Another Evening Stalk,another Barn Owl

Cold easterly wind,same stalking partner, same small permisson.Out this evening with my old mate he was going to the same seat where he shot a doe last friday , i was going to the same seat i had been in. As we split up he took the newly cut firebreak down and right through the wood to the bottom left hand corner , i carried on to come out top right of the paddock,as i glassed the wood on the oposite side tucked in the bottom left hand corner several deer milled around just on the wood edge,a couple of prickets layed almost invisable against the wood.There was no shot,no backstop but the wood ,no 100% clear shot with bits of twig & bracken between.The deer slowly moved left,my plan know was to work back to the fireride take up position on the top looking down ,the deer would cross ,i would have a perfect shot....I radioed my new plan to my mate & waited...20 min later still broad daylight Charlie walked slowly out onto the ride,tiny little squeak he stopped,then dropped.one hour later,light fading out walked to doe fawns stood side by side on the ride , as i watched 15 deer trotted by right to left behind them to disapear into the undergrowth......they had not read the plan !!!

Back at the motor my mate recounted the lots of deer no chance to shoot tale to match mine ...except his had a nice twist ,a barn owl ,i would think the same one i saw last week ,landed on the high seat only inches from him , they spent several minutes eyeing each other up before it decided there was something not quite right and took flight. This was the 3rd time in his stalking life he has had this happen, i've never been that lucky . ....Ps he is extremley old ....good evening,out again in the morning

Edited by sussex