Sprocker Pup

Get it perfect indoors before you go outside.And then use an alleyway.You can also teach it to hold and exchange for food,I use a clicker and they hold the object untill they hear the click and i exchange for food.Have a look on clicker training on youtube

hi all i have a sprocker that is 4 months old now ive just started doing some basic training with her and im realy struggling with her retreiving could any one help or point me in the right direction yis

What aspect of the retrieve are you failing to in-still into your puppy.

Edited by camokev64

i dont no if its just me she will pick and choose when she will chase and pick up and when returning with the object she drops it is this normal ?

From the age of 8 weeks to 6/7 months i don`t put to much emphasis on the quality of the actual delivery ( spaniels ),rather encourage the dog to run back to you - get on your knees and let the dog jump into your arms -DON`T make any attempt to take to dummy,if it drops it ! dont worry,nurture the return to you and make the dog feel he is in a comfort zone.Your probable standing over the dog upon it`s return is giving off a dominance to the dog thus dropping the dummy....

I would probably not allow yourself to not get to drawn in with the retrieving aspect as the more retrieves the dog is sent for the more it will think that every dummy thrown is the dogs..

At 5 months i tend to let a dog only have say 1 retrieve in 12 dummy situations,rather walking out and returning with the dummy to put in the dogs mouth,hence instill-ing in the dog that everything shot is not his/hers... there are other approaches that can be tried..

Stick in...

Find a toy she likes, get on the floor with her and make it fun, when she looks to be coming back to you move backwards until she returns right back to you.

Keep it fun and when she has retrieved maybe twice, keep making a fuss of her but call it a day at that.

Just keep building on it but dont let her get to the point when she gets board.

just forget about it for a while mate,4 months is a baby,keep things light,theres no rush.

spot on.my two sprocker pups are 7 1/2 months old.the smaller chocolate dog will retrieve to hand,sit and wait for the puppy dummy to be taken off him.his black and white litter brother has just started to pick the dummy up.it would be so easy to spoil the chocolate dog as he is coming on so fast but i am still concentrating on the basics with them both for the time being.i have read a lot of cracking advice on here and obedience and steadyness needs sorting first before retrieving.

• Like 1