L200 Or Ford Fanger/ B2500

Hi,

Im looking to buy a pick up in a few months and have narrowed the search down to an L200
or a b2500/Ranger.

I prefer the L200 due to the 4x4 system and centre diff but what are the engines
like, are they reliable? I have read allot about failures on the Pajero, is this the same engine?

My mechanic has recommended the B2500 over the L200 due to its simplicity and old fashion
diesel technology.
But would appreciate any feedback on either of the motors!

Will be spending around 3.5k

Thanks

J

I would recommend L200.

I have had a 2 pajeros a 93 that was stolen on me and I now have a 96.

Been using them for 6 years.

There are 2 main issues with the engines. First is the heads go. It's not due to any weakness in the heads but lack of proper servicing of the cooling system. Second is the diesel pump on the 2800 engines. I have repaired the pump on my 2800. Cost me 20 for the seals and about a day to do in my driveway.

I know a lot of Pajero owners who have only good things to say about them and I know 2 people who've owned ford rangers and hate them.

The main difference between L200 and Paj is the rear suspension. Leaf spring live axle in L200 and independent coils in Pajero. Both machines are excellent off-road and on.

MPG around 25.

I have just ordered a new l200 barbarian. Hope to have it May. :)

If your only spending 3.5k I would go for the ranger as it will buy you a better example.

Ive had 5 mitsubishis and never had a breakdown but Ive never paid less than 12k for one and they were the newer shape.

But I know a few lads who go stalking on the Scotish borders and the keeper up their has a ranger and my mates told me it went over the moor better than a defender and coped with the massive mud ruts like you wouldnt believe.

Only problem is ground clearence is a bit low on them but I hear more about old mitsubishi problems than a ford.

Ive seen some mint rangers for as little as 7k

Biggest problem with the old l2oo is steering lock is crap the newer one has a better rack but my l200 rack had to be replaced they are weak, and it had hardly even been offroad.

Edited by engraver

I have had three L200s and i cannot fault their off road performance,but i found that i wa only gettng about 18 to 20 mpg.Just got a ranger and that is doing 25 pushing 30 mpg and seems pretty good off road too,although i havent had cause to test it properly yet,but it does seem more comfortable on and off road,hope this helps.ATB

Personally i prefer l200 in looks and find they more comfortable and spacious but fuel wise ranger just too put it in the mix have you considered a isuzu tf pick up cracking off road comfortable not to dated looking on the inside and price wise you will get a good one/model for your money go for 2.8/3.0 engine better of the 3 also grey import model have a few extras at no extra cost usually

• Like 1

I have a 2003 L200 it returns 28/ 30 mpg on a long run if you push it over 3000 revs you start to use more fuel drive craefully and its fine . Great of road ive driven ploughed fields a few times deep snow etc no problems ,good load space its a good all round work horse and its comfortable enough . Its now done 146000 miles ,i change the oil every 6000 and grease gun it twice a year so far so good. The only drawback is the turning circle it takes a bit off geting used to but as thats the only negative point it seems to do everything i need.

L200 are good vehicles, but as mentioned before they need servicing reguraly otherwise they do go wrong, about to do a engine change on a 04 plate. Can't say much on Ford Ranger as from what I heard from others good vehicles. The B series always seems appealing to me, but they so hard to come by, especially decent ones.

Good luck in your search :thumbs:

Edited by roo_tastic86

2002 mazda b2500 4x4 here double cab with 120k on, used it for a couple of years now, do the oil & filters every 7-9k & never let me down with 34/36mpg diesel . just got to be a bot light footed on the set off or the back does a pink panther on you haahah, it needs some weight in the back. :icon_eek: