From 5 Shot To 3 Shot Autos

hi guys and girls i was thinking this morning and drifted of to when i was younger when we used to go shooting down the fields from where we lived taking my friends 5 shot semi auto Franchi this was an absolutly brilliant gun giving you that extra edge on the game especially in fields full of rabbit and pigeon.

what i really really dont understand is why they reduced it from 5 to 3 shot it really makes no sence what so ever i believe this was reduced due to idiots miss using them

So why punish the dedicated and serious shooter and Hunter, which it seems they have and did.

But why remove 2 cartriges when it seems so pointless surely damage could be done just as bad with 3 as it could with 5 or even 2 o/u s/s

Why not just limit the or guven the people using them, rather than remove the extra 2 cartriges that gave the true hunter the edge on his game.

It seems so bloody pointless to the true hunter as to why pass a law such as this.

surely an over and under or side by side would have the same effect in the wrong hands as would 5 shots.

I think they should reverse this law and have the autos replaced once again with the 5 shots which made them an absolutly brilliant game gun.

openseason

There is already another thread re this, but why should a "true hunter" need a semi auto 5 shot for pigeons and rabbits?

I can sort of understand it for bolting foxes from a rock den when there maybe multiple animals and they are running behind other rocks at speed.

I remember the Hungerford incident years ago, sad incident through one stupid idiot.

I agree Hawkeye this is true from your point of view lol

The point i was making is opertunity

The thing is in a field full of Rabbits like the days of old when they was full of rabbits this is where the auto comes into its own especially the 5 shot as you had fired your o/u or s/s and may be got your self a rabbit as you load your gun again the 5 shot auto has rattled off its 5 shots and possibly got 3 rabbits in the pot or even 5 lol so as you load your gun head down fiddling with the cartriges the auto user could rattle off the 5 shots or 3 at the bolting rabbits while the 2 shot user has missed his opertunity lol

But i take your point of view.

THATS TRUE IT IS THE CARTRIGE THAT DOES THE DAMAGE SO WHY RESTRICT IT AT ALL GOOD POINT

It was done as a direct result of Ryan's day of carnage in Hungerford it cost my old man best part of £100 quid to get his Baikal done still killing foxes with it mind you.

What he said. After hungerford, they changed it so you could only have shotguns which could hold 3 cartridges on a normal sgc. So, pump, semi, bolt action... dont matter, can only hold 3 shots.

Not sure why really as i didnt think that shotguns were used in hungerford - i thought it was an ak47?

You can still get permission to use shotguns with bigger mags for pigeons, pests, practical shotgun etc... but classed as a firearms.

hi guys and girls i was thinking this morning and drifted of to when i was younger when we used to go shooting down the fields from where we lived taking my friends 5 shot semi auto Franchi this was an absolutly brilliant gun giving you that extra edge on the game especially in fields full of rabbit and pigeon.

what i really really dont understand is why they reduced it from 5 to 3 shot it really makes no sence what so ever i believe this was reduced due to idiots miss using them

So why punish the dedicated and serious shooter and Hunter, which it seems they have and did.

But why remove 2 cartriges when it seems so pointless surely damage could be done just as bad with 3 as it could with 5 or even 2 o/u s/s

Why not just limit the or guven the people using them, rather than remove the extra 2 cartriges that gave the true hunter the edge on his game.

It seems so bloody pointless to the true hunter as to why pass a law such as this.

surely an over and under or side by side would have the same effect in the wrong hands as would 5 shots.

I think they should reverse this law and have the autos replaced once again with the 5 shots which made them an absolutly brilliant game gun.

openseason

As above, for reasons above ..You get 3 (2+1) they get 10. As a rifle shooter you may have 5, they have 10+ .If things get out of hand & someone flips as above, once you run out , the attending forces are counting & 'bang' you out !! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Im the same if you cant kill it with two shots let it go ,and ive shot loads of pigeons decoying and bolting rabbits and honestly never felt the need for a third shot

3 is good 5 is better, i have emptied my 5 on a fox before from about 30 yards and he still ran another 20 yards, true iam a crap shot but if i had only had 3 he may have gone away and died a horrible death, not that being blasted with 5 shots of BB`s in nice!!!!!

I also once saw a fox flushed on a shoot, it ran across the guns and they all had a pop at it and i recon half of them hit it, but it still made it off the field.

I fully understand that there are those dead eye dick`s that never have a bad day and always kill on the first shot, but some of us are not super hero`s or born snipers and having a few up the pipe to fall back on cant be a bad thing.