End Of Season

Hi all probably a daft question but when is your last day of the season this is my first season so not 100% but a bloke i go with will go untill the end of this month but will probably let most go again for another season hopefully unless they get shot by the easy trigger pulling people but just some advice

i also read in another post about people digging through the summer months this obviously ruins it for next season but can you not dig to them through the year and let them go? just wondering what you do with your dogs otherwise

It depends on your morals or ethics,vixens will be having cubs soon if some havent already.If you are comfortable killing next years sport crack on,but dont start moaning when there is a shortage of foxes later on.All creatures need time to breed and flourish,you say you are new to this,take some time to watch foxes and study their habits,time taken doing this will make you a better hunter and give you some respect for your chosen quarry.On the question of what to do with your dogs during the summer,shows are a lot of fun!!!

• Like 4

Totally agree with you,everything has a season in my mind.Many years ago a shooting man asked me if i would go and dig some cubs for him as they were in an area that he shot for pheasent,i said no and he actually got a bit strappy over it saying it was my job to do this as i kept terriers.This was in the month of may so i said no prob but can we go shoot a couple of pheasents 1st,he looked at me puzzeled and said,but pheasent season finished end of january,he then realized what i meant and said,now i see you also have a season for foxs,i replied yes.

• Like 5

sunday is my last day, as said it gives the dogs time to rest and recharge their battries so to say. shows are a tidy way to meet new people and catch up with old friends aslong as your not just in it for the red ribbons that is atb d4g

Good question!!!I assume you mean,showing your dogs,with a few scars?

I would avoid parading around with something too disfigured,although i have seen terriers minus noses and lower jaws being shown ,these must have been old dogs that sustained these injuries pre ban!!

On this subject,i have found that a judge at a working terrier show will often give preferance to a dog which has signs of work to a dog which has never seen any action.This can be misplaced because i know terriers that you can work day in day out,and because they dont mix it have no scars ,but they are valuable workers.The flip side is the dog that goes to ground once gets beaten up,has a face full of "medals"and is reluctant face its quarry again.Which one would the judge pick?

Good question!!!I assume you mean,showing your dogs,with a few scars? I would avoid parading around with something too disfigured,although i have seen terriers minus noses and lower jaws being shown ,these must have been old dogs that sustained these injuries pre ban!! On this subject,i have found that a judge at a working terrier show will often give preferance to a dog which has signs of work to a dog which has never seen any action.This can be misplaced because i know terriers that you can work day in day out,and because they dont mix it have no scars ,but they are valuable workers.The flip side is the dog that goes to ground once gets beaten up,has a face full of "medals"and is reluctant face its quarry again.Which one would the judge pick?

a judge on the day can only pick a dog on what the handler tells him and how the dog looks and i found that most judges will pick a dog thats pleasing to them and what they would keep in there kennell . the only way a person can judge the working ability of a dog is to watch it working and not just for one day a dog earns the title worker over many seasons shows are a good way to pass the summer months meet up have a chat drink a few beers in the sunshine and not to be taken to serious but i ve noticed over the past few years that there s folk who actually cant wait for winter to be over so they can get to shows to compete in lurcher racing terrier shows etc and there dogs will not of hardly been out during the winter months this is very sad very sad indeed and these people are only helping to push the honest working terrier and lurcher further down the slippery slope there already on !

• Like 1

anyone who digs for sport should be finished by now.

cubs are born by now and a terrier could wipe out a full litter in a few minutes. not great for your future sport.

start a little earlier if u want a longer season when the cubs are big . but in my opinion the middle of feb should be time to quit

• Like 3

i will agree with dev on this.. all the old school would have quit by now and the new starts will hunt all year round im afraid and talk about their good terriers and what they dug last week at the shows