So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Sowed some cabbage.cauli.broccoli and tomato seeds today. picking up a gold silkie cockerel tomorrow put him over some light sussex bantams for sex linked chicks later in the year.

ill buy some of them eggs of you later on Darbo.

no prob joel. you can have some for free.the silkie cockeral has settled in well and is treading the hens good style.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Think I will try to grow some rice this year on my heavy northern england clay if we are going to get as much rain again,lost all my winter onions,the green shoots grew but the waterlogged bulbs rotted,last years crop lasted for months,hope we can all have a better season this year,about time we had some sunshine anyway atb

was going to give my patch one last turn over before i get the rake out and the tilth right, at the mo , its under 3" of snow, frozen hard crust under it, and soaking wet under that !!, think i'll leave it a day or two lol. i planted my giant onion seeds ito trays on an inside window sill, also got sets to plant out as well, thought i'd try some "el lobo" ? seeds, as i have never tried growing onions from seeds, meant to be real big ones, interesting to see how they / if they turn out lol.

Was gonna plant my runner beans seeds at the end of the month as well :icon_eek: , inside of course, we'll have to play it by ear i think. On a poultry note, these black rocks that i have, are the best i ever had for laying to date, hardly slowed up all through the winter at all, and a good quality egg shell from one season to the other, no going thinner as some hybrids i have had in the past have. They cost me more, but am going to get some more soon to top up the flock.

The white hen is still laying good at 7 years of age. came on the plot one morning and someone had thrown these 2 along with 4 others in 1 of the pens not a clue what is in them.

ferretingpics508_zps9bccd233.jpg

• Like 1

nice light sussex. You dont see the ones where the black cape goes right around the neck these days, some go most of the way, but rarely do you see some who go all the way around nowadays. i like light sussex myself, but they dont compare as layers to the black rock imo, but a very pretty hen all the same.

The Sussex look nicely marked,the white hen looks like a leghorn x aracuna or cream legbar.

If you go on hens4homes. Website they do a hybrid called sapphire that looks suspiciously like it.

Ithought a leghorn cross myself the rest of them that were thrown over were a very mixed bunch.

nice light sussex. You dont see the ones where the black cape goes right around the neck these days, some go most of the way, but rarely do you see some who go all the way around nowadays. i like light sussex myself, but they dont compare as layers to the black rock imo, but a very pretty hen all the same.

i have had hybrids for over 20 years but never black rocks. i like what i have read and heard about them. i will get some in maybe next year. :thumbs:

The Sussex look nicely marked,the white hen looks like a leghorn x aracuna or cream legbar.

If you go on hens4homes. Website they do a hybrid called sapphire that looks suspiciously like it.

Ithought a leghorn cross myself the rest of them that were thrown over were a very mixed bunch.

sapphire%20cock%20&%20hen.jpgthis is one i was thinking about,hooked kids off pc so i could copy n paste lol.

sapphire%20cock%20&%20hen.jpgthis is one i was thinking about,hooked kids off pc so i could copy n paste lol.