Hit & Miss With The Moles

Never trapped a mole in my life until recently but now finding it strangely addictive... almost therapeutic.

This being said getting used to the probe and trying to avoid split or curving tunnels has generated some colourful language.

Anyway - having some success with half-barrels but I seem to be missing a few that appear to get to the trap and poke up infront it judging from the hole. The traps arn't backfilled so i assume it me not taking enough care to lay it but despite best efforts it still seems to be happening. I realise the art of mole catching is cloaked in secrecy but any help would be appreciated.

I've tried the search facility but the quantity of threads immense and i'm too green to know the terminology.

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, a dog eat dog world out there,...and I learned my lessons the hard way a long time ago,...   So, unless in the company, of close and trusted friends,...I follow the maxim for survival, in an

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret

Who told you that Snakey? Jeff by any chance?   Funny you should mention that Earthy; at that time I sat on the Servicing Committee of the BPCA. From memory, I think we were told that there was no h

Posted Images

smooth off the base of the run after digging out, tight trap as said above, and don't be afraid to push it down firmly.

Another thing some overlook is covering the trap up properly, you need to make sure no light or air can get in.

Just my tuppence worth of course

Thank you - makes sense really. The trouble seem to be coming from the very shallow runs just under the turf where its difficult to pack a clod in without damaging the run. mental note to cut it tighter :thumbs:

In my limited experience I find that time spent searching out the deeper runs is usually more productive. Also, after you have put the trap in tightly and before you sprinkle the soil over to seal it, just take the pressure off the spring by pushing down on it and gently ease the trigger latch back so it is only just holding. Then repeat on the other side.

• Like 1

Use a trapline or talpex trap 100% garanteed never had one gone off without a mole in it, but saying that completely green with envy at people cathing on the barrel traps as all i use to catch with them was mud.. :icon_redface: I use trapline which you put in the run hole either side and are great for three way tunnels too...

But obviously if your catching well with the barrel trap keep going with them as there cheaper and a favroute with all GOOD mole catchers and obviously a favroute for a reason..

• Like 1

Still feeling my way through things really - read a couple of books which seem to padded out with 95% shite so any / all comments welcome. In terms of excluding light i'm pretty sure i'm doing that - definatley guilty of making the holes too big then trying to pack them out - blagging it width ways but length-way seem to be where things are going wrong.

One of the moles was caught arse end in so maybe if I tune the trigger a bit this might not give them the chance next time.....

Still feeling my way through things really - read a couple of books which seem to padded out with 95% shite so any / all comments welcome. In terms of excluding light i'm pretty sure i'm doing that - definatley guilty of making the holes too big then trying to pack them out - blagging it width ways but length-way seem to be where things are going wrong.

One of the moles was caught arse end in so maybe if I tune the trigger a bit this might not give them the chance next time.....

Sounds like your traps are not very good. I struggled for months using cheap traps that were hampering my moling. After I bought some decent traps I really started making progress. I'd suggest that you buy a few tunnel traps from Flatpack and try them against your current traps. I'm sure that you'll see the difference in results.

Use a trapline or talpex trap 100% garanteed never had one gone off without a mole in it, but saying that completely green with envy at people cathing on the barrel traps as all i use to catch with them was mud.. :icon_redface: I use trapline which you put in the run hole either side and are great for three way tunnels too...

But obviously if your catching well with the barrel trap keep going with them as there cheaper and a favroute with all GOOD mole catchers and obviously a favroute for a reason..

if you have never missed a mole in a trap , you gotta be summit special, you gonna make a mint if you share your secret
  • Like 4

You need to read " Moles And Their Control " by Guy N. Smith. Probably the best book ever written on the subject :good:

No. Alright. That was a bare faced lie :rofl:

Probably the first proper book i read, on moles and mole catching.Interestingly enough ive just come across , a new book just out , by a mole catcher.

Tell us more Earthy............

The best work I've read on the subject was by Arthur Randal. An expensive book these days, but a valuable addition to the bookshelf of any molecatcher.

Hi Matt, I found it on 'Amazon', its called 'How to catch a mole' by Armour Roberts. Welsh mole catcher of 25 years , apparently.Just out this year,it seems.