What Boots?

Well ..... I'll be buying British this time, was cleaning my almost new Meindl's today, I think it's quite poor that the rubber is peeling apart on the toe ........ cheap Eastern Euopean made crap is all they are these days.

That would be ok if they were £29.99, but at £190, it's not on!

Altberg will be getting my money I think.

As above though, got a pair of Lowas that are 5 years old now, really well made, no issues at all with them.

Hello All,

I went through the same dilemma on boots but my feet do not like lined/tex boots, my feet sweat too much and the boot then take's an age to dry out.

I bought a pair of Lundhags Scout boots from Penrith Survival, what a pair of boots, slightly expensive but awesome.

I treated them when I first bought them with the supplied Lundhags wax/feed and then a bit of Nikwax, I have gone beating and shooting all through the Pheasant season, never once leaked, comfortable, supportive and light. I would say treat yourself to a pair of decent woollen socks, they work on the using layers principle to keep your feet warm, a bit like how we use clothing layers to keep warm. When you get home remove the felt insole and they are dry ready for the next day, superb boot, I will never go back to a lined boot again.

I phoned Altberg to see if they could make an unlined boot, they could not, they also now mass produce most of there boots, it is a shame! What happened to good old british boot makers?

Lundhags are Swedish hand made boots and when you slip them on, you can tell, comfortable from new and the leather they use feels supple but still support the foot/ankle.

Hope this helps

John...

• Like 2

Well, I was going to put up my two penneth worth but John has written what I was going to put almost verbatim. I even got my Lundhag Scouts from the same place!

I used to wear Brasher Supalites and, although they were comfy, they only lasted one or two years. Unfortunately, due to them being so light, everything else I've tried over the last few years on my search for a replacement has felt too heavy...until I tried the Scouts.

John's right: you have to wear them with a different mind-set i.e. forget about the newer theory of how to keep out water and keep your feet warm and embrace the simplicity of decent leather, excellent waterproofing-wax and woolen socks.

I'm a convert! :toast:

• Like 1