Hit & Miss With The Moles

I don't make any money out of selling traps Probuck.

I'm lucky enough to have trade agreements with a couple of trap manufacturers, which allows me to buy traps in bulk and sell off the surplus at a small margin when I need to. It means I get my traps at a wholesale price, and I can also help a few genuine folks out by supplying them at keener prices than they may find from pest control distributors.

Do you seriously think that professional molecatchers buy their traps off ebay? No, of course they don't. Ebay is the favourite haunt of that perennial nuisance; the DIYer and part time cash merchants who don't hold trade accounts with pest control distributors.

It matters not a jot to me. I've got a two to three week waiting list for mole work and the more people buying chinky crud and failing to catch moles the better. It all adds to the 'mystique' of molecatching :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

Matt is right. The pro' trappers will meet dozens of not hundreds of gardeners who have unsuccessfully tried to trap moles using cheap traps then had to call the experts in.

And as for losing that many traps. Total nonsense. I've got loads of boar, foxes and badgers all around where I trap and all I've had is one tunnel trap moved a few feet then left. They don't even take the dead moles I leave behind. Of course if you can't remember where you've put them then you are bound to lose a few :whistling:

I loose between 10 and 20 each year to badgers, but then I work in the counties with the densest populations of badgers in the UK so I suppose it's inevitable.

As LeBrac says, I see dozens of second rate cheap traps set in gardens every week. Most are not fit for purpose, and some are (in my opinion) inhumane due to their week springs or poor construction.

I've also had various communications with some quite influential people lately, who are desperately trying to get mole traps added to the spring trap approval orders and subjected to the same testing as Fenns etc. I don't support that fully, but I don't think that anyone can deny that the far eastern market has done nothing for molecatching except encourage cheapskates to try trapping.

If mole traps are ever added to the STAO I wonder how many will end up in a scrap bin? None of mine hopefully.

My biggest loss of traps is the public. Some sites I work I have to be super covert and have a good memory. Count the traps in and out.

One of my farms old broc regularly dig up my traps but only in a certain area. I find the typical signs of turf routing and the trap a few yards down the hill.

Rabbits cause me more bother than anything else. More so in deep set runs. They find the lure of a freshly cut hole irresistible and start to scrape around it. Sometimes digging them up or just setting the trap off.

I have never used cheap traps but have often checked them out at the local agri suppliers. Some of the traps they get in are just shocking. But they do sell them and in quantities!!

A golf course where I had a load of traps go missing we're kind enough to replace them. I still have them hung up in the shed. Unused and dusty. Substandard would be an understatement.

Le Brac your so far from right there..how can i lose traps that are markerd and there on the same hedge line?? You seem to think you know whats happening to my traps and your in tim buk too..how bazzar is that?

Matt your wrong fella..ive just told you ive spoke to several people that trap mole using cheap traps. Its poinless telling me whats what at my end when you genuinely are just assuming...your both pritty good at tying to pull people strings. You must have got on the phone or email and decided to have another pop at my posts lol

Le Brac your so far from right there..how can i lose traps that are markerd and there on the same hedge line?? You seem to think you know whats happening to my traps and your in tim buk too..how bazzar is that?

Matt your wrong fella..ive just told you ive spoke to several people that trap mole using cheap traps. Its poinless telling me whats what at my end when you genuinely are just assuming...your both pritty good at tying to pull people strings. You must have got on the phone or email and decided to have another pop at my posts lol

Whats the cheapskate thing about lol...my cheap traps have got stronger springs than my fenn traps..fact and they sell between £6 and £13...MADNESS.!!

Im not going to get into a silly rant with you two again..ive had my say and that will do me.

You must be right Probuck; I can see dozens of pro molecatchers posting on here about how good the £2 traps on ebay are............

I must remember that your knowledge of the pest control industry far exceeds mine the next time I'm tempted to post anything that doesn't agree 100% with your fine, and highly regarded opinions.

Oh, and for the record, I can assure you that the last correspondence between Le Brac and myself was some time ago, and not that friendly. I guess he's just as able to recognise an idiot just as me.

Cheap Talpex are dreadful - yes, they catch, but only in very light soil and pinch the mole to death rather than making a pro job of it. Cheap duffus are just as nasty

Yeah ok lol

Well, I guess ignorance is bliss. Its only my opinion on the traps from experience mate, but suit yourself as you clearly won't agree with anyone about anything.

• Like 1

I reckon he came on here as the great Messiah to teach you useless old lags a thing or two about what you are doing wrong. What he fails to acknowledge is that any pro' no matter what their trade will use the best tools for the job based on efficiency and longevity. If any of these Chinese traps were any good the pro' mole catchers would know about them and word would spread.

I've had some really good advice from chaps on here in particular uncle pester, and you instinctively know when someone really knows what they are talking about. And you also get the bull schitters and Walts who are equally as identifiable. Guess where I think Probuk sits? :whistling: