Springer x Greyhound.

I got talking to a guy at the Holkham country fair yesterday about Springer spaniel x Greyhounds. I had to admit that although I have no intention of owning a lurcher of this breeding I would be interested to see how such a cross would turn out as I've never come across one before.

In theory the Springer cross would seem to have all the attributes required of an all-round pot filler so heres the question, do you own or have you owned a Springer x. Maybe you know someone who does, if so how does/did it perform? What did it look like? and do you have any photos?

Like I said I have no intention of owning a lurcher of this breeding I'm happy with what I've got. I've started this thread merely to satisfy my own curiosity. So please put me out of my misery.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think a dog that uses its nose will find more than one looking for it. But it also depends on what your hunting ground is like. For mooching around like I do a dog using it’s nose is a lo

this question has been asked many times on this forum , there are plenty of answers if you go back through , i think you can type it in and it will find it for you.   but heres a pic of one sire spr

This is my saluki/cocker. He’s as quick as my friends pure greyhound and can literally go all day. Can sniff out rabbits underground and had the most ridiculous prey drive. He’d run himself to death i

Posted Images

my uncle had 1 years ago and it was a good trash and mooch dog ,but lamping it was s**t at wanted to hunt up and waste time but every 1 is to there own .my dog i cant fault as it gets to the quarry and dispatches it asap no messing around .dig on

this question has been asked many times on this forum , there are plenty of answers if you go back through , i think you can type it in and it will find it for you.

but heres a pic of one sire springer dam bitsa lurcher unfortunatly she saw no work as she died at about 1 year old. her obediance was excelent , her dummy retrive was excelent and she was marking rabbits to ground at 6 months, but thats as far as i got

pics8001.jpg

pics8002.jpg

pics8003.jpg

• Like 11

there was some brothers near where i live about 5 or 6 years ago who bred there own strain of lurchers springer cross whippet and greyhound the average height was dogs 24 tts and bitches 23 tts nearly about 90% were black the other 10% were black and white they very good at ferreting but were excellent at lamping often catching over twenty rabbits per dog per night hope this is helpful cheers :thumbs:

My first lurcher when I was a kid 30+ years ago was a first cross springer/whippet.

It was way too slow for rabbits in the open, but was a fantastic ferreting companion, second to none.

A Greyhound cross would bring the speed up and IMHO would make a good rabbit dog but no better than a collie or some of the more traditional crosses.

Hi I picked the ad-mag up last Friday and there alsorts of crosses one was a SpringerDoodle Springer x Poodle £450 :wallbash::wallbash: ITS A MONGREL FOR GOD SAKE.

Or is this the fasion??

if so has anyone got a Doberman for my Bedlington??

Well make a fortune on Doberbeds :drink:

Edited by pidge
  • 12 years later...
On 22/07/2007 at 16:34, TOMO said:

this question has been asked many times on this forum , there are plenty of answers if you go back through , i think you can type it in and it will find it for you.

but heres a pic of one sire springer dam bitsa lurcher unfortunatly she saw no work as she died at about 1 year old. her obediance was excelent , her dummy retrive was excelent and she was marking rabbits to ground at 6 months, but thats as far as i got

pics8001.jpg

pics8002.jpg

pics8003.jpg

Very smart , love the build and structure of the dog

• Like 2