Springer x Greyhound.

When I had lurchers yeah they missed stuff slipping away while they had their head down but they found stuff sitting tight or following the scent and it  was close by but out of sight in undergrowth so I like to see a dog using all its senses hearing included . I also liked to watch a dogs reaction to working like this and also reading the dogs body language .

• Like 4

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think a dog that uses its nose will find more than one looking for it. But it also depends on what your hunting ground is like. For mooching around like I do a dog using it’s nose is a lo

this question has been asked many times on this forum , there are plenty of answers if you go back through , i think you can type it in and it will find it for you.   but heres a pic of one sire spr

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death i

Posted Images

I'm struggling to see the point of a Spaniel/Greyhound cross.

Too big for a busher, too slow for fast game.

Ive never had trouble with "normal" lurchers using their nose to find their game.

Still, there'll be people who swear by them, and I fully appreciate that,and I'd love to see one working.

Maybe just keep a good working pair, Spaniel AND lurcher ?

IMG_0228.JPG.e8c8f48c2b19d4a65c10d26576e24123.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Ive never had trouble with "normal" lurchers using their nose to find their game.

Still, there'll be people who swear by them, and I fully appreciate that,and I'd love to see one working.

Cheers.

nice tidy set up for dogs,like it a lot,think come spring,will build similar design.

TBH never seen a springer x greyhound but have seen a few springer whippets all of them were very handy easy to live with type of dog's especially the one bred out of the small type springers i owned and bred for 30years and has small type mooching dogs go i would have one over any other whippet cross. I remember over 40years ago some lads from Rotherham brought some springer x whippet pups up from a chap in Hertfordshire called John Wild who rated this cross for bushing and knocking about with bigger lurchers due to a lot of badger setts on the land they hunted.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Totally agree when i was bang at it with the lurchers i would have never even contemplated this cross or a first cross collie greyhound though i always had a springer spaniel for bushing and in some situations working alongside my running dog's.

20190215_192245~2.jpg

• Like 7
54 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

TBH never seen a springer x greyhound but have seen a few springer whippets all of them were very handy easy to live with type of dog's especially the one bred out of the small type springers i owned and bred for 30years and has small type mooching dogs go i would have one over any other whippet cross. I remember over 40years ago some lads from Rotherham brought some springer x whippet pups up from a chap in Hertfordshire called John Wild who rated this cross for bushing and knocking about with bigger lurchers due to a lot of badger setts on the land they hunted.

Any photos mate?

12 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Any photos mate?

Not of these dog's from over 40 years ago i know one was owned by a well known boxer and knuckle merchant from Rotherham at the time and i got to hear the tales of these small hunting type lurchers second hand and how good they were at bushing. I have the odd pic of my mates recent one that he lost the other year but i don't like posting pics of other lads dogs mate without asking first.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Sound handy 

As has been said, I think plenty of lurchers have enough nose to hunt up well. I've had a lurcher that hunted well and was damn fast , great to watch especially following a line in the hills or air scenting a bunny. Lacked prey drive and hell to live with. I've recently had to PTS my cocker patt , he started out well but never had a great interest in rabbit, loved woodcock and pheasant unfortunately gun-shy , occasionally had magic moments but mostly spent his time pissing shitting and fighting . My bitch has come on a bit since he's gone, I liked the idea of a busher but they have to one do their job and two click with the runner. Although my bitch is often on a slip when out on walks with kids and public places , I like the way she hunts always looking , air scenting but head is mostly up, and I prefer that tbh I've watched a fair amount slip out while dogs got head down , or come running past me whilst dogs are off. I got frustrated with the one dog trying to work cover for rabbits normally both of us stuck in it with said rabbit making for the next stronghold or heading to ground. I think land is key , then the game you hunt , I don't think many use thermal daytime, so unless you hunt up in the dark it just provides less disturbance during darkness than a lamp. Not a x that appeals to me tbh, but if a dog can find and catch then why not. I definitely like the terrier blooded lurchers a more simple beast, each to their own....

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

I reckon a big old fashioned tough hard hunting springer like something with badgercourt stamp if you could find one over a big greyhound would produce some real handy lurchers indeed..

• Like 1
On 14/01/2022 at 18:54, Benjithesalukicocker said:

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death if you didn’t stop him.  Great dog but not amazing with other dogs. 

A61639AC-7B31-455A-B68B-9E480EDFBC3B.jpeg

Crackin lookin dof some chest on him I remember Nero getting to one of his cockers turned out a better stamp than expected bet they could hunt all day every day 

9 hours ago, dodger said:

I reckon a big old fashioned tough hard hunting springer like something with badgercourt stamp if you could find one over a big greyhound would produce some real handy lurchers indeed..

Only one i ever read about was one apparently owned by Don Southerd according to Plummer in one of his books. The whippet/springer my mate had he put her to a whippet/grey/bedlington and kept a small rough haired bitch that has plenty of stamina and a natural retrieving instinct and hunting ability. TBH if it came to a choice of a springer x it would be that of a whippet for a small type mooching dog.

• Like 1