Larson Trap Advice

Hi guys,

I've had a Larson trap out in the garden for nearly a week now with no success. I'm trying to catch a call bird before I set up somewhere else. I've been using the fake nest with 2 eggs in it ( 1 broken). There are loads of magpies knocking around but none going near the trap.

Any tips would be great

Jimmy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?  Im a 43

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel....

Somebody says a mirror works

I'm in the gun club but no one really knows much about trapping as far as I can see. Myself and my young fella are running 5 mink traps aswell. They are going a bit better. The club secretary contacted the local game council to see about a call bird but as of yet we have heard nothing.

Carlow,

What are you using for bait?

Toby will try that tomorrow or would I be aswell off doing it tonight?

Here's what I do, usually around Easter time.

I put the cage out near to a hedge or somewhere that there is a bit of cover. I make a nest up right in the outside corner of the catch cage furthest out from the hedge, but leave the trap door shut so they can't get in..

After a day or maybe two, and after dark, I extend the fake nest outside the cage so it looks like it's all one nest. Break and egg and place half outside, half inside, right next to each other either side of the mesh. The effect is to look like a single nest with one broken egg in it. I then set the trap.

What usually happens is that eating the egg outside gives them the confidence to go inside for the other half.

No guarantees, but it usually works for me.

Not realy logun..if you leave the trap open it need's checking regular thus spooking anything in the area..if you leave it shut or unset for a while or locked open the prey species will get confident without being disturbed twice a day by daily checking..