Choice Of Ammunition

Also depends on the distance your shooting as alot of rubbish spoken about flat shooting bullets, just because a bullet is small doesnt mean it is flat shooting! Does it really matter if a bullet drops a midges nadger at normal shooting distances?? Also if you are long range shooting a heavy bullet will be flatter than a lighter bullet.

Edited by chickenman
  • Like 1

I've just purchased a Winchester model 70 .243 super short and haven't had time to try it with different loads yet. I bought it mainly for my young son but I'll use it myself some as well. We'll be hunting deer mainly. I've looked over balistic charts for this one some and hope to try it out soon at the range. Just wanted to have any advice from some with more experience than myself. I've always used a Marlin 30-30 til now and limited my shots to about 120 yards. With this .243 we'll be shooting up to about 250 yards (maybe 300 after I know it really well). Based on chart data I'm favoring an 85 or 90 grain bullet but I wanted to see if anyone advised otherwise based on their experience. I want all the edge I can get for a good humane shot the first time we use it on game instead of targets.

I've just purchased a Winchester model 70 .243 super short and haven't had time to try it with different loads yet. I bought it mainly for my young son but I'll use it myself some as well. We'll be hunting deer mainly. I've looked over balistic charts for this one some and hope to try it out soon at the range. Just wanted to have any advice from some with more experience than myself. I've always used a Marlin 30-30 til now and limited my shots to about 120 yards. With this .243 we'll be shooting up to about 250 yards (maybe 300 after I know it really well). Based on chart data I'm favoring an 85 or 90 grain bullet but I wanted to see if anyone advised otherwise based on their experience. I want all the edge I can get for a good humane shot the first time we use it on game instead of targets.

Hi Art

I cannot advise based on experience as I am a novice, but there is an informative 243 bullet choice youtube video here --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsi0WFdbR5A

Andrew

You will have to check the rifle out proper there's no easy route,you need to know the twist rate,and everything,I have had three 243,rifles in years gone by and all have been different, but most have favoured a 85 grn bullet on 40 grn of vito viori 140 for deer they were deadly,and 75 grn hollow point with same powder for foxes, again flat and deadly,with real good groups,however none of my 243's have ever shot acceptable groups with 100 grn bullets bought or reloaded dispite having the right twist rate,the 243 is a superb round,but do your home work and map it with different rounds,once you have done that you wont look back,