Busy Couple Of Days Cont:

After mondays outing tuesday's got cancelled due to a bad back,i must have pulled something when lifting the deer and was'nt a problem till i went to get up tuesday morn and could'nt,got booked in to the osteo for later that morning, he pulled twisted,stretched,bits of me that i did'nt know i had ,job done .Rested it tuesday & wed ,took loads of pills as well and out again this morning.

Same place as monday same time, same weather,same start,Today i only had till 9.30 to shoot because they had a firm coming over to do a survey for some event they have planned for the summer, so i only had 3 hours.My first place to look was the back of the offices again,same as monday from the office path across small carpark there where about 30 deer bunched in the far right hand corner , not ideal but not to much of a problem, there was a couple in the middle of the field & as day light was approaching i could see it was a doe with a fawn.I was laying down waiting for the doe to present a shot when the fawn made a strange movment ,as i watched he had great difficulty moving,no apparent injury but he was clearly in trouble,he had to go,he lurched to his left, stumbled a few feet and was down.the doe took of to join the big group to my right , who wer'nt that bothered by the bang ,they all just walked through the hedge into the next field. Letting them get clear i walked over to check out the fawn ,touched its eye ,no reaction i pulled him to the edge for collection later.

As every thing weatherwise was the same as monday i decided to look at Long field again with the wind in my favour i went around our boundry to the bottom wood stalked right through the very bottom of the wood to the grass track that comes out the long field ,every thing was going to plan . the last 200m of the track is steep, very steep (not scottish steep)& as dug in & pushed for the top looking down instead of up i neared the top,stopping for a breath (i know you dont do this jockland) i looked up , 3 does were looking down at me .I froze and stood frozen for 15 min no one moved a muscle until i could'nt stand the pain in my back anymore,i had to concede defeat & move .They bolted right ,all was not lost as i wanted to look left at the top so giving them a few minutes i moved forward.As i did so they bolted out from my right across the track & into the field to join what i could now see was a group of about 20 fallow .they all in turn went farther left into the next field.

Deciding the games up for time it was now 9am i turned started down hill to go back the way i came,much easier going down iturned right along a little track the deer made that run paralelle to the field about 100 m on i noticed a movment to my right just about in the field, the swish of a tail, stopping i glassed up the wood and field 7or 8 deer just to my right about 90 m , no clear shot yet but if i could get 20 m right i could come up behind the root of a fallen chestnut , i inched foward on hands and knees gently bending bracken stems down to stop them rustling & reached the tree.Slowly getting to my feet i had a perfect rest on the fairly fresh root ball, i selected a doe and she fell....9 19 am .the others disapeared into the wood none the wiser from were the shot had come.Walked over ,no need to touch the eye it was dead.

Walked back to get quad.pick up 1st deer ,down for second ,had to drag a little way out but not to bad.Gralloched cleaned out ,the fawn looks like it has suffered a car hit, compleatly bruised all down one side & back legs its a chucker unfortunatly.home for coffee & breakfast.

• Like 1