Longest Run.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plodding behind till the hare eventually runs out of steam...... Not my idea of coursing or enjoyment. All this worship for dogs that take 6 minutes to catch a hare, where does this come from? Serious

Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs w

To my mind it's a waste of a good hare to kick it out the seat then throw your dog on top of it !

sit here and see how long five mins is its a long time ran dogs on the fens and field a 2 min run is a long time tickles me how people come out with my dog ran a hare for a good 5 mins when really it would have been 2 mins :laugh: why would you want to time how long the dog as run any thing some funny folk about :thumbs:

here in ireland very hard to get big long runs but iv watched a few but they were no five mintue courses 3 mins or a bit more my own run one till the hare stopped he was only young maybe a more expireance dog would have done it quicker but that hare just lied down had enough dog got it that was a few mins

The main reson a dog has to run a long way is because it hasnt caught the hare. The average slip for a lurcher is around 5 to 10 yards which means if the dog takes 2 minetes to catch it. It is because it can not strike very well. Many a good whippet could catch them off slips like that, so its no big deal if a lurcher does. End of story.

• Like 1

I've had a few dogs that wouldn't have stood a cat in hell's chance of catching a hare off a fair slip: they could nab them easily if they were put up out of their seat a few yards in front of the dog, but that ain't coursing, and never a fair test of hare or dog. Hares take longer to get into their stride than rabbits: a lot of so called 'wonder dogs' would have built their reputation on kick ups: or so it would seem from some of the videos I've seen.

I've had a few dogs that wouldn't have stood a cat in hell's chance of catching a hare off a fair slip: they could nab them easily if they were put up out of their seat a few yards in front of the dog, but that ain't coursing, and never a fair test of hare or dog. Hares take longer to get into their stride than rabbits: a lot of so called 'wonder dogs' would have built their reputation on kick ups: or so it would seem from some of the videos I've seen.

There are alot of lads whos dogs have only cuaght kickups and miss on a fair slip. The bad thing is they rate these dogs and breed out of them and sell the pups for silly money !! I allways let a hare have a good few yards before i slip otherwise what is the point. All the best

A top notch hare will take bout 5 mins to be caught I don't care if its the best fast killing dog in the country if it drops on the right hare it will take that long and if it can't stay that long it won't catch it, and a dog that can't kill a top notcher can't be considered to be top class, also I think you have got to know the dog to know how good the hare is because if you see a 5 min run with a dog you don't know you can't assume it was a very good hare because the dog mite be crap and a different dog mite of done it in 2 or 3 mins, like I say got to know the dog to know the hare

very true lucas run one yesterday for 5 mins

I agree with that,If your were out mooching it could happen,But then Ive seen them somehow dodge the first couple of strikes and get running.

But if you have a dog who can only catch a hare by exhausting it is that a true test?

If id had to have one or the other id rather have a dog to mug the odd one out the seat.

Edited by weasle
  • Like 1

are the hares on the fens different to hares elsewhere? its been a longtime since i ran a hare(1993 was the last time) but if any of my mongrel lurchers had taken any more than 3 mins to catch a hare i would have been very dissapointed!

Ohhh aye, they are super hares or so I'm told. It's down to the good feeding, game crops etc and all the exercise they get from the plodders

Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs would piss allover the high number of hares to be found. On the places all and sundry went, same dogs, totally different story!.

• Like 4

are the hares on the fens different to hares elsewhere? its been a longtime since i ran a hare(1993 was the last time) but if any of my mongrel lurchers had taken any more than 3 mins to catch a hare i would have been very dissapointed!

Ohhh aye, they are super hares or so I'm told. It's down to the good feeding, game crops etc and all the exercise they get from the plodders
Hares definitely vary enormously , I ran the fens twice a week for a few years. On a Sunday morning, half the country was there! Now find a corner out of the way, no one else knew about and the dogs would piss allover the high number of hares to be found. On the places all and sundry went, same dogs, totally different story!.
thats why some lads that go on permission that only gets run 2 or 3 times a season are kidding there selfs when knocking big numbers over get the same dogs on rabbits that are run every day and its a different out come
  • Like 3

watched a run a couple of week back that was getin on for 5 mins, first 2 the bitch was all over it then she was just bascially following 40 yards behind. there was no cover about and the hare just kept runing round in circles. after 4 mins she got back to it and should of killed it but again it pulled away, this time heading for a back garden and this is were she lost it. she would usually kill in the 1st 2 mins but she was just back off an injury. nice to see she has extra in the tank!

any hare given fair law this time of year is not going to roll over easy but hares do vary in differant parts of the country . but i gotta say them fen hares after christmas up to end of feb are real ball and heart breakers.and give a running dog a real test. and anyone that thinks fen hares are easy at these times aint giving the hare fair law imo.

• Like 1