Here's Are Patterdales For Bushing????

What a nightmare.I had the patterdale out for a quick wee hunt 4weeks ago on a spot thats not far from my dads house.Its a handy place to hunt high banks with thorn bushes dividing the fields so anyways the terrier was working the thorns when i herd her bark crashing through the bushes so i knew she was on a rabbit. The rabbit broke an headed up the line of the bank with the terrier flat out after it.The rabbit dissapeared down a hole and then so did the terrier as i know their was a rabbit warren their the year before But when i got up to it i knew it wasnt the same warren as last year Bigger holes an then i heard a big rumble?I do alot of ferreting so i knew it was no rabbit i started to panic so i rang my friend thats into digging dogs then the barking started.My friend said sit tight whats in will bolt then more banging their was five holes it was pretty big warren i could hear that they were moving around alot half an hour had past an still no bolt so rang my mate again an told him what was going on he said to get a shovel an dig to her so ran to get the shovel an back again panic stations ha! the bank was around four foot wide this time i could here her barking an banging pretty clear at the top of the bank so i knew she was not to deep as the rest of the times her barks were very faint.So the digging started a 2foot circle at 2foot i was on top of the dog 2thirds of her body was exposed her upper third still in the dead end she was ragging so i waited my chance an pulled her out i tought when i grabbed her first she was going to bite me the way she turned her head to me so quick,thank fook i got her.She got a few bites one over her eye under her chin was cut up pretty bad but to be honest not as half as bad as i was expecting she was hour under ground That sounded like world war 2LOL.Brought her back to my dads her puffing an me in the same way panting.This is the thing That has me baffled is 2days before hand she was running around my estate free when she ran into a huskey bitch that gave her a good shake an she submitted to it just dont get it.But when working thorn bushes the blood would be running from her hard as nails shes only around 14 or 15months.My last dog was a plummer terrier that i had for 15years soft as shite when in thorn bushes wouldnt over do it if ya know what i mean, But when it came to fighting other dogs any size dog he would get stuck into no fear.The patt only wants to play with other dogs or will this all change with age just said id share this with yee as i say im not into digging only to ferrets ha!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a picture of mine and jacko2009 patterdales mine black and tan bitch ????  

well then the lads are f****n lying b*****ds because im actually a bollix heh heh, all messing aside tho, the bitch was uo for sale for a low price to the right lad but when i met the lads in person

What a nightmare.I had the patterdale out for a quick wee hunt 4weeks ago on a spot thats not far from my dads house.Its a handy place to hunt high banks with thorn bushes dividing the fields so anyways the terrier was working the thorns when i herd her bark crashing through the bushes so i knew she was on a rabbit. The rabbit broke an headed up the line of the bank with the terrier flat out after it.The rabbit dissapeared down a hole and then so did the terrier as i know their was a rabbit warren their the year before But when i got up to it i knew it wasnt the same warren as last year Bigger holes an then i heard a big rumble?I do alot of ferreting so i knew it was no rabbit i started to panic so i rang my friend thats into digging dogs then the barking started.My friend said sit tight whats in will bolt then more banging their was five holes it was pretty big warren i could hear that they were moving around alot half an hour had past an still no bolt so rang my mate again an told him what was going on he said to get a shovel an dig to her so ran to get the shovel an back again panic stations ha! the bank was around four foot wide this time i could here her barking an banging pretty clear at the top of the bank so i knew she was not to deep as the rest of the times her barks were very faint.So the digging started a 2foot circle at 2foot i was on top of the dog 2thirds of her body was exposed her upper third still in the dead end she was ragging so i waited my chance an pulled her out i tought when i grabbed her first she was going to bite me the way she turned her head to me so quick,thank fook i got her.She got a few bites one over her eye under her chin was cut up pretty bad but to be honest not as half as bad as i was expecting she was hour under ground That sounded like world war 2LOL.Brought her back to my dads her puffing an me in the same way panting.This is the thing That has me baffled is 2days before hand she was running around my estate free when she ran into a huskey bitch that gave her a good shake an she submitted to it just dont get it.But when working thorn bushes the blood would be running from her hard as nails shes only around 14 or 15months.My last dog was a plummer terrier that i had for 15years soft as shite when in thorn bushes wouldnt over do it if ya know what i mean, But when it came to fighting other dogs any size dog he would get stuck into no fear.The patt only wants to play with other dogs or will this all change with age just said id share this with yee as i say im not into digging only to ferrets ha!

Did you get the quarry???

Head over to a nightclub......grab the biggest bouncer you see by the neck.....see what happens.......then you'll know why the dog submitted to a husky......

• Like 1

Hard grafter didn't get the quarry as I knew what it was.spinderelo I know ya tried TA warn me cheers for that bud I've a colar on her from now on when were out but never went TA ground since an she been out workin the last two weeks time will tell.voon I hear what your saying but the Plummer would of taking lumps of a husky or any big dog to be honest with getting a good hammering himself its just the patt is so placid with other dogs but yet under ground she was like a different dog after it happened she was trying TA jump a five foot wall at my dads TA get back at it again and her in bits I don't know it just has me stunned the change in her when under ground as I said as a bushing dog I'm well an happy an as a pet with my my four year old she never leaves his side it's been just an eye opener to the breed heart of a lion with honorable loyalty as a pet an guard dog can't fault her thanks for replys lads

Hard grafter didn't get the quarry as I knew what it was.spinderelo I know ya tried TA warn me cheers for that bud I've a colar on her from now on when were out but never went TA ground since an she been out workin the last two weeks time will tell.voon I hear what your saying but the Plummer would of taking lumps of a husky or any big dog to be honest with getting a good hammering himself its just the patt is so placid with other dogs but yet under ground she was like a different dog after it happened she was trying TA jump a five foot wall at my dads TA get back at it again and her in bits I don't know it just has me stunned the change in her when under ground as I said as a bushing dog I'm well an happy an as a pet with my my four year old she never leaves his side it's been just an eye opener to the breed heart of a lion with honorable loyalty as a pet an guard dog can't fault her thanks for replys lads

its a different story when its comes to quarry, had a plummer dog that wouldnt look at anything when there was a dog about, even left his quarry to stick in a dog. Went it for five mins and came out and ran straight into a patterdale dog....thought he was a pitbull......

• Like 1

Voon your right when she's on rabbits workin bushes you can tell if theirs rabbits about she because she won't even enter them she will smell around them an move on but when she's on a sent its like a switch goes off in her head.its pretty much the same as ferreting when the ferrets are pricking around in warrens u know to move on.the only thing was I was to

Believe that you have to train dogs to go to ground with older dogs or let them rag on dead quarry.this is just new ta me!one thing I have to say about the Plummer that I had is he was as cute as a fox only short of speaking to ya ha!

• 4 weeks later...

absolute crackers those 2 patts. I have a plummer x myself 16 months 15tts. Am trying to bring her on as a bushing dog. tbh i am finding it hard work but i think its down to the fact i am fairly new to all this. she will enter thick cover when something is about most of the time but some days she seems to have no interest. atb day walker

its good that the dog doesnt bother with other dogs, if it did it would eventually getkilled coz these little terriers think theyre bigger than they are haha
  • Like 2

Voon your right when she's on rabbits workin bushes you can tell if theirs rabbits about she because she won't even enter them she will smell around them an move on but when she's on a sent its like a switch goes off in her head.its pretty much the same as ferreting when the ferrets are pricking around in warrens u know to move on.the only thing was I was to

Believe that you have to train dogs to go to ground with older dogs or let them rag on dead quarry.this is just new ta me!one thing I have to say about the Plummer that I had is he was as cute as a fox only short of speaking to ya ha!

a ground bred terrier doesnt need training, its bred in em. They either have it or they dont lol
  • Like 1

Cheers day an night walker I hear ya their it can be very frustrating training terriers as you said they have to be in the mood to work I was out for a quick hunt with the lads the other day with their terriers bushing.My pat bitch was working f..k all while the boys dogs were bolting rabbits well.She was lucky she didn't have my boot mark on her arse ha! Just didn't want to work staying by my side.Thats huntin for ya thanks for replys lads!!!

Fonzie,you need to find some mates that will show you the score on digging,I'd hate you to lose your dog in a deep sett,patts will find holes you never knew were there previously and knowing where to hunt is as much a part of hunting as knowing where to avoid,find a mentor before you lose your dog,WM

• Like 2

thats how they most are like in the beginning . dont give her attention and soon she will run back the other dogs that are hunting..she still doesnt know her purpose

Cheers day an night walker I hear ya their it can be very frustrating training terriers as you said they have to be in the mood to work I was out for a quick hunt with the lads the other day with their terriers bushing.My pat bitch was working f..k all while the boys dogs were bolting rabbits well.She was lucky she didn't have my boot mark on her arse ha! Just didn't want to work staying by my side.Thats huntin for ya thanks for replys lads!!!

Fonzie,you need to find some mates that will show you the score on digging,I'd hate you to lose your dog in a deep sett,patts will find holes you never knew were there previously and knowing where to hunt is as much a part of hunting as knowing where to avoid,find a mentor before you lose your dog,WM

. Wirral countryman I hear ya their I'm goin to have to tag along with some of the digging lads to find out what to look out for and what to avoid.I wouldn't like to lose her.I haven't had her out since without a collar an a shovel in the van.I hear what you're saying though cheers?I don't want her to go to ground and I would stay well away if their were sets about as I'm not into it only bushing for rabbits...Auxm that's it she's still very puppyish an the best of us have off days ha!!!