• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you know what makes a good fox dog worthy of the 'title'   My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running ou

He was a decent fox dog - on the lamp and through the day - a little fractious with terriers tho and he got worse as he got older...killed his last fox at 10 years old - and was dead within weeks af

One of the best fox dogs I ever had was a big ex-flapping fawn greyhound bitch - got her from a local greyhound man away back in the early 80s with a view to breeding 1st x collie x greys...she never

Posted Images

I think you know what makes a good fox dog worthy of the 'title'

My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running out on the beam even if quarry is unsighted trusting that there is quarry down the beam. I like a dog that will go beyond the beam on the brush of a fox into the dark, as many foxes are caught other side of hill or hedge for example, so a dog that turns back as soon as quarry leaves view of lamp is not much use to me.

Hunt open hill and forest all day, finding fox using its nose, so for me nose is very important. Must jump well, and be sensible enough over rocks and crags not to cripple itself.

Check holes and mark positively, be bombproof with terriers and livestock.

Kill quickly and humanely with no fuss, and no turning away from teeth, ie straight in.

you don't want much then ? :thumbs:

What he has said isnt asking the impossible.

true, but its the exception rather than the rule IMO

Its no exception.... just KEEN dogs, with a good nose, (and some brains) is all

i must be mixing in the wrong circles!

what cross has been your preference over the years.

Good lurcher x good lurcher is what I prefer.

I keepered mile after mile of hill ground, empty barren land, that if a keen lurcher wants to catch game, IT HAS TO USE ITS NOSE, otherwise it would see f**k all.

My lampers were fecking nuts mate, and far from everyones cup of tea, they would redily f**k off if charlie did, but this leads to bonus kills as well as marks to ground. So all good from a pest control point of view. Back then I was catching 100+ a season with the lurchers/terriers and bushing pack.

Nowadays I just bag the odd bunny for the pot haha

My opinion, for what its worth: The lurcher should be a proficient lamper, following the beam, looking for those eyes... running out on the beam even if quarry is unsighted trusting that there is quarry down the beam. I like a dog that will go beyond the beam on the brush of a fox into the dark, as many foxes are caught other side of hill or hedge for example, so a dog that turns back as soon as quarry leaves view of lamp is not much use to me.

Hunt open hill and forest all day, finding fox using its nose, so for me nose is very important. Must jump well, and be sensible enough over rocks and crags not to cripple itself.

Kill quickly and humanely with no fuss, and no turning away from teeth, ie straight in.

I keepered mile after mile of hill ground, empty barren land, that if a keen lurcher wants to catch game, IT HAS TO USE ITS NOSE, otherwise it would see f**k all.

My lampers were fecking nuts mate, and far from everyones cup of tea, they would redily f**k off if charlie did, but this leads to bonus kills as well as marks to ground. So all good from a pest control point of view. Back then I was catching 100+ a season with the lurchers/terriers and bushing pack.

did you like a bit of bull in there for sharpness? or was it colie/deerhound types? - sounds like you had good times

I have been gifted a beddy cross about a month ago he is 5 yrs old, you have just described him down to a T !!! but he works just as well with the lights off lol he was bought up on foxes and gets a hard on when he see's one when im out with him , up wind of a fox and he can see them 300 yd away on the darkest of knights . cant let him off on our local fields as hes off and wont come back for hours ! thats one reason why i have him now .

edited to say.... just incase its not clear, i do not hunt foxes with my dogs and i travel several miles to exersize them each day on my permision where its free from foxes.

i'l bring him down one night jack and run him with you .

Edited by sam4530s

And an owner that is going to work them in as many situations as possible as often as possible.

And an owner that is going to work them in as many situations as possible as often as possible.

good point, you do need to put the time in to get a jack of all trades type of lurcher

did you like a bit of bull in there for sharpness? or was it colie/deerhound types? - sounds like you had good times

Most well bred bull lurchers posses awesome nose if allowed to use it, coupled with prey drive thats through the roof. All they need to back this up is stamina, decent feet, speed, and brains.

They were really good times mate, I miss those times a lot, but hey ho life goes on.

Most well bred bull lurchers posses awesome nose if allowed to use it, coupled with prey drive thats through the roof. All they need to back this up is stamina, decent feet, speed, and brains.

They were really good times mate, I miss those times a lot, but hey ho life goes on.

The best daytime fox dog i ever saw was a first x bull/grey called Rumour he was a half brother to the Punch dog. I saw him work when he was 11years old and he impressed me that much that i bred him to my bitch as soon as she came in season.

i gifted rumour and he was an exceptional fox dog,that dog never failed to find or kill fox almost on daily basis,and sometimes in numbers

I saw him hunt up 5 foxes and kill 3 of them at 11yrs old while 4 other lurchers didnt even know what was happening.I was just pleased my bitch had a couple that day or i would have been as gutted as the other lads out that day. Edited by downsouth

The best daytime fox dog i ever saw was a first x bull/grey called Rumour he was a half brother to the Punch dog. I saw him work when he was 11years old and he impressed me that much that i bred him to my bitch as soon as she came in season.

did the pups come to anything Downsouth?

I know 3 of them were very good fox lamping bitches but thats all they were really used for whereas the Sire was used a lot for daytime work and i used the Dam as much in the daytime with the terriers as i did lamping in fact if i was out she was out.