i have recently been asked by quite a few farmers that i have permission off if i control starlings. due to the new tub mixers for feed, all the feed comes loose so the starlings are having a good feast on the farmers expense. they have tried to protect it with netting around the sheds but they manage to find a way in. Are starlings on the pest list in wales? i have looked up previous posts but they are all a couple of years old and don't really say much about wales just england and scotland. thanks

• Like 1

i have recently been asked by quite a few farmers that i have permission off if i control starlings. due to the new tub mixers for feed, all the feed comes loose so the starlings are having a good feast on the farmers expense. they have tried to protect it with netting around the sheds but they manage to find a way in. Are starlings on the pest list in wales? i have looked up previous posts but they are all a couple of years old and don't really say much about wales just england and scotland. thanks

starlings are no longer covered by the general license so you would need to apply to defra or who ever issues license`s these days

Rhys; Your farmer friends really do need come out of the dark ages ;)

I'd suggest they put up nest boxes for the starlings. Encourage them to breed themselves stupid.

I live in livestock farming country too. All my neighbors are farming people. And I'm running myself ragged trying to keep up with the demand for my starling nest boxes.

• Like 3

Rhys; Your farmer friends really do need come out of the dark ages ;)

I'd suggest they put up nest boxes for the starlings. Encourage them to breed themselves stupid.

I live in livestock farming country too. All my neighbors are farming people. And I'm running myself ragged trying to keep up with the demand for my starling nest boxes.

Is there any chance i could have some plans or pics of the nest boxes you make? thanks

Rhys; I've just found this a little late in the course of my day (beer.gif) Tomorrow though, I can get you chapter and verse on my boxes. Before I do however; I'm curious as to what you intend to do next.

All i can do now is tell the farmers that without a licence i cannot do anything with the birds. They will have to look for alternatives and find other ways to stop then getting at the feed.

Although nobody could deny that starlings are in serious decline, there are pockets of high populations that are causing problems.

I've recently been involved with a large dairy enterprise that had a huge problem with starlings coming in to feed on the cattle feed. The cows themselves were covered in guano, and the (now very expensive) ration that the cows were supposed to be eating was so contaminated that it was unpalatable.

The solution in this case, was to employ are variety of scaring devices, some of which were very expensive. It hasn't cured the problem, but it certainly seems to have helped.

It is frustrating when clouds of starlings are feeding in the area trying to explain that as a species they are in decline and can no longer be shot; especially when you know that shooting a few out of the packs would deter them better than any loudspeaker emitting distress calls.