A Cull On The Horizon??

I remember seeing a report on the news,think the first one was in january 2011 then again in jan 2012,saying that the country had the highest deer population for one thousand years,dont think it mentioned any species in particular,but did estimate that around 100,000 deer should be culled annually to manage the situation

• Like 1

Its ok calling for a cull but if you cant get access to the land what can you do,were i live several fairly large farm sold up ,this land mainly went to people who were willing to pay premium money for a few acres , nomally for horses but some just to have the pleasure of owning a bit of land ,small holders etc.Where before the land was farmed & the deer numbers kept to an economically acceptable level the new owners are happy to see a few deer or lots of deer because it has no serious repercutions to them.One of my neighbours bought 30 acres to have as a wildlife haven ,what was a couple of arable fierlds and a managed coppice is now a mess,her plan is to let nature look after itself ,she will not hear of culling deer,foxes,magpies,etc etc...She suffers with Brian May Syndrome of which i'm affraid there is no cure.

There is of course the deer on public land that again for issues of saftey and public opinion would be a very difficult call.How many local councils would stand up to pressure from il informed tree huggers to allow a cull , the very logistics of which would put most of them of the idea .Imagine the Health &Saftey implications ,risk assesment & so on

The mess that is the badger cull is a prime example ........The answer to the problem is...............................................................????

• Like 1

Was it the mar lodge up here that couldn't get the numbers they wanted down to 1.2 red deer a hectare so applied for a extension to shoot 500 extra out of season all the neighbors are up in arms as they have paying guests and killing that amount would leave them struggling till the vacuums filled again

they were ordered to cull a silly number and they were granted an extension to do so, mar lodge is a winter grazing area that pulls in big numbers over winter when the better weather came in and the deer dispersed again the neighboring estates struggled.

snh ordered them to cull 700 last month and they have refused to do so, it will be interesting to see what comes of it

Its a very emotive issue that's for sure.

What the likes of Bryant and May or is that Swan Vestas dont realize is if considerable numbers of deer are present in any given area they will consume all the vegetation that's edible until they are in a situation that the environment will not sustain them and they become emancipated and ill with TB and other diseases. then die agonizing and prolonged deaths, These are individuals who openly proclaim that animals should be left to live a natural life.

Until you have seen the effects of malnutrition through having a greater populous of deer on the ground than what it can sustain then , these people ill conceived views will always remain.

Sad really that their ideas and beliefs are in effect creating the situation that they are so strongly against in the first place.

Deer and all wildlife have to be controlled by man to sustain a balance for all to exist healthily be it mammal ,bird, reptile ,fungi and fauna. fish

Stuart

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 5

yep, truth is that our little island is so intensively inhabited and managed that there are very few truly wild places left where "nature can take its course". add the fact that all the large predators have been exterminated (wolves, bears, lynx) and you have a situation where deer numbers have to simply be managed or starve. plus the devastating long term effects that they can have on the environment where numbers are too high.

but realistically, the chances of anybody actually taking decisive action and ordering a cull of huge proportions, are virtually zero. what a mess

• Like 2

When they cant get around to agreeing on a control plan for f***ing badgers the chances of getting one arranged for deer is extremely slim. After all its got nothing to do with how many deer die from malnutrition or destroy habitat of ground nesting birds, all that matters is how many tree huggers "like to watch them out of there window". The country is run by city folk who wouldn't no a deer if it kicked them in the face!

• Like 2

Plenty of land this way if they need more space, is not what this is about. I drive around a few 1000's acre a day, if the pastures were seen with deer, boar or any wild life for that matter, it make a more enjoyable day , rather than almost bare fields,pastures with limited numbers . I know the deer etc are there, some good size herds & groups. Our best bet is shift a few unwanted out of the country , deport the unacceptable, unemployable ,unskilled migrants & leave the beauty of the countryside alone :thumbs: & make more habitat for our resident mammals. Not wipe it out for building use , that needs constant council up keep, from low life. dar di dar di darrrrr

Media BS again !! :whistling:

Its ok calling for a cull but if you cant get access to the land what can you do,were i live several fairly large farm sold up ,this land mainly went to people who were willing to pay premium money for a few acres , nomally for horses but some just to have the pleasure of owning a bit of land ,small holders etc.Where before the land was farmed & the deer numbers kept to an economically acceptable level the new owners are happy to see a few deer or lots of deer because it has no serious repercutions to them.One of my neighbours bought 30 acres to have as a wildlife haven ,what was a couple of arable fierlds and a managed coppice is now a mess,her plan is to let nature look after itself ,she will not hear of culling deer,foxes,magpies,etc etc...She suffers with Brian May Syndrome of which i'm affraid there is no cure.

There is of course the deer on public land that again for issues of saftey and public opinion would be a very difficult call.How many local councils would stand up to pressure from il informed tree huggers to allow a cull , the very logistics of which would put most of them of the idea .Imagine the Health &Saftey implications ,risk assesment & so on

The mess that is the badger cull is a prime example ........The answer to the problem is...............................................................????

The bit that confuses me is the highlighted bit. I dont know how they think its going to be feasible to remove that many deer even if you had sufficient stalkers which I am not sure there are, there are too many bits of land to which they have no access

• Like 1

thats a good point lapin, just how many stalkers would be required to carry out such a cull? i would suggest that anybody currently carrying out deer control for a living has sufficient to do that they have little spare time to increase their numbers, and that leaves us part-time and amateur stalkers. i for one devote as much of my free time as i can to various fieldsports, so unless the government was going to pay me an equivalent salary to quit my job and shoot deer full-time (plus thousands of others ) it aint happening. so where does that leave us, either create jobs for the unemployed and turn em loose in the countryside with 243 rifles with the brief to shoot as many deer as they can, or send in the troops, SA80 rifles and all, to do the job.

at a time of so many cuts to public spending i cant see any public money being put into a politically suicidal project like this

Thats my point, A full time stalker I did some accompanied stalking with a while back, is out 100-150 odd days a year (if i remember rightly!) with clients sometimes at both dusk and dawn, and maintains a living out of this but only has 15,000 acres permission over multiple farms. If one man can be out that much on such a relatively small piece of the UK I dont see how they can hope to get the numbers they want. Admittedly he is maintaining a healthy set of herds and not going for numbers but still..

From what I've seen and heard on this, the destruction of the landscape and denegration of food sources, which uncontrolled deer numbers undoubtedly cause, is not the main concern of whichever faceless pillock dreamed up this non-story. Most of the debate has centred around the damage caused to vehicles, in collisions with deer. Bearing in mind the calamity and public opposition surrounding the badger cull, good luck to them on organising a cull of Bambi and his Mum because a few cars got dented !!