What Nv To Buy ?

Looking to get a night vision on my BSA r10 for ratting and lamp shy bunnies.

Are there any particular models to avoid, or any I should really be looking at ?

It has been suggested on the hunting thread I could look at a DIY job, but to be honest I don't really have the time or patience to build such a thing, and I am not sure I could get used to looking at a screen on top of the scope rather than through the scope itself.

The ranges I generally use are between 10yds and 60.

I don't want to go too silly and spend thousands, but also not really after cheap and very cheerfully either.

Is it possible to get a unit that hinges onto the eye piece of a normal day scope, so I can keep it for day or night use without changing scope and re-zero every time ?

If not, I quite like the look of something like this, 290876041433 ebay, are they any good, I have no idea about nv so really could use some help from those who do.

Edited by Rabid

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have tried the sonycam set up but it is more suited to a pcp and it has a similar position to the ns50.the unit you are looking on e bay at is very similar to a unit i bought from nv scopes .they ar

i have tried the sonycam set up but it is more suited to a pcp and it has a similar position to the ns50.the unit you are looking on e bay at is very similar to a unit i bought from nv scopes .they are very heavy and have to remain on the airgun all the time.the other option is a add on like a pulsar ,with a dsa ( day scope adaptor ) you use the scope as normal in the day then add the add on onto the back for night time.you will reqire additional ir with these to extend viewing to around 100 yds and it is better to have a scope with side parrallax focus .

• Like 1

I have the same sort of requirments as you and i chose the NiteSite NS50 and i am more than happy with it. There are other makers of night vision, you have just missed the shooting show where you could of looked over all of your options.

Guest scramble

If you dont want to build a home made system then go for a pulsar challenger add-on or cobra merlin add on. if you add the right IR illumination you'll get over 100 yards with ease. dont waste your money buying the NM800 illuminater, get a 501B and add an aspheric lens and a 1w ir drop in.

ebay items : 251244987083 280841096537

http://dx.com/p/glass-optics-for-flashlights-28mm-5297

you'll need a rechargeable battery for your 501b 160888656079

SCRAMBLE

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I realise the scope I linked to is a permanent fixture, I was considering this or the Yukon scope, and it would mean having to buy another rifle for day use, sigh, how terrible !

However, it sounds like I have other options.

These add ons, how do they affect your shooting position ? I presume they will narrow your eye relief, so possibly make your shooting position further back ?

How easy are they to add/remove, I guess by the very nature of them it will not be a major task.

In reality, having never even looked through any nv kit, what is the picture like ?

Rob.

SCRAMBLE, thanks for the links, I will check them out now.

Edited by Rabid

Hi Rob re addon units. by getting a set of reach forward mounts you can soak up some of the length of the addon unit and the set up is still very useable in the day time (just lean into the scope a bit more).Remember with the nv unit you eye is up against the addon and not an inch or so away as in a day scope. Fitting and removing the nv addon unit is an easy ten second job (slightly slower with a raised eyepiece diopter ring). Favourite compact illumination is via a Dipol L3 or N1000 IR laser. I have used both the merlin cobra and pulsar gen 1 units and they are good for 12ftlb and fac air ranges with an ir laser. The pulsar unit wont fit the cobra dsa, so don't mix and match dsa's. Of the two units the pulsar has the edge on performance, but is not as robust in build quality. Once you use powder firearms then gen 2 is the way to go imo. Unfortunately the price doubles that of gen1 roughly. neil

btw the item you were looking at on ebay was what I had before the addon units ;)

Edited by stillair1
Guest scramble

Dont use a laser, they cost too much and the laser is dirty giving a poor quality image through the NV unit. LED's are much cleaner and cheaper. :thumbs:

Edited by scramble

Hi Scramble have you used one of these led units with an 850nm output on a tubed gen1 addon. All my research is saying the 850nm led is great for digi stuff, but pants for tubed gen 1 stuff which are most sensitive in the 790-805nm region. neil

I have been using a cobra merlin Gen1 and day scope adapter with a N1000 laser for past 5-6 years now and would highly recommend as you dont need two rifles, one for day & one for night use, and i use mine on my air rifle and rimfire. As some one previously mentioned, you just use forward reach mounts to move day scope forward an inch or two to make allowance for the add on, you soon get used to it.

My father upgraded his a while ago to a cobra gen 2+ and after using it last week and i could clearly see rabbits at over 300 yards as clear as day i shall be upgrading mine in the next few weeks! Gen1 for sale anyone :-)

Guest scramble

Hi Scramble have you used one of these led units with an 850nm output on a tubed gen1 addon. All my research is saying the 850nm led is great for digi stuff, but pants for tubed gen 1 stuff which are most sensitive in the 790-805nm region. neil

What nm are most lasers that are being offered???? 790nm, that would get you the distance agreed but for airgun ranges out to 70 yards 850nm wont make that much difference.

Edited by scramble

"My father upgraded his a while ago to a cobra gen 2+ and after using it last week and i could clearly see rabbits at over 300 yards as clear as day i shall be upgrading mine in the next few weeks! Gen1 for sale anyone :-)"

The cobra titan is a very nice unit , we were comparing gen2 units the other night, same scope same lasers. Would you believe it one dipol was brighter than the other!

Anyways re original post, the atn dedicated gen 1 unit is a good example of a gen1 dedicated, however the two main probs with it are the low mag 4-5 iirc. and the weight 2kg which sits up hight due to the large front lens. The bsa is one of the better rifles to fit one to as it has no stickyup mags like the rapid or AArms which need an intermount to clear and this exacerbates the top heavy feel, hold over/under issues and loss of cheek weld. There are some very low inserts which fit on an 11mm rail and converts to weaver adding virtually no extra height if you go dedicated. neil

Edited by stillair1

Thanks for the opinions so far, it sounds as though the dedicated night scope won't be the one for me, but rather one of these add ons you have mentioned, that way I keep just the one rifle, and have the option of fitting onto my .22 as well.

So after narrowing that down, I now need to narrow what add on unit I am looking for, and the sort of costs I should be expecting to pay.

I must stress that using it on the .22 is not a must, it's really only the r10 that I want to get fitted out at present.

Thanks for everything so far.

Rob.

I probably should add, I am a bit of a tackle tart and would like to find the best unit possible, I do have a reasonable budget to spend on the right one.

Edited by Rabid

Thanks for the opinions so far, it sounds as though the dedicated night scope won't be the one for me, but rather one of these add ons you have mentioned, that way I keep just the one rifle, and have the option of fitting onto my .22 as well.

So after narrowing that down, I now need to narrow what add on unit I am looking for, and the sort of costs I should be expecting to pay.

I must stress that using it on the .22 is not a must, it's really only the r10 that I want to get fitted out at present.

Thanks for everything so far.

Rob.

I probably should add, I am a bit of a tackle tart and would like to find the best unit possible, I do have a reasonable budget to spend on the right one.

Go for nite hunters snipercam then mate its the best add on you will get for your money

Ok, we'll thanks for all the advice, I have made a purchase, albeit second hand from a member on here.

I have. Gone for a pulsar challenger with a n1000.

The deciding factor is, a mate I sometimes go out with has said he will give me the price I paid if I don't like it! Result, but I am hoping I get on with it and am finally sorted.

Thanks for taking the time and patience to help me. I will update what I think on Wednesday, as I have a ratting sash booked in now, yay.

Regards, rob.

Edited by Rabid