Sea Fishing Kiyak

Aye have a wee paddle up the west coast up to Rannoch moor gnasher lol

:laugh: Loch Lomond's a cracking loch to canoe/camp on the wee islands.

I think they,re trying to crack doon on folk camping on the islands Baw, must,ve read that story you started on the gen section lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use one for breath hold diving and spearfishing as well as a bit of angling. The model is "Scupper pro" by ocean kayak. I rigged it myself with sounder, anchor etc. My advice is to buy admiralty ch

Actually, I have been writig the kayak fishing features in all the magazines (except Sea Angler - whose editor said in his editorial, that kayak fishing ould appear in his pages over his dead body and

I am a qualified kayak fishing coach (instructor) an drun courses up and down the country - and Scotland and Wales - and Italy even!   A few ictures of som eof the training and coaching I have done

Well they looked pretty flat them Loch,s i might just give em a go :D ............if it was just about being able to do it i probably wouldnt bother but i can imagine being on water round that sort of scenery is some feeling !

• Like 2

They're flat all right, right up to the moment they blow into huge maelstrom of waves! Try Loch Ness for a wee paddle.....we were trolling out of Morriston one night, flat calm, sunshine, lovely.....ten minutes later I was hanging on for dear life as the boat went up and doon like a brides nightie.....just made it back....one boat got wrecked.....gotta watch them bigger watters, they can roll up even when it appears calm....

Aye have a wee paddle up the west coast up to Rannoch moor gnasher lol

:laugh: Loch Lomond's a cracking loch to canoe/camp on the wee islands.
I think they,re trying to crack doon on folk camping on the islands Baw, must,ve read that story you started on the gen section lol

:laugh: aye it's a national park these days. They take the fun out of everything. They want to attract tourists then when they do, they try there best to put them off.

• Like 1

Well they looked pretty flat them Loch,s i might just give em a go :D ............if it was just about being able to do it i probably wouldnt bother but i can imagine being on water round that sort of scenery is some feeling !

It sure is gnash mate. Even going down a canal in a canoe is good. As wulz says, they can turn nasty in a heart beat and that's no exaggeration. As long as you keep relatively close to the edge, you'll be fine. Not too close though, need a bit of water to get out the thing :laugh: I'd say the sit on kayaks would be your best bet mate, can get off them easy if you run into problems.

Baw there's a bit of water around Ramsey Island Pembrokeshire that's called the bitches and talk about heavy water there in a canoe,scared the living sh*t out of two of us caught up in it

You wouldn't get me in there in a Kayak for gold mate! :laugh:

Baw there's a bit of water around Ramsey Island Pembrokeshire that's called the bitches and talk about heavy water there in a canoe,scared the living sh*t out of two of us caught up in it

You wouldn't get me in there in a Kayak for gold mate! :laugh:

We didn't quite go into that lot but i knew it was there and paddled for my life and that isn't a joke as you know,the fear of death sure perks you up with extra power when you need it but we were shaking for ages afterwards.For those that don't know that film is when the tides starts to flow between the main land and Ramsey Island and that is totaly normal,bit of the Blue Laggon at the end there Malt :thumbs: ,sure do miss living in Pembrokeshire :cray:,best fishing i've ever had thats for sure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

make sure you learn about tides and the place were you kayak from, go out in a group at sea.

theres nothing more daunting when your a couple miles off shore and the sea changes .

you seem to paddle but get no were and in some times feels your going backwards,

always check in with local coast gaurd and let them know were your fishing

always have a vhf course and practice safety and being able to get back on the yak.

never panic as this is the cause of accidents or your life

join a club these will show you techniques and how to paddle correctly.

learn about what your safety and clothing wear is.

i saw a lad once with a drysuit on and he never de-compressed it .

ended up in the sea with is head under water and is legs up in air.

restrict clothing and wear wet suits only go out in summer and always wear a good flotation or life jacket

i dont want to scare you but theres alot out there just buy a kayak and think its ok to go out to paddle with out learning.

its a brill hobby and very addictive if you dont mind the film jaws :)

follow these and youll be allright fella

Edited by psm

I am a qualified kayak fishing coach (instructor) an drun courses up and down the country - and Scotland and Wales - and Italy even!

A few ictures of som eof the training and coaching I have done (with the RNLI station closest - they come and play too). Many of these guys this is their FIRST DAY in a kayak. Some are more experienced. i have been kayak fishing, and designing fihsig kayaks, since 1972! It wasn't new then either.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT - PRACTISING SELF RESCUE, IN WAVES! Because you won't often fal off in calm water.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

And with the lifeboat along to practise rescuing a kayaker in trouble (they need guinea pigs to play with!) The lads love the speed boat ride!

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

We cover rough water handling, provided there is some rough water. We normally manage to find some.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

It is a full day and covers every aspect, from rigging considerations, launching, landing (and in small surf), anchoring, using a drogue, rescues, staying upright, paddling straight, paddling in wind - from all angles. manoevring in tight corners, vbasic navigation, weather, tides and fishing safety aspects. The nav, weather an dtides we cannot go into detail but enough to make the course attendees much more aware of WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW. next one is in Southampton area on May 4th. I will be fishing for smoothounds that night and anyone from the course who wants guided fishing that night, it is included. I have one in Plymouth on 6th July too. Cost is just £60 per head - for a full day mind (that is only £8 per hour)

Some fishng pics

Lulworth002.jpg

Lulworth001.jpg

Est_0303Bill.jpg

Est_0295Bill.jpg

Est_0292Bill.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

P1000573.jpg

merseypike008.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

bream054.jpg

bream044.jpg

Ladram117.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Doradocomo034-1.jpg

Doradocomo037-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Lozzskate01.jpg

lozzskate02.jpg

Devonbass.jpg

Sharking, 12 miles out. Sat side saddle. One of my kayaks.

Sharking016.jpg

kaskazi055.jpg

kaskazi051.jpg

kaskazi052.jpg

Doradocatches009.jpg

STABILITY - IT IS ALL IN THE HEAD! I can get most people to be able to stand up by the endof the day - I bet the course would save you £200 in lost tackle on your first three trips alone! Look at the number of people who have "learned the hard way" - lost rods/reels/GPS/VHF - all in the waves, gone forever!

StandUp002.jpg

StandUp.jpg

• Like 5