The Power Of Air Rifles

people with mental health have access to air guns with no problems

Mostly sub 12FPE where there are few restrictions!

and why should restriction be introduced .

Because there are idiots with air rifles for no reason and they shoot and kill kids playing!!! Does that answer your question?

you know you have won an argument when some one has the need to bring emotions into the argument to sway the situation .Politicians use this all the time are you really MacAskill

Just noticed this!!! What kinda statement is this??? You've not presented any arguement to win mate!!! You haven't even understood any of my posts or offered anything logical to the debate!!! Its like anything else in life...laws are passed to prevent things from happening such as seat belts in a car saving thousands of lives since the law was passed. We may agree...we may not but it saved lives!!! If air rifles can be licensed and licensed properly and it saves another toddler from getting killed then it can only be a good thing!!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunting air rifles should be set at around 20 ft ilbs as a legal maximum, especially for .22; with tuning or factory setting to wherever a particular rifle performs to its very best within this limit.

With the idiots that abound in this country I think the limit should be kept.   It's a bit of a pain to apply and pay for a license, but the truth is that if you have a valid reason for a rifle and

I agree with your thought there Cliff. There are too many IDIOTS around as it is. The idea of that lot getting their hands on high powered air rifles is frightening!   Simon

I'm not fightin any battle...just debating!!! I kinda see what you're saying but how exactly can you shoot from a public highway that is going through private land??? If its a public highway then its a public highway with private land either side is it not??? If its a highway that the public use but is owned by the landowner that you have the permission from then yes you can shoot imo providing there is no-one around that could potentially be injured etc but to me a public highway is any road that is not privately owned...if you see what i mean!!!

I do see what you mean :yes:

But, your statement that I've highlighted is a bit 'Blinkered' for want of a better word, it's your "Interpratation" and our laws are not 100% black and white, they are very open to interpretation. This unfortunately leads to mis-interpratation by a lot of people :yes:

I also like a good debate :thumbs:

youl be glad to be back online then, with treads like this :D

• Like 1

I'm not fightin any battle...just debating!!! I kinda see what you're saying but how exactly can you shoot from a public highway that is going through private land??? If its a public highway then its a public highway with private land either side is it not??? If its a highway that the public use but is owned by the landowner that you have the permission from then yes you can shoot imo providing there is no-one around that could potentially be injured etc but to me a public highway is any road that is not privately owned...if you see what i mean!!!

I do see what you mean :yes:

But, your statement that I've highlighted is a bit 'Blinkered' for want of a better word, it's your "Interpratation" and our laws are not 100% black and white, they are very open to interpretation. This unfortunately leads to mis-interpratation by a lot of people :yes:

I also like a good debate :thumbs:

You stated that a person can shoot from the centre of a public highway or whatever...now my interpretation of that was that a person can walk out their gate on to a main road...B123 or whatever and shoot birds off of the trees across the road. Now a person just cannot do that because the law prevents it.

I think that you are calling a private road that the public may have access to, a public road. Even if the public have access to it it is still a private road. When i refer to a public road i'm referring to any road that is not privately owned.

Now i'm confused...anyone fancy the "define murder" thread? Haha :laugh:

Edited by AirgunGuy

Nonsense!!! Whether the public road goes through private land or not...its still a public road and you cannot fire an air rifle in a public place so well and truly against the law!!!

Your fighting a lost battle here AG :yes:

I have shot across Public Highways on private land. I have shot from public highways (that run across private land) and as mentioned earlier, with a Police officer at the side of me, he didn't arrest me, why? because he has a thorough knowladge of airgun law after I proved him incorrect previously. Instead of getting all high and mighty or heavy handed, he decided to go back and find out the truth.

When he sees me going about my lawful shooting now, he comes over to find out how I'm doing.

Oh incidently, he was one of the officers who took me to be assessed by the out of hours psychiatric team to determine if I should be sectioned after I suffered a relapse after a breakdown and major depression a few years ago.

Do you have a FAC?

Reading it now and my understanding of it is that you can shoot within 50 ft providing no-one is interupted, endangered or injured and the pellet doesn't leave the boundary. So how exactly do you go about lying down in the middle of a public road firing an air rifle without breaking the law???

I should point out here that tony said he was a few feet from the road, not in the middle of it. That would be silly...

Reading it now and my understanding of it is that you can shoot within 50 ft providing no-one is interupted, endangered or injured and the pellet doesn't leave the boundary. So how exactly do you go about lying down in the middle of a public road firing an air rifle without breaking the law???

I should point out here that tony said he was a few feet from the road, not in the middle of it. That would be silly...

If you read throught he posts you will see that he stated in 1 of them that he or a person could shoot from the centre of a public highway :thumbs:

I think its been a mix up about the definition of a public highway :thumbs:

Edited by AirgunGuy
  • Like 1

people with mental health have access to air guns with no problems

Mostly sub 12FPE where there are few restrictions!

and why should restriction be introduced .

Because there are idiots with air rifles for no reason and they shoot and kill kids playing!!! Does that answer your question?

you know you have won an argument when some one has the need to bring emotions into the argument to sway the situation .Politicians use this all the time are you really MacAskill

Just noticed this!!! What kinda statement is this??? You've not presented any arguement to win mate!!! You haven't even understood any of my posts or offered anything logical to the debate!!! Its like anything else in life...laws are passed to prevent things from happening such as seat belts in a car saving thousands of lives since the law was passed. We may agree...we may not but it saved lives!!! If air rifles can be licensed and licensed properly and it saves another toddler from getting killed then it can only be a good thing!!!

Good idea the toddler argment a bit of emotional content .toddlers get killed by lots of thing every day but the very least likely way is by airgun .So I see the just incase argment is a good one every one with an air gun has to suffer just incase .Toddlers in cars ,cars there speed should be brought down to something safe sub 30 just incase this law will save a child tomorrow for sure.Tobacco kills a stupid amount of people it dwarfs death by FIREARMS it is of no use ,a ban would be good ,just incase the child will grow up and smoke ,if evil smokers we not there to influence them when they were we toddlers who know just in case.children die fishing children die playing bat and ball games ,pushbikes a good idea would be to stop this .with a mass of airguns in the uk and so few children being killed by them I see the just in case argument make sense .

If you read throught he posts you will see that he stated in 1 of them that he or a person could shoot from the centre of a public highway :thumbs:

No I dont have my FAC yet. But the police have said I do have a chance of being granted an FAC because one of my rifles that I own is over the 12 limit.

I did say from the centre of a public highway :yes: again that qualifying condition comes into play as well as the interpretation of the law :yes:

@ SRT, damn right I am :thumbs:

I agree with some of what you're saying but no...not everyone with an air gun has to suffer....only the peolpe that have no valid reason for having 1. At the end of the day...if you have permissions...do pest control...shoot at a range or whatever then where's the problem with a license? If you have none of the above and have no reason to have an air rifle then why have 1 lying around or stuck in a cupboard? Even if a person only shoots once, twice a year and in a responsible manner then they should be entitled to a license but the sad fact is that they are lethal weapons in the wrong hands...that's all i'm saying mate!!! Its like the knife situation we have at the moment...you can use a knife in certain situations but you cannot have a knife in your possession for no reason!!! :thumbs:

So you have FAC air then for your rifle that is above the limit?

No I dont have my FAC yet. But the police have said I do have a chance of being granted an FAC because one of my rifles that I own is over the 12 limit.

I did say from the centre of a public highway :yes: again that qualifying condition comes into play as well as the interpretation of the law :yes:

I don't think it does Tony. A public highway is a public highway...not a privately owned road that the public use :thumbs:

This is gonna throw you a curve ball ;)

No I don't have any kind of permit or license for my FAC Rated Air rifle. But I'm not breaking any laws (now thats really thrown you hasn't it?) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1