Gps Tracking Collar, Retrieva System?

I would have two concerns about such a collar that is permanently on a lurcher: firstly, lurchers and sighthounds tend to have much narrower heads than other types, and the collar would have to by very tight and right up behind the ears if it was going to be impossible to pull off over the dog's head. Secondly, would having a bulky collar that tight right behind the ears when the dog was working affect its ability to breath hard/panting when running?

As a location device for dogs that disappear whilst hunting, it may be good, but as an anti-theft device, I have my doubts about using it on the 'pin heads'.

Its for location while working, im not so bothered about the anti theft features. I like the idea as its less obtrusive than the garmin, can stay on permanently and be tracked by phone rather than carrying a dedicated tracking unit all the time.

BUT ...

all the guys in the states or oz are using the garmin and i've never heard of this system before. I dont really want to be the guinea pig.

Its for location while working, im not so bothered about the anti theft features. I like the idea as its less obtrusive than the garmin, can stay on permanently and be tracked by phone rather than carrying a dedicated tracking unit all the time.

BUT ...

all the guys in the states or oz are using the garmin and i've never heard of this system before. I dont really want to be the guinea pig.

my mate has the garmin got it shipped over from the states he says its the best thing hes ever bought uses it for baiting cover with the hounds

BUT ...

my mate has the garmin got it shipped over from the states he says its the best thing hes ever bought uses it for baiting cover with the hounds

how do u work it on your lurchers then nancy i thought u just heard thenm bark and followed them.ps i see u might be getting a few of tommy next year.

Edited by hounddog3

BUT ...

how do u work it on your lurchers then nancy i thought u just heard thenm bark and followed them.ps i see u might be getting a few of tommy next year.

baiting cover with HOUNDS read my post grumpy. think not lol

Might be cheaper to use a GPS GPRS tracker. It is the same as the collar you are looking at, but without paying a subscription to the company. It will send you a text message as often as you want it to with longitude and latitude. You can then enter this into Google Earth if you have a 3G signal to find the location. I have a subscription version with some kids when out walking, but have found them quite unreliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Global-GPS-Tracker-Tracking-Device-4-dog-child-aged-pet-kids-SOS-GSM-/251187303569?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Other_Phones_ET&hash=item3a7bee1491

Might be cheaper to use a GPS GPRS tracker. It is the same as the collar you are looking at, but without paying a subscription to the company. It will send you a text message as often as you want it to with longitude and latitude. You can then enter this into Google Earth if you have a 3G signal to find the location. I have a subscription version with some kids when out walking, but have found them quite unreliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Global-GPS-Tracker-Tracking-Device-4-dog-child-aged-pet-kids-SOS-GSM-/251187303569?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Other_Phones_ET&hash=item3a7bee1491

Not interested in a cheaper unreliable version. If im going to spend then i'd rather get one that works, everyone rates the garmin and no one seems to use the retrieva so I suppose its got to be the garmin. Its just a bit blatant, lurchers get enough funny looks as it is without bright orange collars with ariels on!

Might be cheaper to use a GPS GPRS tracker. It is the same as the collar you are looking at, but without paying a subscription to the company. It will send you a text message as often as you want it to with longitude and latitude. You can

then enter this into Google Earth if you have a 3G signal to find the location. I have a subscription version with some kids when out walking, but have found them quite unreliable.

Sounds a right load of agg that mate even on permo!!! We struggle for a phone signal down here rurally let alone the luxury of 3G :)

If you need it cost shouldn't be a factor

• 3 years later...

BUT ...

I've been looking at the garmin tt15 mini track and train system and collars that work off your phone the only down side to them is they only works with your phone if you have got a 3G or 4G signal not a lot of cop when your in the middle of nowhere, plus do you really want to get your phone out when it is hacking down with rain, when I've saved enough to buy the garmin it will only be on the dog when working or training sessions,