Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

I think a DHXGH bitch with a full bull put over her would produce a more versatile deerhound lurcher.

Thing is though, you shouldnt need to add bull to it for it to function as a versatile lurcher. If a 70+lb dog needs the addition of bull in order to function then the dhxgh used is not of sufficient quality to justify breeding from it in the first place.

Also if you add bull you will probably reduce speed and add some bulk which may mean that some of the pups lack the length of leg and top end speed to cope well with some of the scenarios where these big dogs can excel.

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against bull x, nor do I have any particular bias towards dh over any other cross. But a 75-85lb dog regardless of breed should not be struggling with much of what is running around the UK

Your right a 75lb shouldnt struggle with much in the UK but the fact is an awful lot of them do.Its not the size of the dog in the fight and all that....My thinking was that alot of bullgreys can be a bit lacking in the leg but with deerhounds generally speaking being much taller than your average greyhound that this would produce a much taller racier bullDHxGH lurcher. This theory is aimed at people looking lurchers for heavy work not straight coursing men.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

I think a DHXGH bitch with a full bull put over her would produce a more versatile deerhound lurcher.

Thing is though, you shouldnt need to add bull to it for it to function as a versatile lurcher. If a 70+lb dog needs the addition of bull in order to function then the dhxgh used is not of sufficient quality to justify breeding from it in the first place.

Also if you add bull you will probably reduce speed and add some bulk which may mean that some of the pups lack the length of leg and top end speed to cope well with some of the scenarios where these big dogs can excel.

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against bull x, nor do I have any particular bias towards dh over any other cross. But a 75-85lb dog regardless of breed should not be struggling with much of what is running around the UK

Your right a 75lb shouldnt struggle with much in the UK but the fact is an awful lot of them do.Its not the size of the dog in the fight and all that....My thinking was that alot of bullgreys can be a bit lacking in the leg but with deerhounds generally speaking being much taller than your average greyhound that this would produce a much taller racier bullDHxGH lurcher. This theory is aimed at people looking lurchers for heavy work not straight coursing men.

Yeh I know what you mean mate and what you were getting at.

But for me dh x should be able to offer more to a lurcher then making them slightly taller. If they are not for whatever reason, then IMO the people breeding them need to have a look at themselves. I think its the most likely the show people that buy them for their looks alone etc etc. If breeders did best worker to best worker only for a couple of generations (and neutered everything else or pts) then I suspect that there would be a smaller percentage of people owning them saying they were shit.

• Like 1

jigsaw that top pic is an awesome animal and i love that pure deerhound bitch at the bottom

are they both irish lines /stamp or imported ???????

gibbo,their in ireland a few generations now but are from doxhope lines origionaly and the breeder is a top greyhound coursing participant,,so the sire is from top stuff but I dont know which it is.this is the bitch we might cover with my saluki 1st x.

our 1st xs are diluted doxhope ,you 'll prob have alot more in yours no doubt

i love both dogs there like tope 1st x looks a brute and the bottom bitch looksa well put together type

can you use this site to pm me in confidence if not i'll be gladly to mail you 1st with mine

honest lad and a genuine on you can trust me

cheers gibbo

our 1st xs are diluted doxhope ,you 'll prob have alot more in yours no doubt

i love both dogs there like tope 1st x looks a brute and the bottom bitch looksa well put together type

can you use this site to pm me in confidence if not i'll be gladly to mail you 1st with mine

honest lad and a genuine on you can trust me

cheers gibbo

thing is their my mates dogs gibbo and I dont have the names or details of whats what in the breeding.never bothered asking as I keep a different type all together.

Thing is though, you shouldnt need to add bull to it for it to function as a versatile lurcher. If a 70+lb dog needs the addition of bull in order to function then the dhxgh used is not of sufficient quality to justify breeding from it in the first place. Also if you add bull you will probably reduce speed and add some bulk which may mean that some of the pups lack the length of leg and top end speed to cope well with some of the scenarios where these big dogs can excel. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against bull x, nor do I have any particular bias towards dh over any other cross. But a 75-85lb dog regardless of breed should not be struggling with much of what is running around the UK

A DH x GH is more than capable of handling any heavy work. In truth, adding bull to the dogs would do nothing to improve them. I'm seen some excellent bull x's run but I feel people are missing the point if they think a fusion of these two types would produce better workers.

• Like 2

That's a nice pure bitch, jigsaw. What does she work like?

shes dead now ML,but she took fox and hare and believe it or not a good few rabbits in her day,I think she did 1 or 2 other things as well.it was a few years since that photo was taken.My mate has another pure now,I havent been down to him lately but im due a visit,next time I'll photo the new deerhound

Thing is though, you shouldnt need to add bull to it for it to function as a versatile lurcher. If a 70+lb dog needs the addition of bull in order to function then the dhxgh used is not of sufficient quality to justify breeding from it in the first place. Also if you add bull you will probably reduce speed and add some bulk which may mean that some of the pups lack the length of leg and top end speed to cope well with some of the scenarios where these big dogs can excel. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against bull x, nor do I have any particular bias towards dh over any other cross. But a 75-85lb dog regardless of breed should not be struggling with much of what is running around the UK

A DH x GH is more than capable of handling any heavy work. In truth, adding bull to the dogs would do nothing to improve them. I'm seen some excellent bull x's run but I feel people are missing the point if they think a fusion of these two types would produce better workers.

A lot of people would beg to differ about there aptitude for tackling stuff consistently.I would guess thats why there not more popular than they are for toothed stuff.

Edited by pattstaff

A lot of people would beg to differ about there aptitude for tackling stuff consistently.I would guess thats why there not more popular than they are for toothed stuff.

With respect mate, there's plenty of people that would beg to differ who've never even seen a DH X, let alone run one! Every thread that's put up about them has someone talk about them being painfully slow to get started, this simply isn't true in my experience. Bearing in mind my experience started a long time ago before bull X's were about in numbers and when DH X's and Collie X's were the norm and used for everything.

People are either rehashing what they've heard with no real experience or are watching/working poor quality dogs from questionable breeding.

The belief that DH's don't like teeth is another THL misconception perpetuated by those that spend too much time on the Internet.

What add bull blood to an already big dog and risk passing on bull feet, coat and wind?

I got my 1st X when I was 17. I lived in London and was always out with my dogs. He killed his 1st fox at about 16 months and killed 100's after that. Foxes were more or less all he was ran on. He never had a problem with them. He's been dead 12 years now and in his lifetime accounted for foxes every week.

If you want to run your dog at 6 months get a bull X, but don't dismiss a DH X because you have to wait until it's a year old.

• Like 5

With respect mate, there's plenty of people that would beg to differ who've never even seen a DH X, let alone run one! Every thread that's put up about them has someone talk about them being painfully slow to get started, this simply isn't true in my experience. Bearing in mind my experience started a long time ago before bull X's were about in numbers and when DH X's and Collie X's were the norm and used for everything.

People are either rehashing what they've heard with no real experience or are watching/working poor quality dogs from questionable breeding.

The belief that DH's don't like teeth is another THL misconception perpetuated by those that spend too much time on the Internet.

What add bull blood to an already big dog and risk passing on bull feet, coat and wind?

I got my 1st X when I was 17. I lived in London and was always out with my dogs. He killed his 1st fox at about 16 months and killed 100's after that. Foxes were more or less all he was ran on. He never had a problem with them. He's been dead 12 years now and in his lifetime accounted for foxes every week.

If you want to run your dog at 6 months get a bull X, but don't dismiss a DH X because you have to wait until it's a year old.

Your emotions are getting up Kranky and your losing the run of yourself. If you read the posts thoroughly alot of people have had direct experience of a genuine DHXGH and their first hand experience,which is as valid as yours by the way,was that they can start slowly and many not at all. Theres nobody stating that some dhx cant make good dogs or that some can start at the usual age, course they can but in a litter of DHXGHs a lot more will fail to make the grade than will regardless of what age you start them. I have had direct experience of them myself and it wasnt impressive in the slightest but Im not rubbishing them but would be very cautious about rearing one again for foxes and a lot of people feel the same because of a high failure rate.

I was stating my own feeling that a bit of bull could add more fire and certainty into a litter and of course there could be a trade off as bull can add some not so great traits but some people wouldnt mind that. At no time did I say what age I start my dogs, for the record I prefer to start all my young dogs around 16mths regardless of their breeding and also because your started hunting dogs at 17 has no relevance. I too grew up and started hunting in the years when DH and colliexs were the norm and all there was, the failure rate in my dogs now is less so and the dogs of old couldnt live with the dogs I have now in terms of style,panashe and numbers.

Too state that people spend too much time on the internet because they have an opinion that you dont like comes across as childish.

Your emotions are getting up Kranky and your losing the run of yourself. If you read the posts thoroughly alot of people have had direct experience of a genuine DHXGH and their first hand experience,which is as valid as yours by the way,was that they can start slowly and many not at all. Theres nobody stating that some dhx cant make good dogs or that some can start at the usual age, course they can but in a litter of DHXGHs a lot more will fail to make the grade than will regardless of what age you start them. I have had direct experience of them myself and it wasnt impressive in the slightest but Im not rubbishing them but would be very cautious about rearing one again for foxes and a lot of people feel the same because of a high failure rate.

I was stating my own feeling that a bit of bull could add more fire and certainty into a litter and of course there could be a trade off as bull can add some not so great traits but some people wouldnt mind that. At no time did I say what age I start my dogs, for the record I prefer to start all my young dogs around 16mths regardless of their breeding and also because your started hunting dogs at 17 has no relevance. I too grew up and started hunting in the years when DH and colliexs were the norm and all there was, the failure rate in my dogs now is less so and the dogs of old couldnt live with the dogs I have now in terms of style,panashe and numbers.

Too state that people spend too much time on the internet because they have an opinion that you dont like comes across as childish.

Lol!!!! You're emotions are getting up!!! If you see the opening line of my post it said "With respect", nothing was aimed at you. Do you not agree that there's a lot of idiots posting about different breeds that have no experience of them?

Your facts that the failure rate in a litter of DH X's is far higher than other breeds are based on what? I only ask because its not something I've seen myself.

If you're dogs now are far superior to your dogs of old then I congratulate you. However I don't believe that says anything about the quality of dogs then and now, as a whole. It just means that you had poor quality dogs back in the day.

I agree with you that a bit if bull would add fire but I don't believe the potential risks are worth it. A DH X will pull anything you put in front of it, without the fire you just won't need a break stick.

If people are struggling to get a dog going it days more about them than the dog, the notion of high failure rates in DH litters is nonsense and I'm not sure who has said that other than yourself.

There's nothing wrong with a bull cross, I've stated that before but run one alongside a DH X and then repeat your comment about style, panache and numbers.

• Like 4

I've never heard of a genuine working type deerhound not coming up to scratch. However I've heard of a good many deer/greys which turned out to be disappointing.

Does this not point to the fact that more care should be taken on the choice and quality of greyhound used? I would guess most of the greyhounds used are retired ex track dogs who didn't make it on the track, maybe even non chasers. I would prefer to use a greyhound that was capable of putting in a shift on the coursing field -at all quarry. Nothing wrong with ex track dogs but I think a more careful selection of the greyhound used would pay dividends.

Edited by jukel123

Kranky.

It's no good blaming people not using well breed deerhound stock, I done my research and went for doxhope.

The litter my brothers doxhope came from was the same litter gibbos bitch holly cane from.

If it was down to the entering, how comes there is not 1from that litter that can be take out tonight if asked and take a fox single handed?

There well over 2?

It was a large litter too, I know 1 of the dogs was ment to have done a bit round Sunderland way having spoke to his owner last year but I don't think he's running anymore due to burning out.

Even gibo in an earlier post from this time last year said by now he'd know if she had the mettle, it's this time next year and he's none the wiser.

Please don't tell me there not slow coming on if at all.

No offense to Leigh just using it as an example of how the litter has progressed.