What some people don't seem to get is that bodybuilding is a sport.....yes nowadays there is a lot of ponces in the gym wanting big arms to wear a tight tshirt round town Friday night :icon_eek: worst still are the bodybuilders with big upper bodies and scrawny legs :laugh: allways a dead give away of a poser rather than the real deal :yes: ....one thing for certain ,with the best diet,training routine,supplements ,rest etc etc no matter how wll you are blessed genetically.....even at a small local show without using gear you would not stand a chance of winning or even placing,this Is why I got out of it.I am fortunate in being able to put size on fairly quickly /easily,however trying to keep the mass on whilst dieting for a show is very difficult,a problem easily solved by using gear.....Im glad I never succumbed to them then and Im glad I got out of the game and went into boxing and martial arts.....I would be gutted if any of my kids ever got into bodybuilding,the whole game is rotten through the curse of steroids growth hormones....

What makes bodybuilding a sport....any more than building a fast car is a sport ?.................

A competitive bodybuilder surrounded by thousands of pounds of equipment is no more " a bodybuilder " than somebody who trains with a barbell at home for personal achievement.

I get your drift Gnash,butCOMPETITIVE bodybuilding is a sport,if I jog 5 mile a day its not a sport,if I run at competitions it is,if you get my meaning,this isn't meant as a slight on anyone who trains at home (free weights are the only thing needed to build mass) ,would much rather train at home if I was to lift again nowadays....far too many weekend warriors in the gym now.On the face of it its quite a strange game,grown men looking at/criticising each others bodies :laugh::icon_redface: oiling each other up :icon_eek: looking at you,looking at me ,looking at you in the mirrors.....yeah hes got massive pecs,but his anterior deltoids are out of proportion and his hamstrings are weak :blink::laugh: and you can barely see his intercostals BEEF! :icon_redface::laugh:

• Like 2

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were gonna threaten to beat me up mate. I am unfit, overweight, wear glasses, suffer from bouts of cowardice & I'm a bleeder.....it would be pretty pointless & you could take no

Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "...........

funny how people slag steroids off yet think its ok to act/fight like a dick on a weekend and and also think that drinking 10 pints on a friday is ok and dosent damage your health.   infact bet half

Posted Images

is that you gnash hope your giving lab a decent start up ben nevis ive sprained me ankle :thumbs:

You've sprained your ankle!!! Ive sprained both...... :whistling:

Thats one bit that i don't get, its not about vanity, yet body builders wear vests like that, and hang around in rooms with lots of mirrors.

Those vests always remind me of borat and his mankini.

That picture is during training inside a gym not in the local pub or restaurant what do you want people to train in whooly jumpers and denims ?....Freedom of movement is more important than fashionable clothing...........Ive never hung around in rooms with lots of mirrors,i go in the gym,train and get out......

Some folk seem to have very steroetyped attitudes to certain things.....funny that,when the boots on the other foot and people steroetype hunters as evil nasty scum those same people start moaning about being sterotyped :whistling: ....human natures a funny thing sometimes.

• Like 1

I get your drift Gnash,butCOMPETITIVE bodybuilding is a sport,if I jog 5 mile a day its not a sport,if I run at competitions it is,if you get my meaning,this isn't meant as a slight on anyone who trains at home (free weights are the only thing needed to build mass) ,would much rather train at home if I was to lift again nowadays....far too many weekend warriors in the gym now.On the face of it its quite a strange game,grown men looking at/criticising each others bodies :laugh::icon_redface: oiling each other up :icon_eek: looking at you,looking at me ,looking at you in the mirrors.....yeah hes got massive pecs,but his anterior deltoids are out of proportion and his hamstrings are weak :blink::laugh: and you can barely see his intercostals BEEF! :icon_redface::laugh:

Competetive bodybuilding is for a very tiny percent of lifters...........................is Crufts a dog sport ?...id say no myself but by your reckoning it must be.

You can laugh and mock all you like mate after all said and done a man only has himself to please...............if lifting is not for you thats fine.....but why people feel a need to take the piss i dont understand that,thing ive noticed is they never stand in front of you and say it.......but like i say,human nature is funny like that sometimes.

• Like 1

Thats one bit that i don't get, its not about vanity, yet body builders wear vests like that, and hang around in rooms with lots of mirrors.

Those vests always remind me of borat and his mankini.

That picture is during training inside a gym not in the local pub or restaurant what do you want people to train in whooly jumpers and denims ?....Freedom of movement is more important than fashionable clothing...........Ive never hung around in rooms with lots of mirrors,i go in the gym,train and get out......

Some folk seem to have very steroetyped attitudes to certain things.....funny that,when the boots on the other foot and people steroetype hunters as evil nasty scum those same people start moaning about being sterotyped :whistling: ....human natures a funny thing sometimes.

ye you get the odd dick in the gym who is more interested in his reflection than trainin. But i would say the majority dont do that.

If i was genetically gifted enough to look like Arnie without doing any training and eating whatever i wanted would bodybuilding be a sport for me?

effectively all i'd be doing is putting on a load of fake tan,wearing a thong and flexing in front of a load of men.

that in itself surely can't be a sport.

If i was genetically gifted enough to look like Arnie without doing any training and eating whatever i wanted would bodybuilding be a sport for me?

effectively all i'd be doing is putting on a load of fake tan,wearing a thong and flexing in front of a load of men.

That would never happen though..... :thumbs:

but the point is preparation towards the sport doesn't matter,the sport is the activity itself.

i.e the 100s of miles of roadwork,100s of rounds sparring,dieting,making weight etc etc you may need to do to be a pro boxer isn't the sport,the sport is the 4-12 rounds in the ring competing.

Competetive bodybuilding is for a very tiny percent of lifters...........................is Crufts a dog sport ?...id say no myself but by your reckoning it must be.

You can laugh and mock all you like mate after all said and done a man only has himself to please...............if lifting is not for you thats fine.....but why people feel a need to take the piss i dont understand that,thing ive noticed is they never stand in front of you and say it.......but like i say,human nature is funny like that sometimes.

Wasn't laughing at no one but myself..... :icon_redface:was doing most of the above myself,its a funny thing aswell,have you ever noticed that the better we look the more critical we are of ourselves :blink: used to love the banter in the gym,I think as you say a lot are taking the piss out of something they know nowt about,if they've got nowt interesting to say let em crack on,dont let it upset you,as you said they wont say it to faces only a keyboard.One thing that did piss me off when I was into the bodybuilding,come summer all the lads would be walking round in shorts ,veste etc no bother,only went out in a vest once and the stick of the lads was a nightmare,poser,sted ed,etc etc cant win,stick to your own thing pal and f**k em all :thumbs:

While on the topic of bodybuilding did anyone ever go to the seminars with guest posers in the 80s/90s saw Rich Gaspari,Bazil Francis,Bertil Fox,Dorian Yates.In those days Lee Haney was winning everything but for some reason my favourite was Sergio Oliva....hes probably not considered that massive nowadays but back in the day he was HUUUUGE,Tom Platz was the guy for legs had massive quads,well striated and plenty of size,awesome :yes: Gladys Portugese.....don't get me started :boogy: ....happy days

but the point is preparation towards the sport doesn't matter,the sport is the activity itself.

i.e the 100s of miles of roadwork,100s of rounds sparring,dieting,making weight etc etc you may need to do to be a pro boxer isn't the sport,the sport is the 4-12 rounds in the ring competing.

I think im in agreement :blink: ...............the fight/race/match etc....is the reward for the hard work and dedication leading up to it..........bodybuilding doesnt have that.................personally i dont compete anymore i dont particularly like a lot of things that go with it......doesnt mean im any less dedicated just means i dont have to peak for a date....therefore im no different to a skinny 9 stone lad lifting a barbell in his bedroom we do it for personal achievement no complicated deep rooted reasoning.

• Like 1

Wasn't laughing at no one but myself..... :icon_redface:was doing most of the above myself,its a funny thing aswell,have you ever noticed that the better we look the more critical we are of ourselves :blink: used to love the banter in the gym,I think as you say a lot are taking the piss out of something they know nowt about,if they've got nowt interesting to say let em crack on,dont let it upset you,as you said they wont say it to faces only a keyboard.One thing that did piss me off when I was into the bodybuilding,come summer all the lads would be walking round in shorts ,veste etc no bother,only went out in a vest once and the stick of the lads was a nightmare,poser,sted ed,etc etc cant win,stick to your own thing pal and f**k em all :thumbs:

Sorry mate my mistake i got that wrong ;)

Just bugs me when folk stereotype something they know nothing about.......and then moan when the same happens to them ( hunting for example ).

Posers are posers regardless what it is they are posing with could be cars,jewellery,birds.........a poser is a poser...........i wouldnt be seen dead in a vest and shorts in public id look a complete toby ! ........or maybe just a sleek little claret and blue number maybe :D

Steroid use is more rife than ever now. Why? Cos most of the little posers & homos who walk around emulating JLS with the low cut tops, gay haircuts & spray tans are bang into them. They say its fashion but if you spend more time applying make up & straightening your hair than your lass you might aswell take it up the arse. How times have changed.....and not for the better either!

Yes exactly like JLS....very pretty haircut,lovely nose and teeth.......definately a fashion conscious homo !

hooter1_zpsd1ec386d.jpg

JLS = Juice loaded Scouser ?

Joking aside, man has had an infatuation with muscle mass and physical size for millenia, it is the old adage me tarzan you jane philosophy. Purely for his own personal satisfaction and nothing to do with vanity or masculinity ? i think i would beg to differ. That is why there are bodybuilding competitions, "COMPETITIONS" so one can pose, yes "pose" and show his masculinity and size at its finest being, all buff and brawn. To say there is no vanity in body building is a bit of a bluff, come on, again back to an inward urge to attract the opposite sex and procreate. One has to stand out, peacock style, be bigger and better than any competition he might have with other males. Weather you (we) like it or not it is an inbuilt animal'istic homosapien urge to look our best and preen those feathers and look and feel great against all other competition (some a lot more than other's i might add). I am not slandering the hobbie of body building, merely stating that in my opinion anyone that does this is not doing it purely for themselves, but surely there is self felt glory and satisfaction from low ranking males that suck up and praise men who have made the effort to build their bodies into this form. Exhibitionists come in all forms, and body building is one of them.

This is not aimed solely at yourself gnasher, but my quote has stemmed from your posting a picture of yourself on a public forum and fore mentioning that your not vain or a poser or the likes, would you agree an exhibitionist? or argue against ?

I whole heartedly praise you in your quest of physical achievement, i read your posts on this topic with interest, can i ask what age are you in the pic and would you recommend the hobbie of body building ?

Yours in sincerity

Michael.

Ive been coming on here about 7 years Michael.....ive spoken on the subject of bodybuilding many times.....if i wanted to " pose " or be an " exhibitionist " as you say......i would of posted a picture long before now ;) .......I posted a picture in a light hearted way in response to somebody saying that bodybuilders are pretty boys who spend all day doing their hair etc etc......you can disect the mind of a bodybuilder with all the long words and deep meanings you like i can only speak for myself.....and for me it has never had anything to do with this " preening the feathers " thing you talk about..............i enjoy lifting weights,pushing my body to the limit and testing myself.......always have and probably will continue to for as long as the body allows.....it really is no more complicated than that !

Would i recommend the hobby of bodybuilding......im a gym owner,yes of course i would !

Edited by gnasher16

Didn't i read somewhere you only recently learnt to post a picture on here ? lol

Joking aside, i do believe in what you say about pushing your body to levels and testing yourself. Are you saying it is totally for self satisfaction and nothing to do with sharing what you have achieved with others ?

Body building being an art form, albeit hobbie based, i am sure there is a time one wants to show his art and get some gratification from others, even if its just from the training partner in the changing rooms. You didn't stand and pose for that photo for a pass port photograph ?? (catch my drift) There within is the exhibitionist i speak of. It is not a bad word or one to be ashamed of. To say it has nothing "to do with this preening the feathers thing you talk about" again sir i really do beg to differ.

Can i join your gym ? lol ;+)

Michael