So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

18 hours ago, Borr said:

Excellent, missus has two plots on an allotment, she's gone over to mostly soft fruit now as it's our biggest expense fruit/veg wise as kids can graze there on four varieties of raspberries, strawberry, pine berry, goji , login, Tay , red/white/black/blue Berry's , she's off there tomorrow for some prep....

Some cordon style fruit trees a load of fruit bushes and a big bed of strawberry’s are planned for both plots. 
Just trying to wrap my head around everything else to get going this year.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, borderboy said:

Some cordon style fruit trees a load of fruit bushes and a big bed of strawberry’s are planned for both plots. 
Just trying to wrap my head around everything else to get going this year.

Yep fruit can take a few years to establish and give decent yields, they also seem to fluctuate on fruit every other year, hopefully this will be year of the raspberry. I got missus a load of pallet bands which are handy and easily moved for veg and strawberries...

Right gents, gonna take a punt at growing my spuds in bags this year, only to get more variety in my veg patch.

Recommendations are for 7- 10 gallon bags. Looking on eBay etc they cost a bleeding fortune, anyone know where I can buy cheap, no frills, spud bags. Wanting about 20/30...?

34 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

We used dog food bags mate, any old placcy sack will do,‘don’t overthink it, roll top down an stick some soil in them some spuds an cover, water when you doin everything else an keep covering tops of plants an unrolling top of bag until you are using it all an plants die, hey presto a bag a spuds, tip into wheel barrow sort them out an use soil somewhere else? I got worst green fingers ever an even I done excellent with mine ?

Nice one Don ?, your dead right, I am overthinking it...

For the past 3 years i've put my spuds in the ground but this year thought I'd do bags. Just lashed two dog food bags out too ?‍♂️

I'll ask the lads and get a load of em ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spuds have reached the topIMG_5650.JPG.9001267bdf067925cfd33f39003d4d06.JPG

Couple rows of little Gem one called Moon Red one ordinarily.

IMG_5656.JPG.2650f42d3903dcccd8028e3b4d21951f.JPG

Six of these Runners Beans ( White Lady ) need to go out but frost this morning. Perhaps tomorrow and will fleece them.

IMG_5643.JPG.98d1ac0deb9175ad8b86375d933bb47f.JPG

Put the strings on Tomato's this morning.

IMG_5635.JPG.e7624047e6b12e9afbd688912b837e78.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Well on there Arry! 
bloody miles behind with mine after having covid, combined with a 7 month old that’s seemingly given up sleeping. 
Potatoes and onion sets in this week. Had a load of plugs going on the kitchen window cill, but not had very good germination ? which is disappointing. So got a 2nd round going now, and going to sow as much as I can direct ?

• Like 1

Nice one guys. I've got some tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce on the window sill. Have planted some potatoes in pots. Will be planting the veg patch with French Beans, Potatoes, Onion Sets, radish, beetroot and carrots this Saturday. Held it off for a week due to this weeks colder weather. Plastic growing frame going up soon. 

Cheers. Aled

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aled said:

Nice one guys. I've got some tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce on the window sill. Have planted some potatoes in pots. Will be planting the veg patch with French Beans, Potatoes, Onion Sets, radish, beetroot and carrots this Saturday. Held it off for a week due to this weeks colder weather. Plastic growing frame going up soon. 

Cheers. Aled

Think we are lucky down here in Devon that much earlier and mind we did have a frost Tuesday but got the Lettuce under some wire weld mesh with micro mesh on them. They are brilliant I have trouble with Pigeons Sparrows and cats so I cover a lot of my stuff.

Will put some photo of the cloches I use as they are so useful.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2