You guys know what these dogs are like, if given the chance. Ive still got old Bud who is often described as a pack of hounds in 1 dog lol

i gifted rumour and he was an exceptional fox dog,that dog never failed to find or kill fox almost on daily basis,and sometimes in numbers

I saw him hunt up 5 foxes and kill 3 of them at 11yrs old while 4 other lurchers didnt even know what was happening.I was just pleased my bitch had a couple that day or i would have been as gutted as the other lads out that day.

Sound like the sort of muts im on aboot, good stuff.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you know what makes a good fox dog worthy of the 'title'   My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running ou

He was a decent fox dog - on the lamp and through the day - a little fractious with terriers tho and he got worse as he got older...killed his last fox at 10 years old - and was dead within weeks af

One of the best fox dogs I ever had was a big ex-flapping fawn greyhound bitch - got her from a local greyhound man away back in the early 80s with a view to breeding 1st x collie x greys...she never

Posted Images

I think you know what makes a good fox dog worthy of the 'title'

My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running out on the beam even if quarry is unsighted trusting that there is quarry down the beam. I like a dog that will go beyond the beam on the brush of a fox into the dark, as many foxes are caught other side of hill or hedge for example, so a dog that turns back as soon as quarry leaves view of lamp is not much use to me.

Hunt open hill and forest all day, finding fox using its nose, so for me nose is very important. Must jump well, and be sensible enough over rocks and crags not to cripple itself.

Check holes and mark positively, be bombproof with terriers and livestock.

Kill quickly and humanely with no fuss, and no turning away from teeth, ie straight in.

you don't want much then ? :thumbs:

What he has said isnt asking the impossible.

true, but its the exception rather than the rule IMO

Its no exception.... just KEEN dogs, with a good nose, (and some brains) is all

i must be mixing in the wrong circles!

what cross has been your preference over the years.

Good lurcher x good lurcher is what I prefer.

I keepered mile after mile of hill ground, empty barren land, that if a keen lurcher wants to catch game, IT HAS TO USE ITS NOSE, otherwise it would see f**k all.

My lampers were fecking nuts mate, and far from everyones cup of tea, they would redily f**k off if charlie did, but this leads to bonus kills as well as marks to ground. So all good from a pest control point of view. Back then I was catching 100+ a season with the lurchers/terriers and bushing pack.

Nowadays I just bag the odd bunny for the pot haha

did you like a bit of bull in there for sharpness? or was it colie/deerhound types? - sounds like you had good times

Most well bred bull lurchers posses awesome nose if allowed to use it, coupled with prey drive thats through the roof. All they need to back this up is stamina, decent feet, speed, and brains.

They were really good times mate, I miss those times a lot, but hey ho life goes on.

The best daytime fox dog i ever saw was a first x bull/grey called Rumour he was a half brother to the Punch dog. I saw him work when he was 11years old and he impressed me that much that i bred him to my bitch as soon as she came in season.

like i said, 1 x bull x grey from proper stuff doing( lot) of fox control you wont beat them :yes:

I think you know what makes a good fox dog worthy of the 'title'

My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running out on the beam even if quarry is unsighted trusting that there is quarry down the beam. I like a dog that will go beyond the beam on the brush of a fox into the dark, as many foxes are caught other side of hill or hedge for example, so a dog that turns back as soon as quarry leaves view of lamp is not much use to me.

Hunt open hill and forest all day, finding fox using its nose, so for me nose is very important. Must jump well, and be sensible enough over rocks and crags not to cripple itself.

Check holes and mark positively, be bombproof with terriers and livestock.

Kill quickly and humanely with no fuss, and no turning away from teeth, ie straight in.

you don't want much then ? :thumbs:

What he has said isnt asking the impossible.

true, but its the exception rather than the rule IMO

Its no exception.... just KEEN dogs, with a good nose, (and some brains) is all

i must be mixing in the wrong circles!

what cross has been your preference over the years.

Good lurcher x good lurcher is what I prefer.

I keepered mile after mile of hill ground, empty barren land, that if a keen lurcher wants to catch game, IT HAS TO USE ITS NOSE, otherwise it would see f**k all.

My lampers were fecking nuts mate, and far from everyones cup of tea, they would redily f**k off if charlie did, but this leads to bonus kills as well as marks to ground. So all good from a pest control point of view. Back then I was catching 100+ a season with the lurchers/terriers and bushing pack.

Nowadays I just bag the odd bunny for the pot haha

If these shores have any of these 'of pedigree unknown' dogs left that are still capable of taking large gear regular, please let me know.... ;)

you wont beat a pointer x grey hard as nails

Seen a few that were decent. Hunted moors really well, found and killed fine...

I own pure wirehair pointers.

But for an out n out vermin muncher, bull cross are in my opinion, top of the tree. Their coat is sometimes too thin though, the ammount of days weve put one to ground, and my bull lurchers have had to sit about in the shittest weather, makes for a sorry sight lol until charlie bolted anyway!

you wont beat a pointer x grey hard as nails

Seen a few that were decent. Hunted moors really well, found and killed fine...

I own pure wirehair pointers.

But for an out n out vermin muncher, bull cross are in my opinion, top of the tree. Their coat is sometimes too thin though, the ammount of days weve put one to ground, and my bull lurchers have had to sit about in the shittest weather, makes for a sorry sight lol until charlie bolted anyway!

have you/would you use your pure wireheads on a greyhound?

also do they do a good job of hunting/flushing fox themselves?

always liked the look of them

Mate, they are born hunters. And will litterally hunt anything or everything you want them too from partridge to bear. Easy trained, easy going dogs too. I wouldnt go near a pure greyhound personally but Id consider a good lurcher over pointer. The first gen might be sluggish, but back to lurcher these would be the business I reckon.

Im doing more with wild boar abroad in the future, so bull lurcher over pointer would do the trick nicely for them as well as fox, and vermin.

Just thoughts at the minute though :thumbs:

Mate, they are born hunters. And will litterally hunt anything or everything you want them too from partridge to bear. Easy trained, easy going dogs too. I wouldnt go near a pure greyhound personally but Id consider a good lurcher over pointer. The first gen might be sluggish, but back to lurcher these would be the business I reckon.

Im doing more with wild boar abroad in the future, so bull lurcher over pointer would do the trick nicely for them as well as fox, and vermin.

Just thoughts at the minute though :thumbs:

yes evertything i have heard about them matches what you say.

lurcher x GWP would be good, i know of one, heavy but good nose and tough, hardy type.

bull cross X gwp sounds good, not as good as wheaten x GWP though ......................... :thumbs:

• Like 1