Springer x Greyhound.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think a dog that uses its nose will find more than one looking for it. But it also depends on what your hunting ground is like. For mooching around like I do a dog using it’s nose is a lo

this question has been asked many times on this forum , there are plenty of answers if you go back through , i think you can type it in and it will find it for you.   but heres a pic of one sire spr

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death i

Posted Images

4 hours ago, gnipper said:

She had working ability and if she wasn't so loopy she would have made a decent little dog but she was bloody hard work.

She looks a lot like the two I've seen,both were  hypo types,the dog was a harder type than I imagined from a spaniel cross but I haven't had anything to do with Brittanies.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 18:54, Benjithesalukicocker said:

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death if you didn’t stop him.  Great dog but not amazing with other dogs. 

A61639AC-7B31-455A-B68B-9E480EDFBC3B.jpeg

Is that out of Nero ? I’m sure he got over the owners spaniel by accident once ? 

On 14/01/2022 at 18:54, Benjithesalukicocker said:

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death if you didn’t stop him.  Great dog but not amazing with other dogs. 

A61639AC-7B31-455A-B68B-9E480EDFBC3B.jpeg

Has your friend's greyhound only got three leg's ? ? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Woman who lives in my village has a Springer X Bull Whippet.

If you didn't know, you'd think it was the nicest bull whippety Lurcher you'd ever seen.

A jet black, sleek but strong, force of nature... It's a fecking machine.

Now this woman is no huntress but with her Lurcher and her show Cocker she walks for miles local, face glued to her phone and those dogs search, at full speed, like no lurcher I've ever seen before.

Ain't worth a walk if she's been out before you. And believe me that Lurcher puts away a serious amount of faster critters each month. To which she is totally uninterested. To her, they are simply doing what they were born to do whilst getting some serious exercise...

I'm not sure about this. Wouldn't a dog which always has its nose down miss prey which a sight hound would spot immediately? If it did eventually spot prey and give chase, would it be quick enough to catch? In any case sight hounds are not devoid of scenting ability, and tend to be more attracted to fresh scent, whereas a springer can  be attracted to old "dead"scents.  Combining two breeds does not necessarily bring out the best of those breeds in their offspring. It can just as likely bring the worst traits of both breeds to a litter.

I would love to be proved wrong though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Woman who lives in my village has a Springer X Bull Whippet.

If you didn't know, you'd think it was the nicest bull whippety Lurcher you'd ever seen.

A jet black, sleek but strong, force of nature... It's a fecking machine.

Now this woman is no huntress but with her Lurcher and her show Cocker she walks for miles local, face glued to her phone and those dogs search, at full speed, like no lurcher I've ever seen before.

Ain't worth a walk if she's been out before you. And believe me that Lurcher puts away a serious amount of faster critters each month. To which she is totally uninterested. To her, they are simply doing what they were born to do whilst getting some serious exercise...

There's a good sort that walks a saluki bull grey bitch and that's a absolute waste chasing a tennis ball im sure you would give this bitch a spin Paul I have offered to buy her reminds me of a 5/8 3/8 ths nice strong head and chest  long backed thing it breaks me watching her chasing a ball I bet she could do a decent job 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I'm not sure about this. Wouldn't a dog which always has its nose down miss prey which a sight hound would spot immediately? If it did eventually spot prey and give chase, would it be quick enough to catch? In any case sight hounds are not devoid of scenting ability, and tend to be more attracted to fresh scent, whereas a springer can  be attracted to old "dead"scents.  Combining two breeds does not necessarily bring out the best of those breeds in their offspring. It can just as likely bring the worst traits of both breeds to a litter.

I would love to be proved wrong though.

I personally think a dog that uses its nose will find more than one looking for it. But it also depends on what your hunting ground is like. For mooching around like I do a dog using it’s nose is a lot more beneficial and great to watch. Also a dog given the chance to hunt and not walked 20 miles on a slip will end using its nose and it eyes and you don’t need to pay a fortune for a thermal imager.

As for combining two different breeds yes there is chance of getting the worst traits but there’s equally a good chance of getting the best. Thank goodness people looked towards the positive outcome in the past or I guess we wouldn’t have Lurchers at all.

However thats just my take on things. 

• Like 13