Feeding Dogs Rabbit?

I don't know what make it is, but its a big industrial sized one, goes through anything. I feed the dogs raw chicken carcasses but thought it was different with rabbit. That whippet knows how to put them away.lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mince it, and feed it raw. Mine have a mix of minced rabbit and chicken, and then whole raw stuff that they can cope with. I freeze the rabbit for a few weeks first, then defrost and feed.

i freeze for 6-8 weeks, by then should have killed the worms, and worm the dog 3 times a year, and so far never get any worms. i give the dogs 1/2 rabbit each, and it give them somthing to chew on

What make of mincer do you have? have you tried it, ive heard they have to be really powerful to mince rabbit on the bone, and are expensive. a good tip, a Butcher told me freeze the rabbit, and when

Posted Images

Yes, freeze them first for a good 2-3 weeks - they still need regular worming though.

I use a hand crank mincer and chop the meat into small enough pieces that the mincer ( and me ! ) can cope with - extra long handle, and it burns off a few calories, but it was £3 from a boot sale, and not £100s + for a mechanical one.

i freeze for 6-8 weeks, by then should have killed the worms, and worm the dog 3 times a year, and so far never get any worms. i give the dogs 1/2 rabbit each, and it give them somthing to chew on :yes: , never botherd to mince them , dogs like to get the teeth into them,plus it help to clean there teeth, lamb bones good as well :thumbs:

• Like 2

i get boxes of scrap meat and cartilge bones for my dogs i give raw rabbit everytime i get it and feed raw meet also and they love it saves me a fortune on meats wer i get it i can get at least 3 weeks feeding out of 1 box depending on the quantity 3 handfulls per dog and there stuffed wont eat anymore lol

I feed whole, guts in and fur on.....same for any things else, pigeons, ducks, corvids, the occasional bit of venison that is gifted to me by a generous stalker......feather, fur, pelt on and all the guts in.....except for deer, they are gutted ( by the generous stalker) and I only feed the offal

I have not fed my lab pup any whole Kills of anything, just minced raw chicken as it didn't seem to make much sense to feed what I wanted him to retrieve

Plenty of variation in the diet, garlick, spices etc etc and I don't have a problem with worms.

• Like 1

I don't ( my choice ) I gut them.

Me too ... to be honest when im grafting the dogs to the max I don't feed rabbit there isnt enough in them for my liking,I like plenty of fat amongst my dog scran and even then I buy blocks of lard and add some of that ... seem to look and run ok anyway and my last two were 16 and 14 year old when they went so no long term health issues?

• Like 2

The one thing I don't like feeding my dogs is dry food of any kind, I will do it in the depths of winter to blow them up a bit but I don't like it.

It gos through them like f**k, big sloppy turds and to me that can't be right

Me too ... to be honest when im grafting the dogs to the max I don't feed rabbit there isnt enough in them for my liking,I like plenty of fat amongst my dog scran and even then I buy blocks of lard and add some of that ... seem to look and run ok anyway and my last two were 16 and 14 year old when they went so no long term health issues?

Same as that with the lard mate, mine also get every leftover from roast dinner to apple pie and custard !!!......anything we eat that is leftover is put in with their grub

Can't beat melting a big block of lard over the whole mess when the weather is harsh, they need it

Same as that with the lard mate, mine also get every leftover from roast dinner to apple pie and custard !!!......anything we eat that is leftover is put in with their grub

Can't beat melting a big block of lard over the whole mess when the weather is harsh, they need it

I do the same with cod live oil rather than lard - brought in 5L tubs from a country store ( for horses ) it gets the calories up nicely.

• Like 2

Most of the dry food is shite Wilf infact some of it I'd probably rather eat shite..im only in my 40's and can remember when the 1st "all in one" came out around me anyway it was called Solo...it was always a dustbin full of offal,sheep heads and tripe from the Slaughterhouse...dogs still ran grand infact I had the best lurcher I've ever had back then lol...just wish I'd been clever enough to of invented it haha

• Like 1