Why Do People Think That Anyone With A Lurcher Is A Poacher?

The little village where I live is changing fast.Several large expensive houses have been built over the last couple of years,these are being bought by rich city folk.These people seem to think they own the whole village,but anyway,the other day I was taking my young lurcher out for an evening walk when I met some of these new folk coming towards me.I nodded and said hello,all I got was a grunt and a black look.As I walked on a bit I overheard one of the men say to his wife,'he must be one of the local poachers.' I let the remark pass but a couple of nights later I was in the village pub when the same couple came in with some other posh folk,'oh look,'one said,'there's that poacher chap again,i thought he would have been barred from here.'That was it,'madam' I says i'm sorry to tell you I am no more of a poacher than you are,'but you've got a poachers dog,'she says,I was getting mad now,'this is a lurcher,'I replied 'this one is a cross between a Saluki and a greyhound great for catching rabbits,not every one who owns a lurcher is a poacher,i used to be a gamekeeper and my son is still a gamekeeper and like you we don't like poachers.'The poshies looked abit shocked,but they did have the decency to apologise and now when I am out with the lurcher I even get a wave from them.Great eh.

Every time you point out to someone on here that when you are poaching you are potentially ruining some one elses hard won sport, not to mention jeopardising their permission,you get a dozen springing to the defence of the" over the fence" poster, saying ,"we all do it" .and calling you an anti.

Perhaps some of those townies browse on here?

If they do, its not hard to see how their impressions of lurcher owners would be arrived at.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was just about to reply but saw that you dont like poachers

All the lurcher owners I've ever known were poacher's, so I think these posh folks were not so far off really.

The lurcher has always been a poachers dog, just because a few are now in the hands of people with a bit of privilege or pet owners, doesn't alter the fact, that the vast majority of working lurchers

any one with a saluki cross should be a poacher if they arent, they are not doing it right, :thumbs:

You've just confirmed their predjudices for them.

The lurcher has always been a poachers dog, just because a few are now in the hands of people with a bit of privilege or pet owners, doesn't alter the fact, that the vast majority of working lurchers still belong to poachers.

• Like 7

The little village where I live is changing fast.Several large expensive houses have been built over the last couple of years,these are being bought by rich city folk.These people seem to think they own the whole village,but anyway,the other day I was taking my young lurcher out for an evening walk when I met some of these new folk coming towards me.I nodded and said hello,all I got was a grunt and a black look.As I walked on a bit I overheard one of the men say to his wife,'he must be one of the local poachers.' I let the remark pass but a couple of nights later I was in the village pub when the same couple came in with some other posh folk,'oh look,'one said,'there's that poacher chap again,i thought he would have been barred from here.'That was it,'madam' I says i'm sorry to tell you I am no more of a poacher than you are,'but you've got a poachers dog,'she says,I was getting mad now,'this is a lurcher,'I replied 'this one is a cross between a Saluki and a greyhound great for catching rabbits,not every one who owns a lurcher is a poacher,i used to be a gamekeeper and my son is still a gamekeeper and like you we don't like poachers.'The poshies looked abit shocked,but they did have the decency to apologise and now when I am out with the lurcher I even get a wave from them.Great eh. :bye:

city folk buy a site an think they bought the county

The little village where I live is changing fast.Several large expensive houses have been built over the last couple of years,these are being bought by rich city folk.These people seem to think they own the whole village,but anyway,the other day I was taking my young lurcher out for an evening walk when I met some of these new folk coming towards me.I nodded and said hello,all I got was a grunt and a black look.As I walked on a bit I overheard one of the men say to his wife,'he must be one of the local poachers.' I let the remark pass but a couple of nights later I was in the village pub when the same couple came in with some other posh folk,'oh look,'one said,'there's that poacher chap again,i thought he would have been barred from here.'That was it,'madam' I says i'm sorry to tell you I am no more of a poacher than you are,'but you've got a poachers dog,'she says,I was getting mad now,'this is a lurcher,'I replied 'this one is a cross between a Saluki and a greyhound great for catching rabbits,not every one who owns a lurcher is a poacher,i used to be a gamekeeper and my son is still a gamekeeper and like you we don't like poachers.'The poshies looked abit shocked,but they did have the decency to apologise and now when I am out with the lurcher I even get a wave from them.Great eh. :bye:

f***ing Jackanory... :yes: ....What posh townies would dream of drinking in a pub with lurchers in it......?.. :D

f***ing Jackanory... :yes: ....What posh townies would dream of drinking in a pub with lurchers in it......?.. :D

As soon as some of these well heeled and over educated types make their brass and head to their rural idyll,the tweeds and barbours are worn as a sign of their self acceptance as the new guardians of everything that befalls them,a farmer that does,nt follow his herd around with a poop scoop,a shooter that does,nt take all the lead hes projected at fluffy pheasants,home,a gardner that does,nt doff his cap as they pass and a mongrelly mutt and its less appealing owner that as the sheer audacity to frequent their new watering hole.The lurcher owner must learn to accept their place and act accordingly,or shit on their manicured lawn and scratch their arse the next time their paths cross.

• Like 2

Kind of the same round here lot of rich folk moving in building houses worst of it is there all retiring age English folk had some fights with old folks last year couse I've been gill netting down the bay infront of there brand new house that they built on the shore telling me what I was doing was illegal and I was spoiling there view of the bay so I gave a quick repley its not illegal and if u don't like it why did u build a house were I've been netting for the last 17 years so if u don't like it go build a house in ur own f***ing country can't say they were very pleased

• Like 1

I was just about to reply but saw that you dont like poachers :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No I don't like poachers.The ones who just take the odd rabbit or pheasant for the pot are not so bad,but the other sort who take everything they can are a menace.I was a gamekeeper for several years and had quite a few confrontations with these sort,they have threatened me and also my wife and family,some of the things they have said are unreapeatable.One of my sons is still a keeper and he has also had trouble with the organised gangs of poachers. :tongue2:

I was just about to reply but saw that you dont like poachers :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No I don't like poachers.The ones who just take the odd rabbit or pheasant for the pot are not so bad,but the other sort who take everything they can are a menace.I was a gamekeeper for several years and had quite a few confrontations with these sort,they have threatened me and also my wife and family,some of the things they have said are unreapeatable.One of my sons is still a keeper and he has also had trouble with the organised gangs of poachers. :tongue2:

Do you read the daily mail / Cuntrymans weekly by any chance ?