Chicken Bones And Pork And Rabbit Guts

Chicken bones splinter if they have been cooked in the oven ... Raw or boiled is fine ... Pork used to carry a disease called trichinosis that is a type of parasitic round worm but that is all but history now with today's cleaner methods of pork rearing .... And yes the dog will have more of a chance of getting worms from eating rabbit guts ... Why anybody wants to feed rabbit guts to a dog though is beyond me ...........

• Like 4

Someone else also told me that if your feeding dry biscuit than u have to soak it in water first otherwise it will soak up water from the dog and dehydrate it, which is no good for running dog, is this true?

That is true the biscuits will expand in the dogs gut for a short time before the stomach acids break it down ...........

• Like 1

Regarding the biscuits. Biscuits that take on water and expand are full of grain products, hence the reason they expand, some have as little as 3% meat in them...even that is meat derivative...ie all the sinew etc. Research some of the popular brands and you will think twice about feeding them your dog.

Also the chances of worm from pork etc is minimal....dont forget to worm your dogs with a vet supplied worming tablet even if you dont feed raw meat.

Edited by chickenman
  • Like 2

Freeze rabbit/game etc prior to feeding which kills the worm cysts, this avoids having to worm to often. I skin and gut then freeze for a week or so and rarely need to worm the dogs whilst feeding a fair amount of game.

Dried food expands as its dried, it happens whatever the food be dried meat or biscuit or whatever. You dont need to soak as long as the dog has access to drinking water so it can drink what it needs.

Raw bones are usually ok although most people avoid weight bearing ones ie leg bones of larger animals such a sheep etc. There are risks with feeding bones, trauma to the gastric tract, bowel impaction etc but then there are risks to everything so its down to personal choice and being sensible about amounts.

• Like 1

We mince up the chicken carcasses and feed them that way but there faeces where coming out like marbles and i sometimes give them a whole carcasses to keep them amused but the lab seemed to have stomach problems with that maybe because shes such a greedy dog and woolfs all her grub down . i wouldn't worry about worms in meat with todays wormers that are available . And i feed dry them soak it in gravy for a bit of a change

• Like 1

We mince up the chicken carcasses and feed them that way but there faeces where coming out like marbles and i sometimes give them a whole carcasses to keep them amused but the lab seemed to have stomach problems with that maybe because shes such a greedy dog and woolfs all her grub down . i wouldn't worry about worms in meat with todays wormers that are available . And i feed dry them soak it in gravy for a bit of a change

yeah I've got a beagle like that, gave her ribs yesterday she swallowed em in one go, managed 3 before I could take em off her lol atb